Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
first off, great site, its nice to have a place just for this vehicle. I just got my first vehicle, a 2000 rav4. Its got 45,000 miles and great condition, no rust or anything that i can see.
some pictures:

nothings been done to it and Ive been looking up parts for it...so far ive been looking for an intake:

so far ive found these...

http://www.streetstyler.com/ShortRamIntakes.htm (2nd to last)

http://www.coldairintakeshop.com/vibrant~toyota~rav4~coldair.html

these are cheaper than the ones you pointed out in the other forums, does anybody have these or know if they're good?

and also i've been looking at sway bars and lowering kits. Do you know any sites that sell these for the 2000?

thanks,
Pancake

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
Welcome pancake, I'm Mensajero. I have a 1997 RAV4 4 door, white. :lol:

Just to give us a little insight on your ride. What are your intensions with your RAV4? Racing, Sound, Car Show, Weekend Warrior.

Their are a ton of parts. I'd advice to check the DIY part of this forum. Their are lot of cool people here that can hook you up. This Saturday, I’ll be installing a Header with Performance Cat Converter, Resonator, and Magnaflow muffler. I’ll post pictures on Monday PM.

For suspension, check with dnylrq
, Sig228 or Ryo and Rooster B [Bruce, I call him Batman] among others. For racing, Kidong, me and Andrew [owner of the Baddest RAV4 in the world] Custom installments, Derek [the guru from Hawaii] He has the Green Goblin. Have fun, and keep RAVin.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, im not looking to do anything with it like racing or anything, just driving for fun :)

ive seen your rav4 on other parts of the site and it looks great :)

the only things i want to do at the moment is the intake, then maybe move onto lowering it and/or getting sway bars..
question: does the rav4 have sway bars already?

after that (i have to get a job first lol) i want to move onto new exhaust or something... i dont plan on doing anything major to the car besides these things unless theres something good to do that i haven't read on here...

quesiton about the tri-phase(?) i read about it and it looks cool, how exactly does it give you all that power? (i dont know alot about engines or cars and it looks interesting) im thinking about that too (good idea?)

thanks
Pancake

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
I did. :) For that, check EBay. I got mine shipped for $79.00. Check at a Toyota Dealer for a new one. :roll:
Those little lights are from the RAV4 connection. I got them for the Philippines. Via, Franco, Derek, and some other dude in the Philippines, price, $75.00. When you are going in reverse, they lightup pretty good making it easier to backup in a dark area. Muffler, TRD, Check with Brandsport.com. :wink:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you mensajero...

question about the intakes, the ones i posted, are those ok that you know of? im thinking the OBX one but want to know what you think..

dont know if you saw the question earlier or not but do rav4's come with sway bars, or is that a must for all vehicles..or am i an idiot(?) lol

Pancake

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
mensajero said:
Derek [the guru from Hawaii] He has the Green Goblin. Have fun, and keep RAVin.
The Green Goblin?!?!? :roll: I was thinkin' more like the Incredible Hulk!!!! Mild mannered during daily driving but a beast when provoked! :lol:

As for some of your ???'s pancake, our RAV 4.1s come with a front anti-roll/sway bar but no rear anti-roll bar. Check other posts about this very topic being discussed at this moment.

As for the intakes you mentioned above, both are o.k. and will serve the same purpose. However, the one that is titled "cold air" intake is misleading. Both intakes are short ram intakes in which the exposed air filter pod will be sitting in the engine compartment sucking in the hot ambient air within.

To get a true "cold air" system, you will need to find a way to route cool air from outside of the RAV to your intake (preferrably an enclosed filter pod). Many of us in the forum have such setups installed.

As for ideas for your ride, check out my cardomain.com site below. By the way, that is one clean RAV you got there!
:D p.s. welcome to the forums!!!

·
Registered
10,298 Posts
pancake said:
thank you mensajero...

question about the intakes, the ones i posted, are those ok that you know of? im thinking the OBX one but want to know what you think..

dont know if you saw the question earlier or not but do RAV4's come with sway bars, or is that a must for all vehicles..or am i an idiot(?) lol

Pancake
In this world, no one is an idiot. Breathing is easy, but when you are born, a stranger has to slap you in the rear so you can start breathing. You'll find a lot of strangers here.

Now then, I think their are two types of intake. The straight forward and the "S" shape. The "S" shape is better, because it is pointing AWAY from the heat of the exhaust. The straight forward points or sucks up hot air unless you put a 3" PVC pipe pointing away from the exhaust. Remember to install all the hoses that are needed. If not, I hope you own a gas station. You can find them on EBay.

Sway bar, well we right now are tossing ideas and posting instructions regarding this theme. Is it a MUST? Well, if you do a lot of SOLO1, Rally or any kind of sport that involves speed. It is a very useful item. I recently uninstalled mine. Man, I GOT to get one on their ASAP. No doubt about it. Their are two types of bars. The Addco Rear Bar and the K-MAC [from Australia]. Regarding this theme I'm going to throw a bomb soon. The information I got is base on personal experience, no bull. I'll post it this afternoon.

·
Registered
286 Posts
VW Golf CAI (from AEM):

sound with a lot of power but not to loud.
Cosmo racing short ram intake:

normal sound, but when the A/C is on it do a lot of noise and when you rev your rav.( I believe that because the CAI pipe is 2" 1/2 or 3/4" inches and the short ram is 3")

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you guys :)

so dont go with those intakes? i looked again at the one on rav4oz and it says that if you get the enclosed pod filter and the extension it would be a cold air intake, but i have another questno about that (sorry for all the questions)
im guessing that black part on the intake picture bends, if it does would it be possible to kind of "aim" the filter at the grille so the extension wouldn't be necessary, or do you have to put the filter near the ground (like i read on other parts of this forum)??

the sway bar is not a without-i'll-die thing, but thought it would be nice to have

i also found some lowering springs which would probably come later:
http://www.overboost.com/obs/hin/product.asp?pid=38813
or
http://www.drivewire.com/performanceparts/intrax/toyotarav4loweringsprings.html

does anybody have these or know if their good?

thanks so much guys :)
Pancake

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Pancake, pointing the pod filter towards the front of the grill may not make that much of a difference. If you take a look at that area of the engine compartment, it is blocked off by the radiator, coolant overflow bottle, etc.. That is why almost all of us have found cooler air from below the bumper or under the driver's side headlight.

The air filter will still work if no cool air is ducted to it, just not as efficiently. :? Checho's VW Golf intake is somewhat similar to my setup, but just needs a few modifications to it. The one also being sold on RAV4OZ will work, as Mohit has it and it works great.

As for the lowering springs, H&R is good. TRD also sells a set which is made by Eibach; also a good company to go with. The Intrax lowering springs appear to be only able to fit a 4.2 RAV, although I could be mistaken on this. If lowering your RAV, make sure you go with shock absorbers that can handle the lowering. :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i didn't notice the intrax springs were for only the newer rav's, and it was only for 4wd...for the H&R's, the stock shock absorbers wont work?

im still a little confused with the intake, i think im going to buy the one on rav4oz, but do i HAVE to buy that blue tube also? and if you could answer another question ( :oops: sorry) what does the pod filter do differently?

and....will the k-mac rear anti sway bar work with the mine (2000)??

thanks again guys :)
Pancake

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks mohit, thats what im going to get when i can get my parents to let me, im getting my first job soon so ill have extra money :)

thanks a lot guys, i'll probably have more questions later..

the only one right now is about the kmac sway bar, i feel dumb for asking because it says for 4.1, but on the other forums you keep saying they're for this year and 2dr. or 4dr and stuff so i dont know :(

-Pancake

·
Registered
682 Posts
4.1 = 1994 - 2000 (generation 1 rav)
4.2 = 2001 - 2005 (generation 2 rav)

2dr/3dr = short wheel base rav
4dr/5dr = long wheel base rav

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i know that, im saying that in the other forums i've read where people say that a certain bar only works with a certain year or a certain amount of doors and i was wondering if anybody knew if the kmac bar sold on rav4oz would work with my 2000 5 dr.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks mohit i didn't see your message until today (stupid me)

my mom told me to ask my uncle about the intake, he knows alot about engines, i dont know why my mom wanted to ask him about it, its made for the rav4 specifically...

anyways

thanks
Pancake

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey guys i got a hard cover for my rav...i got it off ebay for $21.51...it was brand new never taken out of the box from sparetirecovers.com (where its priced at $80) so i think i got a pretty good deal there :D and im not sure if i want to get it painted or not, its black right now and my parents think it will be a lot to get it painted but idk...

im also going to look about some other things, i think im going to get the tri-phase first and then work on the rest after i get my job (i start next week)

-Pancake

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got my spare tire cover and it looks good...i went and got a estimate for a exhaust and im looking at a similar set up as mensajeros...go through the middle and come out with a double tip muffler (i think its the same one as he got) and the guy said about $250 for the whole thing including labor and everything, which sounded good..(right?)...

and my birthdays coming up soon so i get money from my relatives so im hoping to get an intake next and running the tube from the filter to the lower grille thing (is that a good idea?)

and i got a job so more moneys going to be coming in :D...

do these sound like good ideas?...

thanks,
-Pancake

1 - 20 of 28 Posts