Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello RAV4 fans, my old boy (2001 Rav4 with 370,000 km) is showing again P0440 fault code (Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) System?). Basically, this code suggests that something in the EVAP system is not functioning right.
About 3 years ago I replaced the canister, vac lines and valves at the EVAP system and spent more than $1000.
Today I would not do that anymore. Anyone knows a cheap trick to clean/defoul the EVAP system so I can go pass my inspection? This car is like a family member we can not sell it.
I would spend a little to clean things up but not replace all the pieces there.
Flo

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Moved to correct area.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Unless the system or its plumbing got damaged somehow I'd probably just replace the gas cap and reset the code(s), wait for the monitors to complete if they will and then take it in for inspection before the code reappears. And as others have suggested many times get the OEM cap from Toyota.
Also note that the EVAP monitor is often the last monitor to finish and may take several days to complete.

That's actually where I'm at with my Accord. It broke it's timing belt due to a 10mm nut coming loose for unknown reasons causing the belt to rip resulting in seven belt valves. After many many hours and $500 of parts it's finally back together but I forgot to fully seat one of the coil connectors causing a misfire code and the need to reset the codes. Been waiting two days so far for the EVAP monitor to complete. As an aside I bought all but the dealer-only parts from Rockauto.com. The exact same parts such as the Fel-Pro gasket set were more on Summit, Amazon and eBay.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
That's actually where I'm at with my Accord. It broke it's timing belt due to a 10mm nut coming loose for unknown reasons causing the belt to rip resulting in seven belt valves.
OUCH! Sorry to hear about that.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
OUCH! Sorry to hear about that.
Yeah, not much fun but at least I had plenty of experience doing valve jobs on broken-belt Fiat 128s back in the 80-90s. Just that the Accord has 24 valves instead of 8 and a little more complexity so it was like doing 3-4 Fiats. Fortunately I retained the tools & knowledge and have developed more patience over the years. Saving about $3K was motivation enough.

·
Super Moderator
11,113 Posts
Good for you, I'd be screwed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts