Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, First post. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't find new member intro's. I bought a 2002 96,000 miles, didn't even get it home after the test drive and the transmission is going crazy. Slipping, racing, etc. I test drove it on dry ground and it poured on the way home. I'm in the process of reading the 62 page post on the ECM. I can't believe the difference between the test drive and the drive home. The guy who sold it to me is "big" enough that he told me he would go halves on replacing the tranny. But also said he hasn't had any problems with it......Right now I'm waiting for the son of the owner to get me the maintenance info from his mom, he also knows the previous owner who said he's had the ECM replaced...
I was hoping maybe there are forum members who live near me that might be willing to put my ECM in there vehicle (if it doesn't mess up anything else) where I could know for sure it is the ECM and not the trans.
Been looking for something decent for my daughter for almost 2 months and thought I had a winner. Maybe still do. It's in pretty good shape otherwise, and bought it for 3800.
Thanks for the vent. Any suggestions, opinions, criticisms appreciated.:nerd
R&R

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I would pay the $200 or whatever to get the ECM rebuilt and pray the transmission hasn't been damaged yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JuneBug. That's the option I was leaning towards also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on my Rav 4. I took the ECM out and found a circuit board medic.com sticker on it and it said warranty void if tape is cut. After talking to them they told me the warranty doesn't follow the car, it follows the person who paid to get it fixed. Board was rebuilt late last year. Was also sent in late summer 2017 to be checked. So basically I've been "had". I don't know how it could have drove as good as it did when I took it for a test drive. I do find it interesting that it's driving better now that I've taken the wiring harness off and then back on. There must be 100 wires connected to that thing! I miss the old rear wheel no electronic vehicles������. With all that, I'm taking it in tonight to a transmission place to have them look at it. Will post final results...
Lastly, does the ECM control my idle too? It's running rough now also...
R&R

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Lastly, does the ECM control my idle too? It's running rough now also...
No, when you disconnected the battery it cleared the memory of the ECM. It then has to re-learn all the engine parameters--until then, it's running on factory defaults which can cause a rough idle.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
Reactions: Riseandrun

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. You might have just saved me a lot of money. Follow up results to be posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well here are the results. Rebuilt transmission for 2900.00. Picked it up yesterday and talked to the guy who actually rebuilt it. Showed me the burned plates and several other things that were wrong. I'm not sure there were any parts that didn't get changed including the solenoids. l checked one of them when I did the trans fluid change from the above link. The repair guy said the solenoids had a " foreign stubstance" in them. I told him to remember our conversation if I decide to take the previous owner to court, which sounds like a real hassle. People don't live by the Golden Rule anymore. I'm pretty nieve to think someone could sell a faulty vehicle to someone just to dump the problems on them. ... Anyway I get in the car and I now have a check engine light 0500 that I cleared, and my inside fan is "dead". No heat,defrost,A/C. I'm checking fuses this morning and doing some searches. Could it be related to the trans? I'm wondering how the fuse might have popped...
This is turning into a nightmare...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts