Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rav4 family, kindly help me understand this: I have been experiencing the infamous 2nd to 3rd shifting and bang/delay in reverse in Automatic 2004 Rav4. I have already sent ECM for repairs but little improvement I have noticed. Is it normal to drive at 75km to 80km/hr at 3000RPM?
I got DTC codes for Upstream and Downstream oxygen sensors at different times (P0037 and P02238). I'm yet to replace them but I want to understand if these oxygen sensors when failed can cause Automatic shifting problems in 2004 Rav4?
Thanks very much

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is it normal to drive at 75km to 80km/hr at 3000RPM?
No, not with the dash indications in your photos. The vehicle is 3rd gear and I don't see O/D Off indicated. Unless you were driving up a hill or passing someone, the vehicle should be in 4th gear, engine turning about 2,500 rpm.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,175 Posts
Those codes should not affect your tranny.

P0037 is related to Bank 1 sensor 2 having a low voltage and P02238 is low circuit on bank 1. You have already sent to ECM for checks, but you need to also check the harness and circuit for damage or green crusties for:

Faulty Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 - this is the last one to address
Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 fuse
Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 harness is open or shorted
Heated Oxygen Sensor (H2OS) Bank 1 Sensor 2 circuit poor electrical connection

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, not with the dash indications in your photos. The vehicle is 3rd gear and I don't see O/D Off indicated. Unless you were driving up a hill or passing someone, the vehicle should be in 4th gear, engine turning about 2,500 rpm.
[/QUOTE
Okay thanks very much. So it means I should have switch off the O/D?

·
Registered
438 Posts
No, not at all.

But it looks worse than I originally thought if your speedometer is primarily reading MPH. It appears stuck in 2nd gear, not 3rd.

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,175 Posts
Looking at the codes you have posted (missed it earlier), you have got temp sensor problems and EVAP leak problems too

These will need to be systematically looked and and corrected

·
Registered
2010 2.0 VVTi RAV 4
1,175 Posts
The P0776 code is tranny related, and I suspect this is where your problem lies for the shift issues - it is not functioning, or is stuck in the off position. Causes are

Low transmission fluid level
Dirty transmission fluid
Faulty line pressure solenoid 'B' valve
Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve harness is open or shorted
Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve circuit poor electrical connection

My first thoughts are on the tranny fluid/filter - has the fluid been changed for OE spec fluid? Has the filter been changed at the same time?

I would also check the wiring harness for damage or green crusties.

This should give you some direction - let us know how you get on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately, the vehicle, my Rav, could not reach home today. It suddenly veered into a bush in a ditch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, the vehicle, my Rav, could not reach home today. It suddenly veered into a bush in a ditch.
Thank you very much for your replies, I wish I had come here earlier for expert opinion. Previous tranny acted same way ie harsh shifting and we condemned it and went for a used tranny and of course Toyota Automatic transmission fluid Type T-IV, vehicle worked for barely a month and started experiencing shifting problems again and that was when I came to know faulty ECM could cause same problems. After ECM repair and reprogramming, shifting improved than before but started acting up again shortly afterwards. Since the ECM repair, I have not had the P0776 code. I have also changed fluid in the current tranny on 3 occasions but filter once and not much improvement.
I had plans to visit auto electrician today Saturday for another diagnosis and possible solution to existing MIL which I thought would be due to faulty oxygen sensors since those have not yet been changed before.
My Rav4 unfortunately has suffered another major setback which is being linked to a locked up rear wheels. Looks like it's time to throw in the towel on my Rav. I'm really sad not but you have been very helpful with suggestions that I was hoping to employ to bring life back into my car. If I'm able to return to the road with it, I will let you all know.
Thank you very much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts