Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,

Just bought this car and really like it. 72k miles, well cared for and serviced by Toyota.

When I start engine cold and then accelerate at a moderate rate, I hear a engine nock or rattle that sounds like valves and hopefully not a rod. After 15 minutes sound is less, undetectable.
mobdro lucky patcher kodi
Also, is the Toyota "Gold" extended warranty for 2 grand worth it??

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought my 2005 with 60,000 miles and also paid for a 100,000 mile (or 160,000 total mile) warranty. I've used it a couple times to replace bulbs, switches and O2 sensors. If I have head stud problems, coolant leaking, or oil consumption problems I'll be using it again.

The Toyota "knock" in cold temperatures is normal in my experience. My Tundra has always done it and so does my RAV4 (although the Tundra's is gawd awful). So do my Father's 2018 RAV4 and 2007 Tundra.

I don't know what necessarily a "moderate" rate is, but I avoid operation above 2,000 rpm until the engine is warm. Just my technique ?‍♂

·
Registered
54 Posts
mine had done it since new. It sounds like a the dreaded diesel clatter.
I was told it is the cam chain which streches with time and since the tension is fixed (no spring loaded pulley adjuster), it will rattle when cold.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts