Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has around 100k km and has started to run into some problems surrounding what I believed to be the transmission. At first the car wouldn't accelerate until I would ease off the gas and try again, and even then sometimes the car would kind of have a huge bump feeling coming from the back axle. The engine lights came on and brought it to a shop. They didn't tell me what the codes were and just told me that I needed to replace my transmission.

I did some research and decided to drain and add some new transmission fluid which seemed to fix the problem for a few days, however the symptoms would appear again. When it initially started it had a hard shift going to Reverse and Drive, but as the seasons got warmer and we changed the tranny fluid again it seemed to vanish and only the transmission slips and a slight scratching sound would appear when the car was shifting between second and third gear.

I decided to do some more research and found out that my year and model of car has a ECU problem and a lot of the symptoms are very similar. I just wanted to get some experienced and informed posters opinions before I send my ECU out for repairs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
when the ECU starts flipping out, it can have all sorts of weird behavior. But sending it out for repair is certainly cheaper than a new transmission, so I would definitely do that first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are a few people on eBay who will fix the ECU. They will send you a refurbished one and then you send yours back to them. Kinda like an expidited RMA service. Costs around $100 -$150.

I did this 2 years ago and it worked great. I'd say who the seller was but my eBay history apparently deleted itself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had same problems with 02Rav4. Found guy on ebay. Cost $75. U remove ECU. Easy to remove and put back in. Mail it to him, and hill fix your ECU and mail it back within 2 weeks. If your any good with soldering u can fix it yourself.
I got mine back in less than 2 weeks.
Its over a year now and shes been running great up until last week. Unrelated issue.. The shifter linkage locked up going from rev to drive. Thats what im on here to figure out to fix, when i came across ur post.
Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd say DON'T send it in to be fixed unless you have a backup car. The before mentioned 'refurb/trade' option means you won't be down for 2 weeks waiting for a fix. You get a refurb, you install it, then you send yours in. If you can limp your tranny along to avoid the symptoms, it should be fine.
Also, unless you know exactly what you're doing, do not do exploratory soldering surgery on the ECU. Most of the eBay sellers either won't fix it, or won't accept it as a 'core return'. They know what the issue is and how to test it, you don't. They don't know what you potentially made worse while trying to solder it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts