Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear from you guys that live up north where it gets really cold and have the 4 cylinder, but is your Rav4 cold natured like mine is? I noticed that my 05 that I just traded was the exact same way but you can really tell when it is 30 degress or colder that it just doesn't want to get up and go until the engine warms up. It was cold here this morning and I noticed that my 06 is the same exact way until I drove it for about 10 minutes and the engine warmed up. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Well, really, all engines (especially diesels) in all vehicles need to be warmed up a little for optimal efficiency, unless you're talking all-electric. Gets the engine oil circulating better after sitting in the oil pan at low temperatures, which makes all the engine's moving parts move that much more smoothly and fluidly.

It's not a myth, old wives' tale or urban legend.

That's why manufacturers offer engine block heaters in cold climate regions.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it just seems that mine is more cold natured than my 4.2 model was. Try punching the gas before the engine gets good and warmed up and you will see what I'm talking about.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cold natured? I don't think there is such a thing as cold natured. Like the earlier post, all engines will react the same way in really cold weather. The further up north you get, the likelihood that you will need a block heater increases. Also, it does help to warm up your car before hammering the gas pedal. When I say cold I am talking about -25 celsius(-13 Fahrenheit ) or colder. A few years ago in Manitoba, Canada it was so cold (-40 celsius = -40 Fahrenheit), my buddy didn't go to class, because any exposed skin freezes in like 5 mins or so. So yes, cold natured or not, ANY engine will take some time to warm up.

:roll:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok well I used the wrong terminology then I suppose. What I am trying to say is the Rav4 doesn't want to "get up and go" until the engine has been warmed up for at least 5-10 minutes. My last Rav4 was the same way. Yes, I know every car is like this because I have owned a bunch of different makes and models but it just seems that the Rav4's are really bad about it. The only other Toyota's I have ever owned was a Corolla and was not like this.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I highly doubt it, my parents have owned a Nissan Multi, Mazda 626 and now a Mazda MPV. After a few years all cars have or had to be warmed up before they could get up and go. The newer the car the easier it was to start and get up and go. Besides who is foolish enough to start their vehicle in the dead of winter with -20 degree celsius temperatures and just hammer the gas pedal. Most people ease into the gas pedal on really cold days....unless of course it's company vehicle and they don't give a dang about the vehicle.

Sounds like one of the people I dealt with at work a few years back. The person mentioned that they think they found a delayed Y2K problem. Hehehehehe...these mystery issues will keep any mechanic on their toes.
:shock:

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Hummmm, sounds alot like me, I am slow going on a cold morning too lol.
Seriously, I live in New England and I have a Toyota V8 and its the same way. All engines are like that to a certain extend. You should never "punch it" as you say, before the engine is fully warm up. That is a sure way to drive your engine to an early grave.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since you had a Corolla that you could just step on the gas and go, without any lag in the cold weather....I am curious as to how long your vehicle lasted? :shock:

·
Registered
66 Posts
A technician at the dealership spoke to me about this. He said that this was perfectly normal. He said that Toyota programs the computer to "safe-guard" the engine from severe damage when it's cold by reducing available power until normal operating temperatures are reached. Many manufactures are now programming their vehicles this way.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehehe...not related, a user called me because her mouse wasn't working and I went over to take a look. She mentioned that her mouse was sticking every now and then, so she sprayed some WD-40 inside her mouse. Well it worked for a little while, but then it stopped working completely. DOH!!! It just goes to show you that not everyone has the same ideas as to how to care for and use their computers or vehicles. Remind me not to lend you my car in the winter, just in case you want to just get up and go, without warming up the car. :shock:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Corolla I had was a 1999 with 158,000 miles and never ever had any work done to it except fluid changes, minor tune up and oil changes. And it's not like I drive like a bat out of hell but I live off a major highway so I have no choice but to "punch it" on cold mornings sometimes, it's either that or get run over by people doing 70 MPH.
Anyways, that solves the question about why it seems like the engine has no power when it's cold outside. These computers in vehicles control everything nowadays don't they.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now you tell me how many people sit in their driveway and do that? I usually go outside when it is cold outside and crank the vehicle and let it sit for 5 minutes so the heater is nice and warm but that doesn't help, I'm not about to let it sit there longer than that because that's just crazy and it's not like it's 10 below outside. I live in Georgia so it never gets below 20 degrees anyways.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I do, perhaps that is why my 99 Camry with 175000 miles still does not use a single drop of oil. I wait until the RPM drops to a certain level before driving off.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me too

Not to revive an older thread, but I was searching for just this to either ease my mind or make me consider a trip to the local Toyota service center. My 05 only has 7000 miles on it, so it's not like anything's in need of maintenance, so I was concerned about my RAV being sluggish until it reached operating temp. Now, I'm not living in a cold climate, and it's springtime out here right now, but I still notice the hesitation/sluggishness in the throttle response when I first get on the road in the morning. It's fine once the temp needle gets to where it's supposed to be. And I'm not stomping on the gas either, I'm good to my cars, especially when cold. But this 2.4 isn't a speed demon and you need to have a little get up and go when turning on to the main drag. It's like first gear is ¾ power and then 2nd is like ½ power, feels like it slows down when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Then, in 2nd, if you give it a little more gas, it reacts like it's towing something and then at 35-40mph, it kicks in (for what 'kicking in' is worth for this engine). I'm not punching it or anything, just giving it a little more gas in 2nd and it acts like I'm drowning it. Funny thing is, I thought I didn't notice this when I first bought it. And it was colder out too when I purchased it in December. Weird. I suppose this is normal and I'll try to not worry about it. I just never noticed this on other vehicles, but then again this is my first automatic transmission ever, out of eight vehicles since I was 16. I've been driving for 23 years and vehicles do not need to be 'warmed up' for 10 minutes. Start it, put your seat belt on, shades on, radio tuned, and go. My Del Sol has 240K on it and it still runs the same way it did whan I bought it in 1993. It's not sluggish when cold. My S2000 (sold last year) does have a safeguard though, the LED temp gauge has to have three bars lit before the engine will let you VTEC, which means you do not, under any circumstances, take the RPMs over 6K until you get three bars. After that, taking it all the way to 9K is fine (and I sure do miss it).

·
Registered
145 Posts
I know you should not do this but ...

I just got my Rav 4.3 a month ago. I used to have a Jeep GC. You started the engine and took off. This morning, I started it up, switch to reverse and gave gas, I could hardly back up on the drive way (incline)

Then I had someone behind me on my street, switched to D and gave gas, and this thing was crawling until it warmed up a little. The RPM would not even go up to 1500-2000. This was at 70/75 Farenheit. I'm worried what's gonna happen when the temperature really goes down.

So, ...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Willy, it's Interesting. I did not hear of the tranny refusing to downshift like that before. Did you try to force it with the stick? Please let us know if it returns.
-- Pete

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry if I misled you...

What happened to me was not a shifting issue. On reverse (no shifting there) even though I applied pressure to the gas pedal, the engine did not seem to rev up. I assume the computer simply disregarded my wish because the engine was cold.

Same thing happened when I tried to get going. The transmission was on 1st, and I have to go up a slight incline, and the car had no power (as if I had not given any gas, or very little gas).

I think that's what folks refer to as the 'hesitation' due to the electronic throttle.

In any case, that's what I think happened to me. Not shifting, but just the computer refusing to give gas.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts