Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Unfortunately I've had to call upon the help of you guys for a recent issue which my 2004 RAV4 Cruiser (2.4l Petrol (2AZ-FE engine)).

Over the past few weeks it hesitates to start first thing in the morning when the engine is cold (It want to start, but doesn't fire for about 4 seconds. It used to start after about 2 seconds first thing in the morning. The car idles and accelerates fine when cold, and starts fine once warm. The car normally uses shell V-Power fuel to keep the fuel system clean, and the plugs were changed about 60,000 km ago.

It has done around 140,000 km, and drives like a dream, just hesitates to start first thing in the morning.

I had suspected leaking injectors, but I would expect it to hesitate sluggish / hesitant starting if I hadn't driven it for 2 hours, but it starts fine after being first driven easier in the day.

Could you guys give me some advice on what i need to check, noting that I currently don't have a OBDII code scanner t confirm any codes, noting that the engine light has not come on.

There is not smoke after a cold start, or any oil/water usage issues with the car either.

Thanks in advance

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Tim, you should have the battery properly load tested. I'm betting a new battery will solve your problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tim, I live in Melbourne and I've noticed the same starting problem with my wife's 2003 Rav4. How did you fix it? The battery is about 3 years old and I cleaned the Mass Air Flow sensor and the inside of the Throttle body with mass air flow cleaner last weekend. I replaced the spark plugs about 1,500 kms ago (NGK Iridium plugs), but it is still taking longer to start.
Once it starts, it's good for the rest of the day.
There's a newer battery in my daughter's car which I will transfer in the RAV for a few days to see if it makes any difference.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts