Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1st Gen replacement

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jamguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Bear with me as this is like a little game. Our 1st Gens are all approaching that time in their lives where it's getting more challenging to keep them going. I hope the day never comes where I have to give up mine. However, I thought about a replacement, and only wish we do get them here. One option would be an upgraded Suzuki Jimny, the newer models are really nice looking and fun to drive. Toyota could rebadge it, modify it to meet US requirements and bring it here at some point (wishful thinking). The other is a "Baby Renegade" that Jeep is currently testing in Europe. Will we get it....and with a manual option is anyone's guess. The third might be a new Hyundai Kona type, in the works with a Manual transmission much like what the Veloster has (slick and smooth). Last on my list is if Mazda would "shrink" its CX5 to 3 doors, include all the modern infotainment electronics, and offer it with a manual! What would be your "Dream Replacement" concept for your 3 dr 1st Gen, Manny Tranny?

#3 ·
Agree. Really love those cars. I read an article that the cost for Toyota to rebadge them and do the mods necessary to get them up to US safety standards is what is causing a barrier to them doing so. I'm sure there'd be a market here for them. Anyway, hoping that other car manufacturers will come up with a good substitute. The Hyundai I saw is really the best option but not sure if it'll come to the US.

#5 · (Edited)
It's not that I'm looking to buy a different car. Was just trying to explore options that I hope will eventually come to the US for those of us who like small SUVs. Unless Toyota decides to bring the Jimny here, it will never happen. They have started to make a small CUV called the Raize that looks nice but not imported here. Guess they feel there is no market here for small SUV/CUVs.Currently renting a new Honda HRV. Sits nicely on the road but lacks the power of my 1st Gen Rav

#6 ·
Jimmy! they are a pretty solid little sausage , my mate would go mud plugging in one never got really stuck but did burn the clutch pulling out the odd land rover! next I would like to try the jeep not sure how good they are or later model RAV but nothing beyond the MKII I think they got kind of ugly after that and a bit flabby.

#8 ·
I'd buy a Jimny today if they came to the U.S.! I think the spiritual successor is the Corolla Cross: the original Rav's were based on toyota cars of the time and this one is obviously using a Corolla platform. No manual transmission though. I would also consider a Jeep Renegade with a manual if they didn't have fiat motors in em. For now I'll just stick to old cars

#9 ·
I agree with you about sticking to "old cars". Mine is in the shop being worked on and , since for a while it was touch and go, I started to do some basic research on the "new" offerings and came to the conclusion that nothing is as good as what I have. Looked at you tube videos, driver forums for each car etc, and for each of them, there were no rave reviews. The forums all had their complaints about recalls, and poor gas mileage. Some had CVT woes with software issues being the worst. There's just no subsititute in sight for our mechanical 1st Gen marvels! Driving a Honda HRV rental at the moment and loving all the modern stuff, but press on the gas and the car struggles. Good ride, good height, great suspension but anemic as Hell! They say the 2023 redesign has not helped either. The Cross is roughly the size of the New Rav so is a bit too big for me. So, yes, the Jimny would be my best bet if only..........

#11 ·
Should get back my revitalized "Baby" next week! Doubt we will ever see anything in the US from Toyota that is smaller than the Cross. Saw some of the smaller offerings they do in other countries e.g the Aygo. Really cute! Looks like it's built on a Yaris platform. Guess my dream is still that somehow, they (or another company) will rebadge the Suzuki Jimny with its new upgrades and bring it to the US.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.