Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster, posting due to a small emergency:

My gf recently was in an accident that totalled her car (other guys fault - he ran a red light). She's fine, but the car was a total loss. Until we can get a replacement car, my aunt has lent my girlfriend her 2001 toyota RAV4 that she no longer uses. Today while my gf was out driving it the remote key fob died, and as we have noticed prior to this you need the remote fob to start the car engine. If you turn the key without the fob the dash lights just flicker and the engine does not turn over. We know the fob is dead because the lock/unlock buttons are not doing anything when pressed. My aunt has the other fob, but she is in NYC and we are in DC, so we won't receive the fob until Tuesday morning via overnight shipping.

My question is this: Is there a master switch or some other function within the car that will get the engine to start without the remote fob? Any way at all to bypass the fob requirement?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
35 Posts
If it is similar to the Prius v, you can place the remote against the power button and push the power button and it will start. At least that is what the Prius v manual says, I have never personally tried it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flyman,

Thanks for your answer. That wasn't quite it, but we resolved the issue:

Serendipitously, the AAA guy who arrived in the tow truck used to program these remotes and he knew how to unlock the starter. Evidently, you put the key in the ignition, then you try pressing 'unlock', and then turn the key. If it doesn't start then, you keep the key in the ignition and press 'option', 'unlock' and try turning it again. That worked for her, and the engine started up. The fob is still busted, and will need to be replaced - it still doesn't lock or unlock the car, and we have to use that button sequence every time we start it until we can get it to the Toyota dealer to get fixed. I guess the transponder in the fob still works on some backup system, but even though the fob itself is technically "dead". Who knows. I wasn't with her when this happened, but she's on her way home now. I actually don't remember an 'option' button on the fob so I have to take a look at it when she gets home to fully understand.

I thought I'd share the resolution with all of you in the hopes that it saves someone else the inconvenience and stress. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Flyman, what country are you in?

The 2001 RAV4 did not have an immobilizer in North America. When the RAV's were eventually equipped with an immobilizer (and required a key to start) the engine would still crank normally if the RFID chip was damaged or missing. It did not require a battery in the FOB at all.

Do you think replacing the battery in your FOB will solve the problem with the locks, or is the FOB physically damaged.

Edit: I now see that you are in DC. So I will change my question to "what country was your RAV4 originally purchased?". Is the FOB you speak of a genuine Toyota FOB or is it part of an aftermarket alarm system.?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts