Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009, Base model, I-4, FWD

The basest of base RAV4s. I'm coming up on 200k and have our annual trip to the mountains in August. I bought it at 109k and have only changed the oil, transmission fluid, one brake job/resurfacing, tires. Zero problems otherwise. Runs like a top, drives like a... something that drives well without problems.

Point A: I'm thinking new plugs at least, maybe wires too, haven't worked on my own car in ages so I'm wondering what else I should have checked, outside of saying "hey I need a high mileage check up." The reason I suspect a plug replacement is necessary: when I punch it from a stop or in low gear, sometimes the engine grunts and doesn't "come to life" as instantly as usual. It catches up pretty fast but there's a grunt. Anyone experience that? I guess it maybe could be fuel filter as well, just seems like a tired ignition for whatever reason. No warning lights, keep the air filter clean/replaced regularly.

Point B: Any other things to check that I should have checked a long time ago?
Thanks for any input. I'm sure the shop has their own regular list but any RAV specific stuff would be great.

Also, these seats! Man! 70 miles a day will make you really curse these seats.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm only about half-way to your mileage on my 09 base. Since I maintain it, I love it! Yeah, at 200k miles for yours, change the plugs for sure and see if that makes a difference. Then run some fuel injector cleaner products through it for a couple of tanks? If still no joy, maybe clean the throttle body assembly. Let us know how it goes--I may face this some day!

Check the toyota.com/owners website with your VIN to see what dealer services (in the service history) were done before you bought it. There were a few recalls that are required, all of them preventative and relatively minor. Some folks have chosen to skip the one which involves replacing and glueing the lower suspension arm adjustors, especially since you don't live in the rust belt. Also a coolant change is overdue.

Seat comfort is really body dependent--we find ours super comfy. The only mod we did was add sheepskin seat covers which provides comfort on any seat. We have full covers, but these look to be of high quality and a good look: https://www.amazon.com/Luxury-Australian-sheepskin-custom-cover/dp/B00FT69V8W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 You might also consider some of the after-market cushions, some with lumbar support.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips bro!
I wasn't aware that the fuel cleaner stuff really did anything. I used it in my youth (first car was an '82 Supra) but read since then that it was pointless. Got a recommended brand?

Oil change guy suggested a coolant change and showed me "how dull the coolant is" but it was still bright green so I declined. That's easy/cheap enough though.

Thanks for the seat cover rec, might look into it. I have long legs for a 6' 1" dude so the front edge of the seat puts pressure behind my knees unless I crank the seat up high; thankfully the steering wheel telescopes.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I use Techron, but not in the RAV. I just run Tier 1 fuel and hopefully it keeps it clean. My old truck had some hesitating and stumbling issues and I just took it to a mechanic and he charged me a couple $$ to clean the injectors. It worked (whatever he did) and I run the Techron through it from time to time. Some here on the forum have mentioned cleaning the RAV's throttle body but I've yet to face that. Your first suspicion of the fuel filter might be it, too. Sorry, not too much real help. Definitely start with the spark plugs as I think they are way overdue.

For coolant, I've always stayed with the red Toyota Super Long Life 50-50. I think the spec is to change it every 100k miles, but I started doing a simple drain and refill around 60k, which replaces about a gallon at a time. I do this every couple of years. Since yours is green, definitely not OEM fluid, but there are several brands that might be different color that work. If you're not sure what's in there at 200k miles, I'd do a more thorough flush.

Yeah, body height / length would definitely be a factor on the seats. We got lucky and our body parts fit right in there, lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts