Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is bill, I'm on my girls name b/c I'm not a forum person. Has anyone fit a 1mzfe into a rav? We would like to do it b/c of plentiful parts, its light weight and TRD super-charging capabilities, together the engina and s/c weigh some 100 pound less than the more common 3s swap. Someone let us know please! :idea:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
your looking at a complete drivetrain swap there. the 1mzfe fits in the highlander but it has a whole different setup as far as tranny and flywheel setups. if it can be done you are looking at engine, tranny, driveshaft and transfer case replacement. not to mention the shere size of the thing presents a problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Try sourcing one from an Estima 3.0 AERAS-S

Maybe you can try and see if the SteerShift Mode function can be retained in the RAV4?

That would be an interesting project......... 8)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spokemaster said:
your looking at a complete drivetrain swap there. the 1mzfe fits in the highlander but it has a whole different setup as far as tranny and flywheel setups. if it can be done you are looking at engine, tranny, driveshaft and transfer case replacement. not to mention the shere size of the thing presents a problem.
alright the 3sgte tranny fits in teh rav4. the 1mzfe was swapped into a 3sgte MR2 they left that tranny in it and the tranny hooked right up to the 1mzfe. the mr2 with tthat swap can beat ANY 3sgte mr2... but it has a supercharge slapped onto it - this is why i am doing this instead of the 3s.

i plan to do an ENTIRe tranny swap b/c my tranny is an automatic! i need 5 speed fooooo

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds fun

i am not saying that this would not be a really cool project. i thinks its the best engine swap storey i have heard here. i am little concerned about a couple of thigns. 1. if you are planning on supercharging the 1mz-fe you are going to be looking at a minimum of, say, 280 hp and about that in torque. the problem you are going to find is that the transfere case, half shafts and rear diff are rated for no more than about 250 ft/lbs of torque. i know this because my uncle helped develope them. you could push it, but its almost certain to blow with that much twist. 2. money. a used 1mz is going to cost at least $2500, a 3SGTE tranny another $1000, a new ECU $1200 custom work $0-2000 and a supercharger about $4000. i know its sacralidge on this forum but it occured to me that shelling out $7500-10000 (for just the engine swap) on a car with a value of about $7000-$8000 (kbb for 1997 4x4) is just silly. i love my rav a LOT but after years of upgrades in bikes, computers, cars and anything else i can tell you that you are going to be putting a lot of money into it that you will never get out. if you are determined my hat is off to you and i want to see pictures, i want to tell you that i would be jealous if you pull it off.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
This should be an interesting swap. I have a couple of questions if I may.

Will this engine fit in a RAV4.1?
Will any modifications be done to the engine compartment?
Will it hook up to a RAV4 FWD 5 speed gear box?
You would also have to change the OBC, correct?
Can the front suspension hold the extra weight?
How much Horsepower will it add?
Is it really worth it? $ To power ratio compared with a 3SFE turbo kit, or a 3SGTE engine installation?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
spoke, I got pics of my 3S-GTE swap if you're interested. Costly, but well worth it. You'll never recoop funds put into the RAV4 in resale, but think of it this way - to do something on this big of a scale, would you really want to? You'd have to be loopy to try and get a good resale value out of a turbo-swapped RAV4... it's a labour of love dude. I been doing mine for over 3 years now, and I still haven't finished. :shock:

1MZ-FE will probably fit in the engine bay, but I gotta say a V6 in a 4.1 bay will be a tighter fit than my 3S-GTE swap. If you get it in there, you'll most likely have to modify the engine mounts, swap gearbox for something more useful like the Celica 6-sp box (apparently bolts right up to it) or at least the stronger gearbox that the 1MZ-FE came with originally.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I was asking the net regarding this same swap. [a 1MZFE into a RAV4] and this gentelmen was kind enough to share some of his knowledge. He has a V6 MR2. His name over at Toyota nation is QuadCamSix. This is what he had to say regarding the swap.

Sorry to keep responding to your threads with information your may already know. But, this may help other people in the future who are doing a swap in the RAV4

The 1MZ, 3MZ, 3VZ, and 5VZ will all bolt up to your transmission (AT or MT) Three of your motor mounts will work just fine with any of these motors since the mounts are on the transmission. You will need to fabricate the 1 mount for the motor. You wont have to weld on the chassis at all but, you will have to make a adapter/bracket so the motor can bolt to the stock motor mount location. Some people say you can run with only three motor mounts, DO NOT DO THAT!

Now, there are some important differances between the V6 motors. The 1MZ & 3MZ were designed with FF drive in mind so, they have a few things that make the swap easier. The height of the MZ engines is also less so they can fit under the good of camry's n such.

The vz series engines (mostly in trucks) feature LONG runner intake manifolds to boost low end torque. The intake manifolds stick up about 4" higher than the manifolds on the MZ series motors. Because of this some swappers may have trouble with hood clearence and the stock intake. Contact me for an adapter plate that removes about 3" of height from the intake manifold setup. The VZ engines also tend to have oil pans with baffels and deeper sumps (to prevent oil starvation on steep inclines). These are nice to prevent starvation if your car can pull a lot of lateral G's too The problem with this is that the pans stick down so low that some cars may have problems with ground clearence. If you want to see what im talking about Ill post some pics of how low my 4WD 5VZ pan hangs under the car. BEWARE, the crank differs on the 5VZ a/t vs the m/t engine!

This is very interesting information. Also, i also learned that the 3SGTE engine is heavier then the V6 1MZFE. The 1MZFE is ALL aluminum. So that is another point towards the V6 Swap.

I just had to post this one

Come Back! :wink:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A v-6 in my '98 AWD Rav? Now I am curious.

As for the afore mentioned problem with the rear dif, didn't the rear dif out of the Japaneses AWD version of the celica (circa '98, '99) have a much higher torque capacity? Also, conceivably, with some modification, couldn't the half Shaft from that work also? And the auto tranny from one would work (since it would work, in theory with a 3s-Gte swap) with the new engine. Giving me, in theory, 200 some odd horses. Andrew, didn't you use all the compnents from a celica to get this power? Any input?

Everyone else agree, or is this idea flawed?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I used the standard GT-Four running gear for my conversion. I needed it. The torque on the rear end is that great you need to get the diff reinforced to the floor pan support. The gearbox I used out of an ST205 GT-Four (triple-synchro's in first/second/third, double-synchro's in fourth/fifth) it's not going to strip gears not matter how much power you put down. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hmmmm.... this is really grabbign my attention.... especially since the main reason im thinking about getting a 07 RAV is because of the V6 option... really going ot have to look into this one.... anyone come up with more info? I search and just found stuff thats already been said.

Oh, and would anyone happen to know where to get info about switching a auto-tranny to a manual? Power-shifting from L>2>D gets old after a while :roll: :lol:

And about that super/turbo hybrid above.... those things are AWSOME. a while back we did that kind of setup to a Acura RSX.... DAMN.... low end torque of a S/C+high end power of a turbo= (gets new set of undies) that thing was a beast....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, but now the question is how many of us are going to do this. I was looking at the engines on e-bay, they don't really cost more than the 3sgte, so in all reality, the swap should be near the same price. The biggest question for me is can I really stuff a 3.0 liter into the stock engine bay of a '98 Rav4?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From the sounds of it, if I don't turbo or supercharge it, and run the engine off of the cars, the headers wouldn't be a problem. And I think getting a few custom pipes made wouldn't be THAT expensive, right? If I don't have a turbo, I don't need an intercooler. So running an NA V-6 would work just fine. The next question, how hard is it to add venting to the hood? I would want to allow the hot air to rise, kind of like the venting for an EVO. That would allow for a cooler engine bay, and maybe, if you did turbo, a smaller intercooler, correct?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Who ever takes on this project must understand that it will take some time to install. First of all, you must just install the engine and make it streetable. Then from their on, depending on your wallet. go for the turbo system. Running it first one the street will take out all the bugs. One thing is for sure, the exausht will have some issues. I'm not sure, but i think TRD makes some headers for this engine. Correct me if I'm wrong guys?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Fair!

He needs to come to Michigan and do mine instead!

I need a sponsor to afford a swap like this :cry:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts