Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Rav4 that has started acting up. The problem does not happen all the time. When you start the Rav4 it will start with the ABS, Tire Pressure light, and Brake light illuminated. The rest of the gauges, lights, and radio do not work and you can not put the Rav4 into gear. After some time could be 20 seconds could be one minute the P on the parking light will slowly start to light up and once fully lit up everything kicks in and it works fine with no check engine light. Now when you put into reverse the transmission hits hard and all the lights go out again except for the ABS, Tire Pressure, and Brake. Put it into drive and they all kick back in again with no check engine light. Put it back into reverse and the problem is gone. I have a video of it but not sure how to post it. I was wondering if anyone has seen this and can point me in the right direction.

Thank you

Justin

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the forum Justin. I feel your pain with the electrical issues. Are you aware of the ECU and the transmission troubles it brings? I mention this because you stated when you put it into reverse it hits hard. Have you had any other electrical problems with the car in the past? How about transmission? How many miles on it?
Hopefully you will get a few more experienced owners to chime in. I'm only asking questions they might ask.
R&R

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum Justin. I feel your pain with the electrical issues. Are you aware of the ECU and the transmission troubles it brings? I mention this because you stated when you put it into reverse it hits hard. Have you had any other electrical problems with the car in the past? How about transmission? How many miles on it?
Hopefully you will get a few more experienced owners to chime in. I'm only asking questions they might ask.
R&R
Thank you for the reply!! I have been a long time lurker here I must admit. The RAV has 226,000 miles on it and I have never had any trouble with the transmission. I have always had it serviced at the correct mileage. The only thing with the transmission that has been odd is it will not shift into third until it warms up. That has been like that since day 1. I have not had any electrical issues in the the past with the RAV and I am not aware of the ECU and transmission problems. I googled my issue and nothing came up. I replaced the brake switch so far. Was thinking it might be the neutral switch. Any help from the forums here will be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. After looking at the thread I do think it is most likely the ECU. The first issue that arose was the hard shift into Reverse. The other problems showed up later. Does anyone have a shop to recommend for the ECU repair? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I didn't reread demoder's full dissertation but thought he's mentioned a good ECU repair for $72. If it's not delineated try a PM to him.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Ok. After looking at the thread I do think it is most likely the ECU. The first issue that arose was the hard shift into Reverse. The other problems showed up later. Does anyone have a shop to recommend for the ECU repair? Thank you.
The first and in my opinion the best repair shop for this is Check Engine, Inc. in Brooklyn. I've never heard any negative comments about their work. Here's the link: Check Engine

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you search on EBay for a seller named mandigital you will find an alternative repair for $80. I have never used anyone since my Toyota is only a few months old. The previous owner used circuitboardmedics.com but I think they waited so long that the transmission was shot when I got it. $2900.00 later I have an almost completely new transmission. I don't know if they reused anything from the old. Now you have 3 sources. :)
224,000 on a transmission I'd say you got your money's worth. Hope I make it to 200k... please LUK the final verdict.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update - I had the ECU repaired and it took car of the hard shift into reverse. However I was still having power issues on startup and when I put it into reverse. I checked some ground wires and they all looked good. I then did some reading on the Neutral safety switch that sits on the transmission. I decided to look at that and when I pulled the plug off of it there was what I assume is transmission fluid on the plug and connector. I blew out the plug and connector with the air compressor and so far so good. The transmission is due for its next service in about 10,000 miles. It has 226,000 miles on it. I will plan on pulling the pan replacing the filter, seal, and neutral safety switch and call it a day. I hope this solves my issue. We will see. Thank you all for the help!!!!!

Thank you

Justin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts