Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here i am, starting my search for a new car and narrowing it down to the RAV. Now: for a price reason mostly, im looking for the 2001 model 4d, manual ( :D cant wait :D ); is there something particular i should look out for when i check them? I have been told to avoid the 2001 because they are known to have the infamous engine light going off all the time, is that true, and if it is, its because of a series of major problems?
In the few ones i checked i found the cargo door click-clack..ing a lot while opening, and since in pratically all of them, the rest were the old RAV models and didnt make that noise, suffered from accidents (confirmed only from ONE dealer where the car was actually repaired very well, while other dealers denied even in front of obvious dents :shock: ) i was wondering if its something that comes out with the age or i can count it as a sign of a sure hit of the rear.
Any suggestion is welcome, thanks

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have a 2001 and the rear door makes the same noise, I believe it is just the design of the hinges and retainer.

The only real issue with the 2001 Ravs is the engine light problem that you mentioned, which I have dealt with, but that's about it, aside from minor squeaks and rattles that are really not that bad at all. I think there's a 50/50 chance that you might have that emission/engine light issue, because even though there are a few of us that have the problem, there are many others that do not.

How many miles do the Ravs have on them?

What about maintenance and documentation?

Any type of warranties?

2WD/4WD?

Prices?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4WD for some reasons i dont really see the point of buying something like that 2WD, so i forgot to write it.
The kms like the prices vary a lot, what i have seen goes from about 60000km to more than double that, and prices are from CAN$ 15000 up to 20000 plus taxes, and at that point i could even buy new, there isnt really a difference in between the prices of automatic and manual even if every dealer admitted that manuals are hard to sell (i figure it could work well for me when it comes to bargain the final price, i dont even like the automatic in first place).
As for warranties i could get something only from Toyota dealers, the others dont offer anything beside the certification that is worth what its worth.
The documents arent a lot, the dealers usually told me that the car was coming from other dealers, traded in i guess, and that they couldnt say for sure how many owners it had before, go figure giving proof of regular maintenance. Coming from Italy it sorts of bugs me since there the owners are listed on the car's title certificate and that leaves a ready paper track to see, here i can only carfax them.
Im taking my sweet time for the search, i wont need the car before summer for sure, so i have no problems waiting for the bargain and dropping anything i have even a little doubt on.
So the light you just turn it off resetting it in some way or you have to check everytime?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HEY well RAV4 starting off are a very dependable car..
I Have a 2002 RAV4 2wd. with 60,000 miles.

Engine light has been on and off, due to 1 reason. EMISSION CONTROL, TOYOTA Replaced my CAT CONVERTOR, 4 Oxygen Sensors, and it has never been on ever again. WArrenty..gotta love it.

It saves gas i get about 21 City, 31 (MAX) highway

Not like Bimmer transmission failer, this and that failer and problem

ITS WORTH IT !!! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts