Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our RAV4 now has 2500 miles on the clock and we only have one concern. Whilst the gearbox is much smoother than other cars we have had. 1st to 2nd Gear always seems a bit rough. Every other gear change is perfect 3rd to 2nd, 2nd to 1st etc. Is this adjustable, could it be the clutch needs adjustment ?

I thought I would check with you guys before the dealer tries to tell me 'Theyr'e all like that'. Thanks

·
Registered
986 Posts
It's the same with any Rav, many people (including myself) have commented on the rough shift between first and second gears. I believe part of it is because first gear is not synchronized, however I think that pertains more to shifting from second to first as opposed to shifting from first to second. If shifting through other gears is fine, then I don't think anything is wrong with the clutch.

Since your Rav has only 2500 miles on it, you should let it break in a little bit more to see if things improve.

I do know there are quite a few members of this board from Europe who drive the Diesel Ravs, so they can help you out.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't really noticed this roughness on our NRG D4D, but yes it can be a little notchy as it exits first gear and enters second, especially if you push the lever across while holding the lever in the palm of your hand (I tend to change it using my thumb and first two fingers, thus allowing the lever to bounce back slightly when it hits a tight spot before clicking into the next gear) I find that the change can be quite rough on all gears if you try to force the lever

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st to 2nd Gear

I have raised the problem with my local dealer and await a reply.
Quite a few people on another UK forum have noticed this 'feature'

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To change the topic slightly, do keep an eye on your wheels and disc brake "top hat sections" It seems to be a problem for all UK Toyotas, but the alloy wheels do start to corrode quite early in life, and the brake discs develop small spots of rust too. Our car is on a 52 plate and have just had the wheels and brakes replaced under warranty whilst it was in for its second service. It seems to be a known problem for Toyota, and there was no problem with Oakmere Toyota in Northwich sorting it out for me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
gear change 1st to 2nd

ive had 2 ravs now ,both nrgs ,1 being 2.0 petrol,present 1 being 2.0 d4d,gear change 1st to 2nd has been same in both ravs,disapointing from a toyota,but i live with it....

·
Registered
48 Posts
First Gear IS syncronized, only old grain trucks don't have syncro'ed first gears.

Find my thread on running ATF in your MT...I'm telling you, it's a world of difference.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine has this "feature" too. I found that trying to change the gear by pulling the lever straight from 1st to 2nd can be very rough especially during cold weather. I actually use kind of a swinging motion from 1st to 2nd allowing the lever to slip to the right towards the idling point and then pulling it left and down to 2nd.
My wife has a Korean car which shifts the same since new. It's a weird way of shifting but we can live with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts