Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Rav4 Air Fuel Sensors Stuck

Hi there, I currently have a 2001 Rav4 and am currently having some problems replacing the air fuel sensors and hoping anyone may have had the same problem and a solution :)

My vehicle is currently showing fault codes P1135 Bank 1 Sensor 1) and P1155 (Bank 2 Sensor 1). I've purchased the OEM parts online along with an oxygen sensor socket and am trying to replace them but it appears they are stuck in the exhaust manifold.

I've tried many different kinds of lubricants to help free this such as PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, even 50/50 Acetone ATF. I also tried using a box end wrench and a breaker bar and this thing still is not coming free. Is there any hope?? :(

I've read about using MAAP gas to heat it up but my worry is that this may also damage the threads inside or are those already bad? If this is the case it may be a much larger issue than I expected if I need to replace the entire exhaust manifold.

Has anyone else had any issues with removing the O2 or Air/Fuel sensors that can offer any help with getting these things out?

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had issues with my Air/Fuel sensors and O2 sensors on my 2002. Basically, after a code popped up for one of the A/F sensors, I replaced it. Then the other A/F sensor code popped, so I replaced it. Then the O2 sensors... I had to replace all 4 sensors with new ones. Check engine light went off for a month. Then the other day, PO1135 (bank 1 sensor 1 (A/F sensor)). First off, what are the odds that all 4 went at the same time? And now, what are the odds that a brand new A/F sensor from Denso also failed? Probably 0 percent chance of that happening. The only other thing I have read is that it is the ECU (engine control module) for this particular engine series. I am done spending money on those sensors, as I am sure you are of too.
As for getting your old sensors out, penetrating oil and time and patience are all that you can do. Short of removing the manifolds and taking them into a machine shop to drill the old sensors out etc, you will just have to be patient and tough, they will come out eventually. Beware however is all your sensors start to fail all around the same time. Its a symptom of the ECU I believe.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts