Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just got an 03 L model with 100k on the odometer, all dealer serviced so it is pretty sweet.

One issue I've noticed is that my steering wheel is super easy to spin. That isn't the issue, the issue is that when I am doing a tight turn in a parking lot on when the car is almost stopped while I am turning the wheel it seems to "slip" meaning I am holding the wheel loosely and getting ready to turn it back the other way when it spins a few extra inches in the direction I was initially going...I thought it might be tire pressure but my fronts were at 25 and 30 which should be close enough that it isn't causing this..

Once again: I am turning sharply while going VERY slow or even stopped and the wheel spins a few extra inches seemingly on it's own (in the same directions I was taking the sharp turn) with very little pressure from me.

Any ideas? I am going to take it in and have them check the front end suspension/steering but wondering if I can figure it out first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is power steering up to par? Mine seems to push too much fluid. Sort if funny that the pump is giving too much pressure and I figure the R&P needs seals replaced (slight leakage). Are you sustaining fluid level? Has fluid been replaced?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is power steering up to par? Mine seems to push too much fluid. Sort if funny that the pump is giving too much pressure and I figure the R&P needs seals replaced (slight leakage). Are you sustaining fluid level? Has fluid been replaced?
Can you elaborate a little? How can I check pressure output? What/where are R&P seals? how do I check them? I think I am sustaining fluid level, I don't know if it's been replaced, but all service was done at dealer (down to oil changes and tire rotations that showed up on carfax) so it probably was....I've only really driven it about 600 miles...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can you elaborate a little? How can I check pressure output? What/where are R&P seals? how do I check them? I think I am sustaining fluid level, I don't know if it's been replaced, but all service was done at dealer (down to oil changes and tire rotations that showed up on carfax) so it probably was....I've only really driven it about 600 miles...
Rack & Pinion seals. Mine isn't leaking and power steering turns very easy, opposite of when the pump is disconnected or locked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts