Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw someone post this for 4th generation but thought it would be much more interesting for the 1st gen.
Mine is a 98 2-door that has 275K with original engine. I'd like to see what others have logged.
Go!

·
Registered
399 Posts
kneelo claimed 400,000 miles on his '97 AWD back in 2013:

https://www.rav4world.com/forums/83-4-1-general/132962-wooooooooo-400-000-miles.html

I remember a few years back that there was another member who had 450K miles, I think from commuting in the LA area (I seem to remember the Rav was an all black L).

I recently saw a '98 on craigslist that had 360K miles, and I come across '96 and '97 models at the junkyards fairly often that are in the very high 200's (like yours). I can't tell the mileage on the junkyard '98+ because they are digital.

I have 204K miles -- the only repairs I've done that weren't "normal maintenance" were to recently replaced the sway bar links, re-seal the spark plug tubes last year, and replace a rear wheel brake cylinder a few years ago.

They are great little machines!

·
Registered
451 Posts
203,861-mi.

·
Registered
451 Posts
438,579 km. = 272,520-mi.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all just joined my 5 door VX has 218000 mainly motorway miles just had herself a new coat of paint well impressed! Had a 96 version but this 2000 in Millennium silver seems even better...hoping for some winter weather to test her now..Ruby Rav is 18 years young and just came of age! Even the factory fitted alarm still works I know as Iaccidentally set it off when I hosed her down high pressure today 😁 Nice to get to know you all....

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi all just joined my 5 door VX has 218000 mainly motorway miles just had herself a new coat of paint well impressed! Had a 96 version but this 2000 in Millennium silver seems even better...hoping for some winter weather to test her now..Ruby Rav is 18 years young and just came of age! Even the factory fitted alarm still works I know as Iaccidentally set it off when I hosed her down high pressure today 😁 Nice to get to know you all....
What did you pay for the paint job?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems our 3 99 2 door "MAX" models which I think was an Aussie only special are babies compared to the readings above-highest is 298,000 kms and lowest is 224,000 kms. Anyone know the life of 1 of these engines? The nearly 300,000 km 1 is getting noisy compared to the other 2.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Red 1996 RAV4 at Pick-N-Pull salvage yard, San Antonio, had 336,000-mi. on analog odometer. (Had it been digital, no way to have known this.) Sadly, o/a 31DEC2018, she was taken to the scrap yard to be crushed, after being ''picked out''-- according to the Office. She wasn't wrecked so I believe perhaps-- blown head gasket? I picked the pair of perfect-condition tail lights from her, which I refinished beautifully... perfect shine... and still have. I also retrieved her headliner's 3-Grab Handles: installed one on my '98 RAV4's driver front headliner-- holes were (of course) already in-place: looks cool even though not-Stock. (Holes are there for passenger on Right-Hand drive RAV4s.) Also picked assortment of bolts, nuts, washers, mish-mash, coolant reservoir, fuses, rear RH mudguard-- considering "one bolt" can cost upwards of $4.00 at Dealerships. Alas, 336,000-mi.: good run for the sweet little Lady that is no more!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats the trouble with all the older cars being only held for so long in wrecking yards before they are scrapped. Here in Adelaide South Aus they are turning them out after all the fast moving parts are off them and then sending to be crushed. Makes you cry when you think in 10 more years there won't be that availability of these. One of our cars was bought from Queesnland and had been on the beach by the look of corrosion around some seat bolts and yet the body is as good as new so will keep even if motor needs a rebuild. Hated the look of these when they first came out but our 1999 "MAX" models with the front underbumper skirt,side skirts and rear window air dam and all over paint instead of those big black unpainted bumpers and side mouldings look a lot nicer. Seems Japan must have done a run of these all at once as they all have the same production month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw someone post this for 4th generation but thought it would be much more interesting for the 1st gen.
Mine is a 98 2-door that has 275K with original engine. I'd like to see what others have logged.
Go!
I have a 2000 rav4. Not there yet but running strong 181000 all original besides back door got smack in the back

·
Registered
451 Posts
Jaramie b
Did you repair your rear door? If so, how & where did you get the part(s)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A little late to the conversation but my 98 Rav4 AWD (center diff. lock) 5-Speed, is at 359,000 miles and still going strong. She gets around 30 mpg on the highway. Clutch is needing to be replaced but the whole sub-frame assembly removal scares me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
A little late to the conversation but my 98 Rav4 AWD (center diff. lock) 5-Speed, is at 359,000 miles and still going strong. She gets around 30 mpg on the highway.
How are you achieving 30-mpg on a RAV4 at 359,000-mi. Share your secrets, help us all. My 1998 RAV4 has improved recently, getting up to 29-mpg mixed City/Hwy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How are you achieving 30-mpg on a RAV4 at 359,000-mi. Share your secrets, help us all. My 1998 RAV4 has improved recently, getting up to 29-mpg mixed City/Hwy.
Well where do i start... I chased around what turned out to be a bad fuel filter for the better part of 3 months. In the many dead ends, I deep cleaned my egr valve and relocated it's vacuum switch. I then de-carbonized my motor pretty good. I eventually figured it was the fuel filter. What kept me from thinking it was the filter is that it would hesitate but then run up in rmp just fine. The old oil pump gasket gave out and it lead me to adding oil constantly unitl I replaced it as well. So i would say that fresh oil, good cleaning of the emissions and intake system, and thanks to the finicky slippy clutch, slow rpm increases would go a long way. It'll start to drop economy after about 70 mph though but that's ok for me here in slow Ol'Oregon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts