Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
I don't know about the 2001 models, but some RAV's and other Toyota models, 4 Runner, etc. in 2003 and 2004 had problems with the exhaust smelling like rotten eggs. My 2004 RAV was one of them and Toyota replaced the cat when there was only 2300 miles on it. Whatever they did to the replacement fixed the problem. Maybe some of the 2001 RAV's had that problem.

P

·
0 Posts
2001 Exhaust

I have a 2001 and I am the original owner. I have never had a problem with the exhaust system. I have never had any problem with my RAV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check engine light when fuel cap is not closed

I had a Check Engine light come on once. Dealer said that it sometimes happens when the fuel cap is not completely closed. I think they did replace the cat after that too.

L

·
0 Posts
My check engine light came on and basically resulted in a reprogramming of the emissions system as it was originally programmed to run too lean, which had the potential to cause damage to the emissions systems (O2 sensors and the like). I have an 01.. could that be it?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What ever it is. It come down to one specific area on the work line. Quality control. This is where the most experienced and most years with the company personnel go. Looks like, like in the USA. The japanese people, despite their culture and philosophy towards life. Well, Saki :cheers: works the mine also on a Monday morning hag over. :lol: Or maybe who ever is pushing the buttons on the computer just didn't have it that morning. Oh well, we are humans.

G

·
0 Posts
I've got an '01 with about 73k on it. We had it in back in January-ish because the check engine light came on. A quick check of the ODBC codes (free @ Autozone) indicated an issue. Toyota replaced the catalytic converter under warranty (I believe that warranty is until 80k?).

Otherwise, I've had no issues with mine.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
When the Catalytic convertor dies - you get the rotten egg smell.....

Had this happen a couple of times on various cars ive had in the past..... The O2 sensor will probably pick up on this before the CAT dies.....

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think this happen because of faulty material used to make these Catalytic Converter. I've never had a problem of this sort. I guess it collapse inside and cloges the exhaust, that is where the smell of rotton eggs came from. Bad storage on behave of Toyota of these parts might have damaged them internally and the problem wasn't detected after the vehicles went out the door. The sensors detected it and it was just replaced. It's like one of those indirect recalls. One interesting peive of information. In what year was the earthquake in Japan? 1995, in Kobi:!:

Oh well, these are the plants located in Japan

Automobile assembly: Honsha, Motomachi*, Takaoka, Tsutsumi, and Tahara plants

Engine and engine related assembly: Kamigo and Shimoyama plants

Casting drive trains, engines etc: Miyoshi, Myochi, Kinu-ura and Teiho plants

Electronics: the Hirose plant

*Here is where they assemble RAV4s. http://www.autointell.com/asian_companies/toyota_motor/toyota-mfg/japanese-plants/motomach.htm

·
Registered
344 Posts
I've experienced a variety of emissions-related check engine light items, including the ECU reprogramming and decline and replacement of the catalytic converter and all 4 attached sensors. Those count as emissions/exhaust problems, but they were covered under warranty.

Since then, everything has been great, though the mpg has been a little lower ever since.

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the best part of buying a Toyota. They will honor you warranty, no questions asked. Even without the owner knowing about what was going wrong. I've heard of clients in PR that when picking up their Toyota vehicle for just a routine maintenance. They have found parts reinstalled .

It guess these are quality controlled item they were overlooked in Japan and corrected. That is why Toyota is one, if not thee, leader in customer service satisfaction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts