Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've just noticed recently that my auto transmission will give out a noticeable rattling sound when it's just about to go from 1st to 2nd AND 2nd to 3rd, but is worse on the 1st to 2nd transition.

Has anyone had this before? What do you think this might be?

My 45000 mile service interval is coming up this month and I'm gonna list down as many things that I want them to look at.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Are you sure it's the tranny? My heat shield under the shifter on the exhaust had a clamp that rusted out and rattled at certain RPM. Mostly at idle with my foot on the brake but it used to rattle as I drove up through the gears. Mines Auto Too. Check it out. I just yanked the rusted clamp off and pushed the heat shield up a bit so it wouldn't rattle anymore. When the other clamp starts to go I'll pull the rest of it off and throw it in the garbage.

Good luck tracking down the rattle. M.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, interesting.

Just making it clear: the section of the exhaust pipe directly underneath the shifter has a heat shield held by clamps?

I'll definitely check it out.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its a small heat shield with two hose type clamps, one on each end. With all my cars in the past I've just ripped them off and threw them away when they start to rattle due to rusting away. Let me know how it goes. M.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIXED

I had the Rav4 in for its 45000 mile service, and I indicated the strange sound, and they fixed it for no additional charge.

They said it was the shielding around one corner of the fuel tank, and they just bent it so that it doesn't rattle anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts