Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Basil Toyota Internet Mgr said:
My deal - on a high demand vehicle - is $500 over invoice. If I remember correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you paid more than this for your RAV.
Am I hearing correctly, you are offering to sell V6's at $500 over invoice? Do you have any on your lot? If you are willing to sell them for that price, hats off to you. Sure, I paid more than $500 over invoice on a loaded V6 Ltd, almost walked out on the deal, but still paid less than most I have heard or read about who purchased the V6. The only dealer I have heard that was selling V6's around $500 over invoice was Fitzmall in the Baltimore/DC area, and people were flocking in from all over the country to get them there.

Let me ask you this..... could you have found exactly what I wanted, color and option for option within 3 weeks, without having to order from the factory? My dealer really impressed me with their out of state connections, since no other dealer in my area was even able to see my vehicle and it's location online. The others told me I'd have to order from the factory and wait 8-12 weeks. I had mine 3 weeks to the day after putting down a small deposit.

If you are sincerely offering to sell the V6's at $500 over invoice with no BS, then you have my blessing (and I'm sure, from others on this website) to use this post as a means of subtle advertising to prospective customers!!

OC

:wink:

B

·
0 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The Rav of your choice at $500 over invoice. Here's the link: http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3295

Now that you've stopped attacking me :wink: , I will tell you that you technically got your Rav for invoice. (As far as the dealer is concerned.) Obviously you know that you got a good deal because they didn't charge you for the JBL. In addition to that, if they flat bedded that from VA, the $ to pay for it came out of the $ over invoice.

We all have the same pull, but not everyone wants to absorb the extra expense. If you had actually gotten them to go to $200 or $300 over invoice.... you would probably still be waiting. So hats off to you, actually, for realizing the law of supply and demand. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
^^^ I agree, if you think the extended warranty isn't a good deal, then you don't have to get it. From what I've seen, this individual works for a dealer and has been nothing but honest and gracious - let's give her a break!

I for one appreciate that she's offering $500 over invoice on a model that's:

1. In very high demand (and supply is a little short right now) and
2. Most dealers aren't willing to budge much on sticker (especially with the V6)...

Just my $0.02...

DJ

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok, Basil, we can be friends now! :wink: Encourage your new RAV customers to join the forum and post about their buying experiences here. Also, I'm sure you're aware that some other dealers are getting some good exposure on Edmund's Toyota RAV4 2006 + forum - if you're selling $500 over invoice the word will get out on that forum also.

Your buddy,
Torquimada The Grand Inquisitor
er... OC :lol:

B

·
0 Posts
LOL. Well I'm glad that I finally convinced you that I was a friend not a foe.

Car dealers are not ALL bad! As with any stereotype.... it's not true of everyone.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Let me ask you something OC. When you go to restaurants or food shopping do you ask the waiter of check out girl what their price is for their product and then offer them a certain percentage over the price they pay setting their profit? You would not be allowed. WHY in the Automotve sales world do you expect the same??

OCInsomniac said:
No, they're not all bad - just the ones that insist on MSRP or close to it, regardless of the supply or demand. :)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Flyingn,
Because when I go to a restaurant or food shopping, I don't plan on spending 1/3 of my annual income. Let me ask you something.....
When you go to purchase a new house do you pay what the realtor/owner is asking? Diff is it's a major purchase that can make or break a family's budget. And in this particular instance (auto shopping) it's easy to determine what you should or shouldn't pay.

OC

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I hear ya and understand but lets be honest here. If you save 1000 off the price of a car how much a month are you saving on your payments? over a 5 year repay you save $16 a month. $2000 saves you $32 a month.. both hardly worth worrying about..

·
Registered
654 Posts
Bottom line, dealerships are not non-profit organizations. They are there to make money, car salespeople earn a living selling cars and making money (for themselves and the dealership). I'm all for them earning a living and making a "reasonable" profit from my purchases. And if a dealership wants to charge MSRP, it's their choice. I'll just find another store that has prices I'm willing to pay. I make similar decisions when I buy other things, such as clothes. Nordstrom, Macy's, or Target. Or Marshall's, who often compare their prices to big dept. stores.

As far as MSRP, many (most) of the items we buy on a day-2-day basis are retail priced. Milk, bread, detergent, etc. all are priced around some retail price (probably using cost-products pricing). Cars aren't that much different. Getting to the final retail price is not as simple as I've made it here but they all work from similar foundations in determining cost to consumers. And OC is right that the bigger the ticket item, the more complex pricing gets.

We are already seeing changes from the traditional way of buying cars. There's quite a few dealerships around the country that don't operate on commissions. Internet shopping and the availability of info (eg, dealer invoice $) are also playing a huge factor. IMHO, we'll see a larger swing to a newer way(s) of buying cars in the next decade that are more (informed-) consumer friendly. Maybe then, the norm for car salespeople will be like Kristi (Basil) and less stereotypical.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Why are you sugar coating this Carol? You can NEVER change the stripes of a zebra. They are what they are. I have been buying new cars at dealerships for the past 35 years. There has been no change over the years. Car delers are the most buyer beware businness that I now of. They are FACT second only to the cell phone industry in the number of complaints to the states AG's office. Why do we think that is???

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sugar coating? All I can say is that I'm talking about economics, trends, and the complexity of the consumer market, not about the ethics of salespeople. I certainly can't change (or care to) whatever distastes you or anyone else has for certain types of salespeople or industry.

P.S. Why do I think things don't change (or change slowly)? Because the majority of the consumers are still willing to purchase the traditional way. Consumers can affect the demand as well as buying power. Just enough of us have to want to force a change.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Inlets said:
Car delers are the most buyer beware businness that I now of. They are FACT second only to the cell phone industry in the number of complaints to the states AG's office. Why do we think that is???
You got that one right bro...... you might also add the insurance industry to that list, and I'm not just stereotyping. Doesn't anyone do their homework anymore?

Any dealer that wants to use this forum as an advertising tool and to share their perspective is welcome.....but they're gonna get grilled by the Grand Inquisitor!! :lol:

Hey, flyingn -
My avatar shrunk - yours is bigger than mine!! :lol:

OC :wink:

·
Registered
654 Posts
LOL. After contributing to bringing this thread waaay off topic, in order to help get us somewhat back on track of what OC started, I did a quick inventory search of some dealerships in So Cal.

I was only able to find 8 V6 with various trims (there's still a few in LA that I didn't search). Some sites don't list which ones are 4-cyl or V6. I know of maybe 3 San Diego dealerships that have V6's on the lots that don't have searchable inventory on their websites (they've emailed me saying they have them in stock for test drive). The good news is that there are quite a bit of the 4-cyl now in So Cal.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts