Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...on an inclined surface.

I was dropping off some items for a garage sale at my in-laws yesterday and attempted to reverse up a sort of steep driveway. It's one of those houses where the sidewalk presents a big "lip" that you have to get over to get onto the surface of the sidewalk/driveway.

Anyways, the rear axle made it over, but then the truck basically "gave out". I applied more throttle, heard the engine rev up, but no movement!!

In reverse, only the front wheels do the driving, right? 4WD doesn't come into play in reverse I don't think (but don't know for sure!!).

Anyways, this was pretty annoying.

I did the same manuever this morning and the vehicle made it up fine.

Weird.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I hate those steep driveway curbs, I need a little momentum to get up those with mine.

I have noticed that my parking brake does not hold well when parked headed up a steep hill.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Got to love those rear disc's!!! '01 drums (park brake) hold on anything.

Not sure if the transfer will do the same in reverse in Auto mode but if you hit the lock button it sure does. This may have helped you reverse over the steep incline. With any automatic and a fairly "low torque" motor, steep inclines can present a challenge if you bind the wheels into the toughest part. Maybe 1 foot of free room behind the wheels and a little more throtle would have resulted differently.

I've had mine in some tight spots and felt the "underpoweredness" (new word) of the RAV on many occasions. I'm not the type to complain though because I don't need 1200 horsepower for my daily drive around town. On occasion it would be nice but I'm OK with the amount of fuel it burns now.

Later. M.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Marcutio said:
What does the rear discs have to do with this? Pretty sure the parking brake mechanism is a drum brake style on the 4.3. It's the drum within the disc style.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am suprised by these "low torgue" comments and the comments about backing up a steep grade etc. I really don't undrstand the problem. How would a v6 Rav4 pull a 2000 lb. boat and trailer up a launch ramp from a cold start if it was "low torgue'? What am I missing here folks?

·
Registered
420 Posts
CONAN said:
Anyways, the rear axle made it over, but then the truck basically "gave out". I applied more throttle, heard the engine rev up, but no movement!!
{...}
I did the same manuever this morning and the vehicle made it up fine.
I do not get it, how did you get out? Waited until morning?

I had the same thing happen to me. And it happened when I did a 3-point turn on a fairly sharp edge or rib of a hill, so going forward was a ravine. The car got stuck with the nose pointing into the ravine. I shifted out of reverse and into the 1st and let it move forward a little bit. Then I controlled the roll with the parking brake, shifted to reverse and rocked it out with low RPMs.

I knew I would not be stuck completely because I had guys with hi-lift in the group, so we could winch the thing back. But still...

The incident had all signs of a torque converter stall.

·
Registered
420 Posts
JIMD4 said:
I am suprised by these "low torgue" comments and the comments about backing up a steep grade etc. I really don't undrstand the problem. How would a v6 RAV4 pull a 2000 lb. boat and trailer up a launch ramp from a cold start if it was "low torgue'? What am I missing here folks?
You are missing that the 1st gear is lower than the reverse in RAV4.3. This is actually quite common for some reason, moreso on cars with automatic transmissions. There's an explanation here:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission9.htm
On manual transmissions, the majority of cars have reverse which is lower than the 1st gear, but not always. On Neon, the A578 it uses has a taller reverse than the 1st. I dunno who I am supposed to race in reverse...

·
Registered
420 Posts
mhgsx said:
Marcutio said:
What does the rear discs have to do with this? Pretty sure the parking brake mechanism is a drum brake style on the 4.3. It's the drum within the disc style.
On a car with disc-drum setup, the parking brake engages real rear pads, which grab the big drum. On a car with disc-disc setup, the parking brake engages little teeny weeny shoes which grab onto a small diameter drum. The drum has to be smaller in order to fit inside the disc. Because the drum diameter is smaller, the force of the friction has to be be proportionally higher in order to counteract the same torque (cars of the same weight and on the same size wheels will create the same torque when parked on the same incline). Also, the quality of the liner on small parking-only shoes may differ from the one on normal shoes. This is an effect you can easily observe if you have a friend with the same kind of car, but different arrangement. For example, PT Cruiser.

Or RAV4.3 models only come with disc-disc brakes and thus have little parking drums. So it's possible that Marcutio can park on a steeper grade, especially if he replaced OEM shoes with ones with a different liner compound.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
signs of 'converter stall' ... huh? converter stall is the point where the rpm is enough for the converter to make forward movement. Heres how you test what rpm a torque converter stalls at.. Stand on brake .. hard. Bring up rpm until the the rpm stops going up. THAT is the converters stall speed.. I have no idea what you are talking about.. BTW most stock non racing converters stall at about 2000-2200 rpm

.[/quote]
I do not get it, how did you get out? Waited until morning?

I had the same thing happen to me. And it happened when I did a 3-point turn on a fairly sharp edge or rib of a hill, so going forward was a ravine. The car got stuck with the nose pointing into the ravine. I shifted out of reverse and into the 1st and let it move forward a little bit. Then I controlled the roll with the parking brake, shifted to reverse and rocked it out with low RPMs.

I knew I would not be stuck completely because I had guys with hi-lift in the group, so we could winch the thing back. But still...

The incident had all signs of a torque converter stall.[/quote]

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Well I learn something every day I guess. But I really do have trouble with the idea that just because reverse is different ration the forward that the truck will not back up a steep grade. I don't own one yet or I would go try it.

·
Premium Member
7,424 Posts
I don't believe it either, I had to turn around at a really bad spot when I was offroad that first trip, there was no wide spot, so I just turned around in the single track road, one side had a pretty steep bank, the other side a deep ditch, so I backed up the bank half a car lenth, had no problems in 4-lock. It was steep enough that my hitch took a divot out of the bank on approach to the way up!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the posts folks.
Note: when I experienced the problem, I did not have the 4WD lock on. However, I had thought that the 4WD, if it works in reverse, would kick in the situation I experienced anyways. Guess not.
Also, with respect to torque: I have the V6. The thing is a bat out of hell in almost every instance. PLENTY of power going up steep hills, etc when moving FORWARD.
I have not experienced the same problem again. I have tried the manuever again and again, no problems each successive time. So maybe this was an isolated incident.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

On the same "lip" of my in-laws' house driveway/sidewalk and in a slight rain, I experienced front tire spinning and no forward progress scenario.

Obviously the tires were trying to find some grip on the wet lip and couldn't. However, in these conditions, shouldn't the 4WD kick in torque to the aft wheels to literally push the front end over the slippery lip surface?

I got past the lip by backing the RAV and then accelerating forward, taking advantage of vehicle momentum.

Perhaps in this particular instance I didn't engage enough throttle to demand more torque from the engine (and therefore more torque to evenly distribute to the rear wheels). I didn't gun the throttle after I heard the tires spinning on the thought that it would just produce more tire spin.

Anyone can educate this imbecile on what I could possibly be doing wrong here?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point flyingn.
It doesn't seem these features are working. I'm going to see if I can come up with some "tests" to check out this out. If anyone has some suggestions for testing, let me know.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
in fact over winter I stopped my rav ona partch of ice and floor boarded it. The computer took over and throttled back (way back) and the 4 tires took their turns getting me going. The VSC light came on too. When the traction control comes on this lights goes on .. Did yours?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No lights; nothing.
You experience though brings up the topic I alluded to: perhaps I didn't put in enough throttle. If I understood your post, you sort of floored the throttle to let the computer take over.
My test: I'm waiting for another rainy day and doing the manuever over again; I'm going to try to spin the front wheel(s). Then I'm going to gun it. I'll report back with my findings and pay special attention to the dash indicator lights.

·
Registered
420 Posts
flyingn said:
in fact over winter I stopped my RAV ona partch of ice and floor bparded it. The computer took over and throttled back (way back) and the 4 tires took their turns getting me going. The VSC light came on too. When the traction control comes on this lights goes on .. Did yours?
All I know is that my VSC light flashes on uneven gravel. Seems to work ok. I did not have an opportunity to try it on a slippery road, we don't get ice here at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts