Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a 2002 RAV4 for sale at a local dealer, and am a little bit leery of making an offer on it due to the accessories on it.

It's advertised as a 2002 L edition. I've seen it, and the door sticker says made in 8/2001, so it isn't a 2003 Sport model.

However it has at least two things, a hood scoop and the upgraded sports cloth seats, that weren't supposed to be available on a 2002. I know the sports package was first advertised for model year 2003, but that included a bright finish tubular roof rack, and this has the normal black roof rack.

Does anyone have any recommendations on determining if the hood (or maybe just the scoop?) and the seats were added later, part of a special order, or what's going on with this?

Thanks for any help.

Bill
SailRI

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Should I buy a 2002 L w/hood scoop & Sport Cloth sea

SailRI said:
I recently found a 2002 RAV4 for sale at a local dealer, and am a little bit leery of making an offer on it due to the accessories on it.
Bill
SailRI
Hi Bill,

There's nothing wrong with the dates on the door, heck, Toyota is billing the 4.3 as a 2007 model if I'm not mistaken.

If it's a Toyota dealer, they should be able to pull the build sheet on it, but honestly I get the impression that it's either 1) a totalled rebuild 2) a custom order or 3) they're custom parts put on by the former owner.

Strictly going by what you're saying, I have the sneaking suspicion that it's #1 or #3 though, because I don't think the parts physically existed in 2001 when the car was built. You'd have to speak to the former owner, or review the title very closely. Also -- though it's hardly canonical -- get a Carfax report on it.

Wayne

{edit: Keep in mind that I'm no expert and don't know when exactly the hood scoop and seats came to be}

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2002 RAV4 L/Sport???

Here's the site where the 2002 w/scoop is listed:

http://championms.com/showroom.php?single=1&id=65

It's definitely a hood w/the scoop built in.

My worry in buying this would be that a 2002 made in late 2001 shouldn't have had this from the factory, I can't see someone ordering one later on, unless they'd had an accident requiring the hood to be replaced.

Carfax came back clean though.

Would anyone NOT buy this because it looks like it didn't come like this from the factory?

Bill

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just from looking at the pictures, I would say that it may have been added aftermarket. The 2" rear receiver was most likely aftermarket, the step that was installed on the receiver hitch. The side bars and the push bar with some nice lights. Someone wanted this to look a bit more like a rally sport type car.

Heck, I have thought about doing some of those things to my standard 01 Rav. I think it looks cool and I do actually hit the dirt with mine from time to time...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think I've got it.

This is the interior of the actual Rav being discussed here:

This is the interior of a random 2002 Rav:

and this is the interior of a Rav Sport with Sport cloth...note how very different it is from the two above:

So what you've got there is a regular 2002 Rav4 L, with its regular, non-upgraded, non-Sport interior, plus an OEM Sport hood.

In other words, apparently I'm not the only one who thought this mod was a good idea. :wink: So much for being unique! :?

Becky

·
Premium Member
3,345 Posts
Re: Should I buy a 2002 L w/hood scoop & Sport Cloth sea

Wayne said:
Toyota is billing the 4.3 as a 2007 model if I'm not mistaken.
Oops... you are mistaken Wayne. The '07 4.3's won't be out until probably late August 2006.

I wonder if the vehicle in question on this thread has an "L" on the rear door :?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a 2002 RAV4 L, with a build date of 11/01. There is no S on the back, but there is an L. It's in good shape, except for some rust at the bottom of the aftermarket bull far in front (it's a bit too big to my eye).

I keep coming back to the lot to look at it on the lot. It had a clear CARFAX report, but I just can't see someone buying a hood from a Sport model and putting it on, unless there was damage to the previous hood.

If it was $13,900, I'd buy it. But it's not.

Bill

·
Registered
422 Posts
:oops:

Heehee!

But yeah, that's what I'm saying in my post with the interior pics, a few posts above here.

Since the interior is the regular cloth and NOT the Sport cloth (as shown by the pics I posted), that Rav has gotta be an L with the Sport hood added, just like mine.

Becky

P.S. No damage to my previous hood...it's still sitting in a box in my garage, all shiny and new! :lol:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Every original body panel should have a sticker with the VIN number.

See if the hood has one and if it matches.

Sig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts