Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am downsizing from a Tacoma. The wonder, 1st Gen Rav4 or 1st Gen v6 Highlander. I could use some help. Thanks

In building a '98 Rav for my Daughter, I realized a Rav might work for me as well. I am in Orange County,Ca.
So a smaller truck than the Tacoma appeals.But the idea of a slightly larger vehicle, Highlander also might work.
Gen 1 for the Rav, like the engine. 2007 for the Highlander,again the power train. I am finding similar miles on each vehicle, so calendar age is not the issue.
I am writing this Group because I have found so much wisdom and information in Shopping and now building my Daughters truck.
Thanks to all,

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
It would be simple for me.....would I buy a 16 year old car? No.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hi there A.Smith
The answer to your question is obvious, giving us very limited understanding of your wants & needs.
- newer and v6 power / hard to ignore

My wife has a Gen3-v6 RAV4 and its perfect for family needs and her work commute.
I have a Gen3-v6 4Runner SR5 and it is perfect for my daily driver / having previously driven a older Silverado 4x4 pickup.
- my 2000 T4R is just as clean as wife's 2008 Limited / both similar miles, on drive train
- so several years older / not always a deal breaker

PS - I have recently decided to get a Toyota used truck / please sent me some info. on your Tacoma & location (if 4x4).
Cheers, Larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic ! There are many reasons I love Toyota, just one are forum groups like this one. Thanks All.

I am in downsize transition, so a smaller truck fits So Cal life style. A Rav 1st Gen or a Highlander 1st Gen seem good possibles. Can carry more than me, Kayaks, and general adventure stuff.
I just need to think the Cons as well as the Pros. Miles are not thye main concern, we are talking a couple of the best power trains built. There just maybe a lot more I am not aware.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
With the 2.0l 127 HP four cylinder RAV you might find the power a bit anemic. The V-6 available in the Highlander was no powerhouse but certainly 215 HP from the 3.3l would be more than adequate.

Consider those numbers when you load both down, need to tow something, or drive in mountainous terrain.

·
Registered
160 Posts
While a 2000 RAV4 is a fun little SUV you may want to check out the RAV4 4.2. More HP and after Sept 2003 updated with all the modern stuff a twuck would need and better fuel economy than the earlier versions or the later models as well. Also no timing belt on the 4.2's. My 1997 had a timing belt snap once, but no damage to the engine as it was a non-interferance one. whew..

If you do go for a 4.2 I would avoid the auto boxes (2000-2003) as there was some software issue that caused them to screw up pretty bad. Either way insure to check the maintance records as well as the undercarrage to insure there was no off road damage, or rust. Either way..good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts