Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car recently has had a problem where it would sometimes miss at lower rpms (but not at idle) but it then would clear up and run fine - acted like a plug was fouling. It seemed to run ok over 3000 rpm.
During one of these episodes, it completely lost power and shut down. No CEL came on then. I'm not sure if the CEL is on with key-on - I will check. I have not done any further diagnostics yet. Unfortunately, I don't have all my tools with me and I'm in Costa Rica.
I assume the misfire and the shut down are related. I'll check fuses and relays tomorrow.
Anything specific I should check? Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It cranked but wouldn't fire.

I went to the car today and the battery was completely dead. Swapped in a charged battery and the car started up immediately.
Baffling. What would discharge the battery in 1.5 days, no lights were left on? The alternator charged the battery with no problem, btw.
It still sometimes has the lower rpm miss, which doesn't occur above 2000 rpm.
Any ideas on the shutdown?

·
Super Moderator
9,300 Posts
If it was a 4.3 model we'd instantly suspect the battery. They'll crank over and usually start with a VERY weak battery - even starting at 8-9 volts. Then one day nothing! Sounds like the 4.2s also crank on low voltage but either the ignition or injection won't work at that low a voltage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did alternator and charging system design and I'm sure it is not an alternator or battery issue. Voltage is 12.5 keyoff and 13.5 running - exactly what it should be. Cranking was exactly what I expected with a good battery. I also just checked the keyoff loads and they are low like they should be.

Made it back home.
Pulled off the coils and the plugs. Plugs were fine but I found one of the coils had a tiny spring as the contact. Obviously someone lost the correct spring and put in a smaller one. I replaced it with a longer one and the miss is gone.

I recall seeing a post where someone explained that there's a feedback expected from the coils and if it's not there, the computer will shut down the car. Is this correct? Could this be the cause of the shutdown?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts