Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 RAV has been plagued with weird problems, but the latest is when it lurches and bucks while shifting (automatic). I did some research today and apparently it's an ECU problem, and there was a huge problem with this model. Anyone know what I should do? I live in the middle of nowhere with nary a Toyota mechanic close by. I'd like to get it fixed, if possible, rather than get a new one (I was reading about having to recode it for the keys to work) but don't know if my usual back porch mechanic can handle it.

Help ...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are the Trouble Codes I just read:

P0300
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304
Above are cylinder misfires, apparently on all cylinders.

P1135
P1155
O2 Sensors. One was replaced already.

P1305
Igniter circuit malfunction on cylinder 2. Anybody know what this means?

P1780
Park/Neutral position switch malfunction. I don't understand this one either.

Any help appreciated!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,330 Posts
You need to get that ECU repaired ASAP before it causes transmission damage. I'm willing to bet that after you install the repaired ECU, most if not all those codes will disappear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the ECU repaired and that mostly took care of all the trouble codes, except the P1305, cylinder no. 2 misfire. I got a coil pack to replace the bad one, but my question is, what is the location of cylinder no. 2??

Thanks ...

·
Registered
47 Posts
After replacing my ECU, about 2 days in, I had one code pop up. I want to say it was something about a random misfire or such. I cleared it, then it's been fine since. You might try the same, unless you already did.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,330 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like ECU problem but tough to tell specifically since you have had so many other problems.

I recommend this place Chkengine in Brooklyn, NY as they fixed mine and haven't had a problem since.
This dude has done atleast 3 of these for me, he is the best. His ebay auction cost is roughly 200 (down from 250 when he was the only option) but I sent him a "best offer" on the last one and had it done for $140.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.