Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2001 RAV4 has 56,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been on for a few days. The diagnostic code comes back as 0402 and 0430 "catalyst system below threshold". The vehicle is well-maintained and has given us few problems. This one is a shocker and looks like an expensive fix.

This seems to be a common problem. Is it covered by warranty? What have your experiences been like with the stealerships?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The ECU needs to be recalibrated to produce the proper air/fuel ratios. In some cases the catalyic converter needs to be replaced.

It's covered by the 80K mile emissions warranty.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Disconnect your battery, wait just a minute, and reconnect, this will reset the ECU and if the light comes back on again then bring it to get fixed.

Mine came on after I changed the size of the intake opening and I reset the ECU by this process and its been fine since.

Later. M.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It goes into the stealership on Monday. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Bucks Deluxe my friend. You are correct in saying "Stealership". This is pretty much my feelings toward dealers as well. Yeah they are supposed to be "Toyota Trained Technicians" but it takes a while to have everyone trained and my luck has always been to get the "new guy" working on whatever car I've brought in for service.

ASME Certified technicians are in other shops too and as long as you have a reputable tech do work on your car, and they stand behind their work, you should be OK.

Good luck, let me know what was wrong and what the fix is going to be.

Later. M. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trip to the dealer resulted in . . . nothing. They did all of the diagnostic work, and the repairs that we knew they had to do for nothing under warranty. I did have her pay for a new battery as it was the original.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey dogpersonspadre!

My '01 RAVie had the 0420/0430 problem twice. The first time around 40-45K they reset the ECU and set me on my way. Maybe 1-2K later, it came back, and it turns out they had to change the catalytic converter. All done under warranty. I coincidentally had a print out of the TSB I left on the car seat when I took it to the dealer, but mine ended up being a legitimate hardware problem.

I also keep my RAVie well maintained, but this ended up being a bad catalytic converter that I think others have also had. Hope that helps, and don't be surprised if the light comes on again in the next few weeks. Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim

dogboysdad said:
My wife's 2001 RAV4 has 56,000 miles on it. The check engine light has been on for a few days. The diagnostic code comes back as 0402 and 0430 "catalyst system below threshold". The vehicle is well-maintained and has given us few problems. This one is a shocker and looks like an expensive fix.

This seems to be a common problem. Is it covered by warranty? What have your experiences been like with the stealerships?

Thanks in advance.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a 2002 with 66K miles on it. We also had this problem and took it to the dealer. They recalibrated the ECM and they also changed out the catalytic converter, all under warranty.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gdoug said:
We have a 2002 with 66K miles on it. We also had this problem and took it to the dealer. They recalibrated the ECM and they also changed out the catalytic converter, all under warranty.
That is exactly what they did for us. No hassels or anything.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just had my cat changed out for the same two codes. I already had the ECU reprogrammed 25,000 miles ago, then the cat went bad. I'm at 62,000 miles with an '01 RAV, and the dealer didn't charge me a cent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts