Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Toyota RAV4 Limited and I'm thinking of buying a 500 Lb Capacity Cargo Carrier (Aluminum)
This is to carry luggage..Its L is 47", W is 20 " and a H of 6"...My question does a Class lll, 2" receiver which
I can buy on ebay, present any problem to install..?? They claim its a bolt on with no drilling...
Just wondering if anyone has done this and if they encountered any difficulty...?? Many Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2017 Toyota RAV4 Limited and I'm thinking of buying a 500 Lb Capacity Cargo Carrier (Aluminum)
This is to carry luggage..Its L is 47", W is 20 " and a H of 6"...My question does a Class lll, 2" receiver which
I can buy on ebay, present any problem to install..?? They claim its a bolt on with no drilling...
Just wondering if anyone has done this and if they encountered any difficulty...?? Many Thanks
Installing the hitch is pretty easy, you will have to move the little bracket on the muffler slightly and may have to
trim one of the plastic covers underneath........but very easy

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Be aware that hitch rack capacity is limited to the vehicle tongue weight limit which for a Rav4.4 is ~150lbs with a class III rated hitch. Use the 4.4 Search this forum feature to find previous hitch discussions, there are several with pics and suggestions for hitches, the most popular are the US made Curt and Torklift, as well as the Drawtite and Reese which are made in Mexico. The Torklift Ecohitch and one of the Drawtites are hidden hitches, only the receiver shows below the rear valance, not the cross tube.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Be aware that hitch rack capacity is limited to the vehicle tongue weight limit which for a Rav4.4 is ~150lbs with a class III rated hitch.
This is so important I want to make sure the OP sees it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to both you and Quickdtoo..I did not know the tongue weight was 150lbs...I will use the advise wisely...Again, Many Thanks...The 2 to 3 suitcases I plan to carry will not weigh more than max 125 lbs..(I doubt that much)...Will use a scale to verify...

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Thanks to both you and Quickdtoo..I did not know the tongue weight was 150lbs...I will use the advise wisely...Again, Many Thanks...The 2 to 3 suitcases I plan to carry will not weigh more than max 125 lbs..(I doubt that much)...Will use a scale to verify...
Weigh the cargo carrier also.

Here's a similar thread from another forum. I gave the same advice.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/721-rav4-3rd-generation-2006-2012/1513178-loading-capacity-hitch-mounted-cargo-box.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Cargo Carrier I'm looking at is Aluminum, rather then steel so this should help with the weight factor...I've towed before with my Suburban and years ago towed a Ford Probe with our Motorhome., so not totally a greenhorn..Certainly was not aware of the tongue weight and do appreciate the information....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts