Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know if anyone has tried converting their 01 or 02 Rav4 rear drum to a disk setup.

I'd am planning on doing this conversion to my gf's Rav4 and I am trying to get an idea of parts needed.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff said:
Mainly for cosmetic reasons, but also disk brakes > drum brakes.

I guess this is something no one has thought about or done yet judging by the amount of responses?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Well its not that we haven't discussed it before, but it is something where the benefits don't outweigh the cost, so no one really has a reason to tackle it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff said:
Well its not that we haven't discussed it before, but it is something where the benefits don't outweigh the cost, so no one really has a reason to tackle it.
I'm just looking for information on part needed that aren't readily apparent.

Obviously I need:

Disks
Calipers
Spindle or suspension parts that caliper mounts too???
New Master Cylinder and/or proportioning valve.

I used the wonderful search and found nothing, so if it has been discussed before, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Rear discs were added so that people would have to bring their RAV's in for service. With drums not much goes wrong so the Toyota mechanics are becoming like the Maytag repairmen.

Tried tested and true, drums work! Rear discs are prone to seizing and excessive wear due to the amount of dirt that ends up back there. Give it a while and those of you out there with 2004/05 will be posting on here how much you really don't like the rear discs and how expensive they are for parts from the dealer.

Stay with what you got is my recommendation. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Unless you have a burning desire to have that look of sporty extravagance and the lack of practical everyday use.

Sorry to those with the discs already my deepest sympathy on the repair bills but know that it is not your fault and that it is "The Man" trying to take all of our money that is the real problem here.

Just Kidding! Well about some of it anyway. Later. M. :p

A

·
0 Posts
if you want it really badly, sell your current Rav4 and buy a used 04/05...it might be worth it considering better engine and your braking needs :wink:

other than that, it's truly a waste of ALOT of time and money

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
When I put on 18’s and painted the drums silver it actually looks very good. I was very suprised.
You can barely see them in my album.
If you want better braking and you plan on getting bigger rims dedicated to your RAV than get bigger front disks and calipers (if available). I can't for now because i have OEM's 16's for the winter :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adrenaline05Rav4L4WD said:
if you want it really badly, sell your current RAV4 and buy a used 04/05...it might be worth it considering better engine and your braking needs :wink:

The current 02 Rav4 stays. Its not mine to sell. I don't think that my gf is willing to part ways with it anyways. She loves that thing. There already been a little too much put into it to just trade up at this point.

Modifying any vehicle properly is never a waste of time. Waste of money? yes. Buying a new vehicle is a waste of money too because it instantly looses value.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mionee67 said:
When I put on 18’s and painted the drums silver it actually looks very good. I was very suprised.
You can barely see them in my album.
If you want better braking and you plan on getting bigger rims dedicated to your RAV than get bigger front disks and calipers (if available). I can't for now because i have OEM's 16's for the winter :(
Yea, I also have a set of 18's that are going to go on for a summer set. The 16's will be around for a winter set too. I didn't know that there were any available big brake kits available for the Rav4's. I was just going to go with cross drilled/ slotted configuration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Marcutio said:
Rear discs were added so that people would have to bring their RAV's in for service. With drums not much goes wrong so the Toyota mechanics are becoming like the Maytag repairmen.

Tried tested and true, drums work! Rear discs are prone to seizing and excessive wear due to the amount of dirt that ends up back there. Give it a while and those of you out there with 2004/05 will be posting on here how much you really don't like the rear discs and how expensive they are for parts from the dealer.

Stay with what you got is my recommendation. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Unless you have a burning desire to have that look of sporty extravagance and the lack of practical everyday use.

Sorry to those with the discs already my deepest sympathy on the repair bills but know that it is not your fault and that it is "The Man" trying to take all of our money that is the real problem here.

Just Kidding! Well about some of it anyway. Later. M. :p
Well kidding or not, I disagree with you on most of what you stated here.

Rear disks are not prone to excessive wear and or seizing. I don't know what vehicles you've seen this on, but I have never come across this. If the system is designed properly, the disk brakes will work and provide more stopping power than drums.

Drum brakes work ok and last a long time yes, but it is seriously dated technology. Drum brakes suck in the rain, in spirited driving they trap heat and have premature brake fade.

It is worth to have 4 wheel disks, not to mention it just happens to look a hell of a lot better. There is nothing impractical about disks. They simply work better in all weather conditions, less prone to brake fade, and will simply give shorter stopping distances.

I do not think it is righ to skew people into thinking 1900's technology is the way to go because if "it aint broke don't fix it" mentality.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
83 Posts
From what I have heard the rear drums are far more reliable and long lasting. The rear disk brakes are not exercised well enough in normal driving and are prone to rust and will have to be replaced periodically. My RAV 4,2 has all round disk brakes and I can see how little the rear disks are used. My very old Toyota Corolla (14 years old) has rear drums and they have never needed to be repaired. The front disk brakes on the Corolla have been changed twice in 14 years. I personally would be happy with rear drums. My two cents!

·
Registered
682 Posts
the rear brakes do crap all braking. why waste so much money on something just for looks. spend the money on something else for the car. just paint the rear drums if you're so concerned about looks.

A

·
0 Posts
adamdirt said:
if you want it really badly, sell your current RAV4 and buy a used 04/05...it might be worth it considering better engine and your braking needs :wink:

The current 02 RAV4 stays. Its not mine to sell. I don't think that my gf is willing to part ways with it anyways. She loves that thing. There already been a little too much put into it to just trade up at this point.

Modifying any vehicle properly is never a waste of time. Waste of money? yes. Buying a new vehicle is a waste of money too because it instantly looses value.

selling it was making a point...don't take it literally.

doing a rear disc conversion will take at least 1K, between all the parts and assembling them to actually work properly. how much is your RAV currently worth vs the money you'll spend? there will be no performance gains, it'll make the system worse than stock. -the front brakes are supposed to lock up before the rears (by converting to disks, it'll be pretty hard to not lock the rears before the fronts) thus, ABS will be always trying to figure out why the rears are doing more work.

if you haven't already, read all the info from stoptech about:

Brake Technology
The Physics of Braking Systems NEW
Brake Bias and Performance: Why Brake Balance Matters
Brake Systems and Upgrade Selections
Rear Brake Upgrades, Is Bigger Really Better?
ABS and Big Brake Kits Fundamentals, Impacts, and Real-World Solutions
Formulas for Vehicle Braking Dynamics

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

again, why is modifying a waste of time? because it wont work, period. even the guys at stoptech would take ALOT R&D. modifying things are worth it for benefits...not cons of ruining your braking system...leading to wrecking, thus no car. how is buying a new vehicle a waste of money when it's warrantied, safe, and no worries about serious problems? problems that could reduce your value once the brake system is completed jacked up...

again, i wouldn't do it man.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Adamdirt

How many vehicles have you owned with rear discs?

If I had the money back on the repair bills for the ones I had fixed I could almost buy your gf a new 05 RAV.

Experience my man, experience.

Listen to what is on here. That is what people here know about and have tried in the past with other vehicles. We are all here to share the knowlege. Some get it and some don't.

Later. M. :?

·
Registered
875 Posts
if it helps relieve your need to rear disk brakes, i read in an article about a conversion the magazine did on lancer. the breaking distance surprisingly increased. it did NOT improve. when combined with the effects of other mechanisms and the car as a whole, drums can actually outperform disks brakes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Marcutio said:
Adamdirt

How many vehicles have you owned with rear discs?
Both vehicles I currently own have 4 wheel disks. I have not had any direct caliper/brake pad/rotor problems with either vehicle ever. I have an issue in the winter with my truck. The rear calipers get stuck when using the parking brake. This is because my truck is really old and water gets into the mechanical brake line and freezes it up. That could occur with any type of brake.

Marcutio said:
If I had the money back on the repair bills for the ones I had fixed I could almost buy your gf a new 05 RAV.
It would have to be the sport package. She likes the hood.

Marcutio said:
Experience my man, experience.

Listen to what is on here. That is what people here know about and have tried in the past with other vehicles. We are all here to share the knowlege. Some get it and some don't.

Later. M. :?
I appreciate the info. I know that this undertaking would cost some bucks. I don't mind that if this is something that can be properly done. I do not see any reason why this cannot be done properly and safely. I've modified my vehicles, with much more underway in the future. If you have knowledge and the ability anything can be done.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
adamdirt said:

The current 02 RAV4 stays. Its not mine to sell. I don't think that my gf is willing to part ways with it anyways. She loves that thing. There already been a little too much put into it to just trade up at this point.

selling it was making a point...don't take it literally.

doing a rear disc conversion will take at least 1K, between all the parts and assembling them to actually work properly. how much is your RAV currently worth vs the money you'll spend? there will be no performance gains, it'll make the system worse than stock. -the front brakes are supposed to lock up before the rears (by converting to disks, it'll be pretty hard to not lock the rears before the fronts) thus, ABS will be always trying to figure out why the rears are doing more work.

if you haven't already, read all the info from stoptech about:

Brake Technology
The Physics of Braking Systems NEW
Brake Bias and Performance: Why Brake Balance Matters
Brake Systems and Upgrade Selections
Rear Brake Upgrades, Is Bigger Really Better?
ABS and Big Brake Kits Fundamentals, Impacts, and Real-World Solutions
Formulas for Vehicle Braking Dynamics

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/tech_white_papers.shtml

again, why is modifying a waste of time? because it wont work, period. even the guys at stoptech would take ALOT R&D. modifying things are worth it for benefits...not cons of ruining your braking system...leading to wrecking, thus no car. how is buying a new vehicle a waste of money when it's warrantied, safe, and no worries about serious problems? problems that could reduce your value once the brake system is completed jacked up...

again, i wouldn't do it man.
Good read on the aritcle. I know of StopTech because they make a FT big brake kit for my SRT-4.

Reading the information on the site only reassures me that this could be done and done properly. I'm not about to change something on the vehilcle that disturbs its safety. Either way thanks for the input. I'll post up later what I end up doing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts