Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there from New Zealand

Just bought me a 2001 Rav4 that is in pretty Mint condition but requires a few things tidied up.
She's a 2 Litre 2 Door AWD 5 Speed Manual.
The one priority job I have to do is replace the Clutch as it is just starting to slip, plus a few other minor things like intermintant Speedo.

I have searched the forum and see at once stage there was a digital copy of the workshop manual for the 2001 - 2005 Rav available - but is no longer.
Would anyone have a copy available that I could possibly obtain.

Im hoping to be able to drop the Box out with motor in Situ.

Any Advice would be great.

Cheers

Ren

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi 2003Rav4Lover.

The Rav4 I picked up had ust over 190,000Km on the Clock and the Clutch was pretty Stuffed - Right down to the Rivets infact.
Im not sure how the last owner drove it so cant really comment on weather the clutch was Thrashed or treated well..

Cheers

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi 2003Rav4Lover.

The Rav4 I picked up had ust over 190,000Km on the Clock and the Clutch was pretty Stuffed - Right down to the Rivets infact.
Im not sure how the last owner drove it so cant really comment on weather the clutch was Thrashed or treated well..

Cheers
I changed mine at 187,000 miles when my head gasket decided to castrophically fail for no apparent reason. Even at 187,000 miles, I still had some meat left on her.

What brand clutch kit did you decide to go with? I went Asin.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there,

I installed an ACS kit from Australia.
Part Number - SXA10
I see they are available online almost everywhere. I picked mine up for $401 NZD.

Cheers:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi there,

I installed an ACS kit from Australia.
Part Number - SXA10
I see they are available online almost everywhere. I picked mine up for $401 NZD.

Cheers:
Do you have a pic of your girl? Here's mine..had her loaded down to take the fam on vacation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My head gasket also let loose at 180 thou. While I had mine out I replaced clutch even though original wasn't bad, was easier to replace given it was already out and accessible. The clearance to remove motor or tranny and separate them without all of it dropping out from bottom is minimal, unsure if it is possible to do otherwise. I have done this twice, first to rebuild motor, second to replace transfer case that failed due to bad bearing. Tried to remove separate. Found it impossible and ended up costing more time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My head gasket also let loose at 180 thou. While I had mine out I replaced clutch even though original wasn't bad, was easier to replace given it was already out and accessible. The clearance to remove motor or tranny and separate them without all of it dropping out from bottom is minimal, unsure if it is possible to do otherwise. I have done this twice, first to rebuild motor, second to replace transfer case that failed due to bad bearing. Tried to remove separate. Found it impossible and ended up costing more time.
Ever find out why your head gasket failed? Mine failed for no apparent reason. Car was never overheated and changed the coolant every 50k as the red Toyota coolant calls for. One day the heat stopped working and all the coolant pushed backwards out the overflow. Upon removing the radiator cap and sniffing inside I smelled exhaust and knew she was done. I ended up putting in a used motor with 100k miles on her. Been happy ever since. Rest of the car has 216k miles and all is solid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ever find out why your head gasket failed? Mine failed for no apparent reason. Car was never overheated and changed the coolant every 50k as the red Toyota coolant calls for. One day the heat stopped working and all the coolant pushed backwards out the overflow. Upon removing the radiator cap and sniffing inside I smelled exhaust and knew she was done. I ended up putting in a used motor with 100k miles on her. Been happy ever since. Rest of the car has 216k miles and all is solid.

Mine was from the head bolts tearing out the aluminum threads on the head. Luckily no warpage just a sudden loss of compression and all coolant leaving by the gap it created. I was contemplating a swap with a 2.4 but gave the 2.0 a chance, rebuilt using the time-sert inserts for the block to prevent the head bolt issue ever again. It may not be common in the 2.0, but I would say that any aluminum block with long hardened headbolts would be susceptible to this kind of failure. I had changed fluids regularly, but it was second hand so I don't know what the schedule was like beforehand. Still, with the few problems, I love my 4.2 and wouldn't trade it for the world.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine was from the head bolts tearing out the aluminum threads on the head. Luckily no warpage just a sudden loss of compression and all coolant leaving by the gap it created. I was contemplating a swap with a 2.4 but gave the 2.0 a chance, rebuilt using the time-sert inserts for the block to prevent the head bolt issue ever again. It may not be common in the 2.0, but I would say that any aluminum block with long hardened headbolts would be susceptible to this kind of failure. I had changed fluids regularly, but it was second hand so I don't know what the schedule was like beforehand. Still, with the few problems, I love my 4.2 and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Very true. Mine was second hand as well. So may have been mistreated before me. And I do love my 2.0 ravioli as well!

·
Registered
13 Posts
184000 Kms, so I would hope many years to enjoy her left. It was kept in parkade for most of its life. I bought it at around 160000 kms and it has been occupying garage for two years while I found time to rebuild it. There is no rust and the interior is immaculate, a rebuild was a no brainer as most of this little SUV has barely shows its age. I think it was a chilli edition, but am not sure, has the chilli edition mats and the features match with what they came with. Glad it's a manual, the LUK clutch kit wasn't expensive and was easy to install...(seeing as I had motor out anyway). I also had head milled, block pressure tested and honed, the head port and polished, and I spent countless hours lapping valves, and ensuring clearances on spacer caps was perfect. Runs like a dream now,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts