Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I know it's not a Rav but I have an Avensis Verso aka Picnic which has 1AZFE engine. It stalls out with a cel if attempting to drive it and has the following error codes: P0141 - o2 bank 1 sensor 2 -- voltage signal out of range
P0161 - o2 bank 2 -- voltage signal out of range
P1135 - a/f sensor bank 1 sensor 1 -- circuit malfunction
P1155 - a/f sensor bank 2 sensor 1 -- circuit malfunction
P1310 - ignition coil is set when there is no IGF signal to the ecm during engine operation.

Any suggestions where to start. The problem was one that got worse over time. The fact it's multi sensors says common problem to me.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,175 Posts
Welcome to the forum

As you say multiple codes pointing to the same thing - I can not believe both would go bad at the same time, so hold fire on the parts canon for now

The circuits and/or heaters on both sensors are throwing codes - I would do a thorough inspection of the harness from each sensor back to the ECU. Look for damage or pinch points and repair as necessary. Look at the connectors and check for corrosion - again repair as necessary (for P0141 and P0161. The others are the same).

Can you use the OBD2 to report back live data to see what the ECU is seeing - specifically on the O2's - I would be interested if the front sensors oscillate and the rears are reasonably stable - just trying to get a feel if there is any other wiring damage.

P1310 is looking like a wiring/short to ground issue too.

Do you have a lot of critter intrusion where you live? Would not be surprised if there was not a wire or three that have been chewed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum

As you say multiple codes pointing to the same thing - I can not believe both would go bad at the same time, so hold fire on the parts canon for now

The circuits and/or heaters on both sensors are throwing codes - I would do a thorough inspection of the harness from each sensor back to the ECU. Look for damage or pinch points and repair as necessary. Look at the connectors and check for corrosion - again repair as necessary (for P0141 and P0161. The others are the same).

Can you use the OBD2 to report back live data to see what the ECU is seeing - specifically on the O2's - I would be interested if the front sensors oscillate and the rears are reasonably stable - just trying to get a feel if there is any other wiring damage.

P1310 is looking like a wiring/short to ground issue too.

Do you have a lot of critter intrusion where you live? Would not be surprised if there was not a wire or three that have been chewed
Thanks for that. I will get under the car and check things out. I will have to check the app to see if I can get the live readings.

·
Registered
250 Posts
P1155 - a/f sensor bank 2 sensor 1 -- circuit malfunction
This had me scratching my head, as the 1AZ is an inline 4 engine, so there’s only one bank. Then I looked up the description for a P1155 - Air/Fuel Sensor Heater Circuit. (Bank 1 Sensor 2). That’s the sensor downstream of the cat.

Here’s what my source lists for all your codes:
P0161 Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low B2S2
P1135 Air/Fuel Sensor Heater Circuit Response. (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P1155 Air/Fuel Sensor Heater Circuit. (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P1310 Igniter Circuit Malfunction - No. 2.

That first one still is for bank 2, which doesn’t make sense. Are you sure it’s P0161?

The heaters in the A/F sensors commonly fail. You can verify by measuring resistance across the two black wires on each sensor. It should be a small number of ohms, like 10 or so. When they blow, it’ll have infinite resistance.

Reactions: Bigphil555

·
Registered
77 Posts
bank 1: cyl 1&3, bank 2: cyl 2 & 4
sensor 1: upstram of CAT A/F adjust
sensor 2: donstream of CAT O2 monitor
I have changed all 4 on mine, 3 developped the heater circuit fault!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts