Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

My wife has a 2011 Rav4 Base 4wd with the 2.5L. It has been a great car so far. We bought it with 20k mile on it and it just turned over 54k.

The past month or so, the car has been having rough starts. It idles fine after it's running, but the whole car shakes and it doesn't sound like it wants to start. Occasionally with the remote starter, it takes 2-3 times to start it.

Is this normal for the 2.5 after this point of mileage? There are no codes being thrown. I change the oil every 5k miles and all of it's fluids are full.

If this is something any of you have had problems with a might no a simple solution to it let me know. I'll throw in a pic for good measure:

Thank you!
Greg

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hmmmm....no, definitely not normal w/54k on it. It not only idles ok after starting, but does it run fine in all other normal driving?
Does it crank longer than normal?
Did you get a bad batch of gas?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
You might want to clean the throttle body.

·
Registered
162 Posts
clean the TB as suggested, additionally clean the MAF with the proper cleaner/procedures and check your air filter......I would try a stock filter from your local dealer, I did read somewhere that you should go back to the stock filter from Toyota if this condition is persistent(tundra forms), strange the owner also had a 2011 rav4 2.5l and mentioned his wife's RAV started doing the same thing, cleaned MAF and change to a stock filter, problems resolved on both vehicles....??) I have the 07' l4 oil eater, ZE7 work was done and it seemed to crank more to start it as i recall, older starter - rebuilt- tight motor? i did go back to stock fliters for everything(oil & air) and in our case with the 2.4l motors and all the soot clogged up A/F and O2 sensors I replaced both to give everything a "fresh start", work done at 149,500 miles...now at 180,100 all is well, hope this info helps and Good Luck to you!

P.S.....the car looks great, keep it up!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I'll look into cleaning the TB, MAF and a new air filter. And yes it performs perfectly fine just starts rough.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll look into cleaning the TB, MAF and a new air filter. And yes it performs perfectly fine just starts rough.

I had a Ford (never again) with a very similar issue. It turned out to be a bad fuel pump.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Can it just be due to an underpowered battery?
yes, could also be an issue, if it's the original battery, i would replace it, especially with the summers heat and AC always on, could also be the fuel pump as mentioned or combination of both,check battery/fuel pump pressure and voltage drop at fuel pump......the OP is looking for a Quick-Eval assessment, so all of our input here can get him going on this and ultimately peace of mind, not sure of his/her automotive skill-set with the proper tools or abilities......cleaning the TB and MAF with an original air filter from TOYOTA is fairly easy with to do, it's the route i would take.....then look at the battery and fuel pump, pump would be the last thing i want to do, but yes would need to be ruled out. Could also be the coolant temp sensor at start up, that would involve a higher level of "skill-set" troubleshooting and limited to a vehicle that has been sitting an extended amount of time or overnight. on the Tundra Forum I referenced, it was going back and forth due the OP on that forum using a K&N filter of his current persistent issue with Tundra truck (excessive or longer crank times/rough idle at cold start) and a prior Ford truck with no issues(i find that hard to believe) , so he was real adamant that was not the issue, so he "caved" in from all the other guys on there to go back to the factory air box/filter, i think he just cleaned the MAF in the end and his problem was resolved, another guy mentioned he had the same issue with his tundra and his wife's 2011 rav4 2.5L , cleaned the MAF and installed a stock Toyota air filter, prior air filters in both vehicles were the FRAM Tough Guard AF, his results were the same......no problem at cold start relating to rough idling and start up crank times went back to when the vehicles were new?? Hope this information we all provide can get our OP on his way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed the air filter and cleaned the MAF. It is much smoother starting now. I was going to clean out the throttle body but I didn't have time and the other two seemed to do the trick. Thanks for all of the help guys!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wanted to post on this as this happened to the Rav4 last month in case anyone has a similar issue. Cold starts were rough and would shake the car with several attempts needed to start the car. Once the car was warm there were no issues. There was no CEL but I went to get codes and it was something with throttle body and cylinder 2 misfire and the guy at autozone said it was likely buildup as the battery was good.

I picked up some seafoam spray to see if it was buildup.I followed instructions but for some reason not too much white smoke came out while I was putting it in. After letting it sit for 15 minutes I took it for a drive and all of a sudden the car started to stall and a giant cloud of white smoke came out. At the same time the check engine light, traction control and 4wd lights came on. It scared me for a sec but I kept driving it as it was in the middle of the road and I needed to get the seafoam out. The huge clouds continued for about 10 more minutes.

The rough start hasn't come back since and the lights went off in a couple days.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wanted to post on this as this happened to the Rav4 last month in case anyone has a similar issue. Cold starts were rough and would shake the car with several attempts needed to start the car. Once the car was warm there were no issues. There was no CEL but I went to get codes and it was something with throttle body and cylinder 2 misfire and the guy at autozone said it was likely buildup as the battery was good.

I picked up some seafoam spray to see if it was buildup.I followed instructions but for some reason not too much white smoke came out while I was putting it in. After letting it sit for 15 minutes I took it for a drive and all of a sudden the car started to stall and a giant cloud of white smoke came out. At the same time the check engine light, traction control and 4wd lights came on. It scared me for a sec but I kept driving it as it was in the middle of the road and I needed to get the seafoam out. The huge clouds continued for about 10 more minutes.

The rough start hasn't come back since and the lights went off in a couple days.

Seafoam is an impressive cleaner, though some still think it's snake oil.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts