Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Theft Deterrent System" ("TDS") alarm on my 2001 rav4 will go off for no reason.. And it's usually about 5 AM. It went off 3 mornings in a row. I'm sure no one is setting it off because one of those mornings I was at a relatives house and it alarmed there too. My neighbors are starting to get pissed. Is it something I can fix? Does it need to be replaced? If so, what is the best option of replacement and what will the costs be?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Kelly, that is an interesting TSB. Does sensitivity adjusting apply to later years like my '05 with TDS? Where is the GBS unit located?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would the sensetivity change on it's own? It has worked fine for the last 5 years. Now all of the sudden, it goes off when it decides... Which unfortuantly, has been around 5 AM. Could it be that some sort of sensor has gone bad? Im's totally in the dark on this one.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My alarm does not go off at all, unless i open the door while the alarm is on :?. I even once hit the glass and it did not make a noise :?. Where is the GBS ECU's (whatever ECU means :p)?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a similar experience on an old Corolla GTI I owned a few years ago. It ended up being a split rubber on one the electrical connections to the drivers door. As soon as the moisture built up, whoa whoa whoa, angry neighbours and an early start for me! I guess around that time of the morning the condensation was just enough to short-out one of the alarmed circuits. After I resealed my plug all was OK again. Could be worth a check all the connector around the doors.

Good luck anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts