Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I need to replace my rear diff, outer axle seals, was wondering if anyone knows if the stub shafts are retained by a C-clip requiring access by removing rear cover, or a compression clip (similar to what would retain an axle shaft) and Just pop it out with a little help from a pry bar ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have an open differential you'll need to pull the rear cover (c-clips), but if you have the very rare factory torsen lsd they will use a compression clip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
replace rear axle seals

I just replaced the rear axle seals on 2001 rav4 150k miles. The right seal was leaking. The back cover need to open up to get to the screw locking the axle. I end up replacing the left and right axle seal and the seal for the back cover. Now no more leak..

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just replaced the rear axle seals on 2001 rav4 150k miles. The right seal was leaking. The back cover need to open up to get to the screw locking the axle. I end up replacing the left and right axle seal and the seal for the back cover. Now no more leak..
Cool - did you remove the differential from the vehicle as indicated in the Chilton's guide as the first step, or did you do it with the diff still installed?

What do you attribute the leaking to - too much play in the diff carriers?

Just noticed my 2002/175K miles leaking on one side....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts