Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello you experts! I tip my hat in respect.

Has any of you seen this unusually (at least to me) situation? The front right door window and the Back Right door windows can be lowered by each control button on each door but will not go up by the same control button. However, all windows will go up and down fine from the main control on the driver's side. What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Moved to correct forum.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
It's probably a broken wire inside the harness to the driver's door where it twists near the hinge.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It almost has to be a problem internal to the master switch .

When the master switch is used to operate the windows it sends voltage and ground to the window motor over a pair of wires. The voltage and ground is reversed when you want the window to move in the opposite direction. Because of this we know that the wires to the doors are OK.

When you use the individual door switch to operate the windows, the voltage comes from a different source to the motors and then flows to ground via one of the two wires back to the master switch. This setup is required so that the Drivers Window Lock will work. It appears that the ground is not being applied by the master switch. (remember we know the wires are OK).

It's also possible that both door switches have failed in the same manner. Did the problem with both doors occur at the same time, or did one fail a considerable time before the other. If they failed at the same time then I believe the master switch is at fault.If at different times, then it may be a design flaw in the door switches.

If you are able to remove the master switch to gain access to the connector, I can provide some tips on proving that it is the problem by simply applying a ground to the wire that should be grounded by the switch itself.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
It almost has to be a problem internal to the master switch .

The voltage and ground is reversed when you want the window to move in the opposite direction. Because of this we know that the wires to the doors are OK.
Good thinking Rick. And the switch is much easier to replace than reconnecting the wires. I've done that on a Tundra with 200K and it wasn't fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dr. Dyno for moving my post to the right location. Sorry for the mistake.

Thanks Rickl and everyone else for your input on this issue. Im willing to try your suggestions. How do i apply ground to and which wire on the master switch controller? Yes i know how to gain access to the master switch controller. What should i be looking for once i apply ground to the correct wire (assuming i can figure out which is the correct wire). To be honest i dont when and if both windows in the back failed at the same time or not. I do know when i bought the SUV used the driver side and front passenger side lock actuators were not working. I replaced both of them myself. During installation i broke the lock assembly so i got a replacement reconditioned from Ebay for the driver side. Then all of a sudden the passenger side that was working before stopped working. Thats when i noticed the two back window lift controllers not functioning correctly. But the locks in the back function well. I will be taking apart soon the front right lock actuator to seem what is going on.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
  • Remove the connector from the backside of the master switch.
  • Verify that the pin configuration matches the drawing (below) (the harness connector, not the switch connector).
  • To test the front passenger window, place a wire between pins #13 & #15, to verify you are reading the pin #'s correctly these pins should have green/red and a Light-Blue/white wire connected to them.
  • Connect these 2 pins to ground
  • Check if the passenger door window now works normally

Perform the following to check the right-rear door window

• Place a wire between pins #16 & #18, to verify you are reading the pin #'s correctly these pins should have red/Light-Blue and Red/Yellow wire connected to them.
  • Connect these 2 pins to ground
  • Check if the rear right side door window works correctly

Note that the ignition must be turned on to perform these tests.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks Rick for your reply but how do I connect to ground? Which one of the pins is ground?

If it was me, I would have just connected the wire to any part of the frame, for example the unpainted metal under the dash. If you want to use a ground within the connector, then pins #1 & #3 ,either/or, can be used. Both are white/black wires.

Since you needed to ask how to connect to ground, I assume that you don't have a lot of experience with automotive wiring. Due to this observation I feel that I must warn you that I cannot be responsible for any damage that might occur while attempting to follow my instructions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it was me, I would have just connected the wire to any part of the frame, for example the unpainted metal under the dash. If you want to use a ground within the connector, then pins #1 & #3 ,either/or, can be used. Both are white/black wires.

Since you needed to ask how to connect to ground, I assume that you don't have a lot of experience with automotive wiring. Due to this observation I feel that I must warn you that I cannot be responsible for any damage that might occur while attempting to follow my instructions.
No worries my friend Rick. You are relieved of all responsibilities. I'm just grateful to get some tips on how to proceed with this issue and by the way I'm a fast learner. I'm pretty good and comfortable with learning new things.

Thanks I will get to work on it and give you a feedback. Thanks again sir!:smile

1 - 11 of 11 Posts