Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RAv4 with 320,000 miles. She has been quite a champion over the years and never seems to let me down. Recently in April of this year it had a very rough idle along with random misfiring. I bought a new aftermarket coil pack in April of this year and it ran phenomenal for 3 months. Then slowly one, by one coils started failing again. Initially I assumed it was because the coils were made in China and I made the mistake of thinking 55 dollars total for all 4 new coils was a deal too good to be true... So I removed the Chinese coils thinking they were absolute crap and replaced them with more expensive coils from Taiwan that I ordered and verified were good quality when I called JCWhitney.com.

Well the 2nd coil pack lasted for about 2 weeks and every coil is cutting out voltage when I test them with a coil tester. Is it an aftermarket problem these off brand coils or is the ECM sending the incorrect voltage to the coils at the incorrect times??? As far as I know... the ECM is original... I have been hesitant to replace it or have it repaired in the past because my vehicle never once experienced the transmission issues so many other rav vehicles experienced from a faulty ECM. The last thing I want is a junkyard computer that has transmission problems but at the same time I'm not going to spend 3,000 dollars for a new ECM on a 320K mile car.

The Oxygen sensors are also giving out a LEAN condition but I have not found air leaks in the system, the MAP sensor seems to be ok, the o2 sensors on the bottom are fairly new and there is no indication that the air ratio sensors are providing incorrect fuel ratios. Only other codes given out are misfires on cylinders 1,2,3 which would correspond to the faulty coils which I have now replaced twice.

Any ideas guys?? I love this car and am determined to drive her until she reaches 400K. She has been taken care of extremely well of the years and there is no indication of engine or transmission issues other than problems with my coils. She must live to see another day considering her high miles and still perfect transmission!

·
Registered
3 Posts
don't know the answer but I am experiencing the same on a 2001 RAV4 with 106K. Seems we started going through coils maybe 15 to 20K ago and I think we've replaced 5 or 6. I was researching and one thread response thought it might be ECM or bad ground for the coil pack so don't know.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,971 Posts
Stay away from cheap Chinese coils like they sell on Ebay. The OEM coils are more expensive, but well worth it. Often you can score them cheap from a pick & pull junkyard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
don't know the answer but I am experiencing the same on a 2001 RAV4 with 106K. Seems we started going through coils maybe 15 to 20K ago and I think we've replaced 5 or 6. I was researching and one thread response thought it might be ECM or bad ground for the coil pack so don't know.
I replaced my coils with new Denso coils and the problem still remains. I'm not sure it is ECM related to be honest. It could be an injector problem as my system is either too lean on fuel or too lean on air. I'm still at an impasse trying to figure this out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts