Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, anyone have any tips for replacing the cabin air filter behind the glove box? rather than paying $30 for one replacement filter, i was thinking of buying a thin, easy flow through household furnace filter (approx 28in X 24in and 3 filters for $5.00) and cuting one into about 8 rav4 filters and sliding one into the plastic holder. should be enough filters to last several years. any thoughts or other mods out there?

·
Registered
471 Posts
thats a rly kool idea bro. i never though about replacing air filter with something else. let us know how it works out for u in couple years =P

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I have been planning on building one too, not because of the cost but rather for the filtration.

I am in the process of modifying my home air with filters, IQ system, intakes and adding plants in order to make the air cleaner.

As for the RAV’s filter I planned on making one with a homes 3M Filtrete filter

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/filtrete/ ,

To do it you would first take have to see the best way to disassemble the filter.
Then you take a thin sheet of paper art board, cutting it & folding it to the right shape so the filter fits inside and the edges slip under the plastic mounts.
Then apply glue to the inside of the box and attach the Filter.

As for the OEM filter, I have air blown that 2X's and wash it ounce a year.

Cheers, Walt
:D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Just wash mine out. No real need to replace. I guess for all you guys/gals out there with allergies you could get fancy with it and make a better filter.

Go with the furnace filter idea. I have friends that do this and it works great. I just want to catch the bugs and dirt coming in. No allergies here so its not a huge thing with me.

Need to check them guys/gals if you haven't. They get bad....fast! wash the crud out of there at least twice a year.

Later. M.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've made my own cabin air filter replacements since the first time I needed to replace the original air filter. I'd post a photo, but my digital camera just died last weekend.

Look for a great sale on a pleated, flat (non cylindrical) HEPA-type filter (like 3M Filtrete), and buy the one with the biggest length x width dimensions you can get for the money--but make sure it's not more than about 1/2" thick.

Remove your existing OEM cabin air filter and clean it off a bit by vacuuming, washing, etc. Use it as a pattern to cut the new, large filter into the correct size to fit into the plastic cabin filter tray. You'll need sturdy scissors and other cutting implements to get the new filter cut to size. Tin snips can be helpful for the metal backing screen, though you can use a pair of old junky scissors that you don't mind nicking with the metal.

You can get many (at least 8, probably more) replacement filters out of the one large furnace filter. Store the extras in a bag to keep them clean. install one in the plastic holder and then into the car. Put your glove compartment back in place, and you're ready to go!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds like what I was thinking of doing. I'll look for the thinest filter available, to keep the airflow at max. That should bring the filter cost down from $30 to about $3.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Liz, do you get those filters like in a homedepot or something? I don't think i have ever changed mine, meaning that i'm not sure if the dealership changed it for the 30K maintenance thing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
G-girl you may want to check that soon. You may find some scary things in there that you may not want you air passing through before you breath it in.

Take the stuff out of your glove box and press the sides in toward the back and pull forward and you will see the filter inside. Sometimes pushing one side at a time works as well and you can just pop out one side of the glove box at a time.

The filter tray just slides out and you can shake it out or wash it or whatever suits you best.

Check it! You'll be glad you did and we will all breath a little easier.

Later. M.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, all done. Picked up a 3-pak of easy flow thru household filters (20in X 26in X 1in) for $2.69. I used the original toyota filter as a template and cut out 18 smaller filters and taped the edges of each one with green painters tape. They fit and installed perfectly and brings the cost of each filter to .15 cents.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi, Miriam.

You can get the filters at Home Depot or at places like Target, OSH, chain hardware stores, K-Mart, or Loew's. I recommend getting a HEPA-like filter rather than the easy-flow filters twister got because the HEPA-type filters screen out more and smaller particles. Here's what I used, a 3M Filtrete Ultra Allergen filter:

You won't end up with 15-cent filters, but they'll still be just a couple dollars apiece and typically a better filter quality than the OEM filter. :)

Follow Marcutio's instructions to take out the Toyota filter. If you find it helpful, take the used filter into the store to compare filter thicknesses and materials.

I like ebalita's idea about using carbon filters. That should trap gas exhaust fumes. Ebalita, what kind of carbon filter did you use? What dimensions? Was the carbon contained so you don't have to handle it?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Liz, I was also thinking of using a Carbon filter, but it should be put before the HEPA filter. There's really is no room in the plastic tray for that. :(
For people who spend alot of time in traffic everyday, Carbon/HEPA is the way to go.
As for the Filtret filter, it is far superior than the OEM one. Providing it is installed correctly.

Cheers, Walt

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep in mind that the car blower motor is much less powerful than a household furnace motor. A filter that is too thick or too dense could overtax the smaller car blower motor causing poor airflow or in a worse case senario, even a fuse or motor burn out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts