Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum so I apologize in advance if this post should be somewhere else or is too long. I have a 2003 Rav4 that rear ended another vehicle so the radiator, bumper, hood, front fenders, etc are all ruined. For me repairing it is not an option. I must either replace this with another vehicle which leaves me two options in regards to this one: 1. Find another used Rav4 of same vintage with a blown engine or transmission but is otherwise good and put the engine and/or transmission from this one in it or 2. Sell this one for all its parts keeping in mind that the engine and transmission are both good (everything else from front wheels on back are undamaged). My question is if anyone has experience with either of the above situations and has a suggestion for where I might either find one with a blown engine (or other) OR where I might sell this one to get the most $ out of it as I can since I have to replace it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/guidance.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Is insurance involved?

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
You need to find the cost of switching an engine and transmission to another vehicle and then decide if it is worth the trouble. I think it is much easier to just sell it for parts and get another vehicle since it is time consuming not to mention if anything goes wrong after the swap.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Without photos (??).
- was the front end damage at 45 mph or 5 mph ... major or cosmetic ?
- is it totaled (bent frame), or just needs wrecking yard parts to fix-up ??
- had it been a 4x4, might be worth fixing / 2WD not as much
Most people with a Toyota 4x4, would swap in a transmission...if that is all it needed.

Ask you local wrecking yards, to keep an eye out for a suitable Gen2 SUV, with decent body.
Given demand - a 2x4/RWD model would be junked before a 4x4 one ever would.
- keep that in mind

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bent frame. I consider it as major damage and would cost more than getting another 2003. I suspect I'm going to part it out. I'm just trying to decide the best way to go about it. I expect that a "webuyusedcars" type place will only give a few hundred dollars (maybe, I honestly don't know as I've never dealt with this situation before) and I really would like to get more than that for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts