Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

Just purchased a 2004 Rav4 in Everglade Metallic/Mica. I just "traded down" from a 2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad. I had built the "Ripcord Popup Camper" and had modded it quite a bit.

I had to sell my tacoma as I just moved to Canada from the US and the import taxes / and paying off the remainder of my car loan something I wasn't interested in.

Pretty stoked to have picked up a very clean 2004 Rav4 with 192,000KMs on it outside of Montreal and I thought I'd start a build thread.

Thank's to all who have already shared great information in the 4.2 forum section. Invaluable!

Week 1:
  • Swap from original silver steel wheels to black OEM style stock steelies for a more rugged look
  • Removed spare tire cover
  • Removal of bug deflector (may put back on, can't decide)
  • removed dealer 17 year old dealer logos
  • LED swap of all interior lights
  • LED swap out of headlights, running lights, taillights, breaks lights
Soon:
  • Debadge /Replacement of back emblems with classic "TOYOTA" logo and black out of 4WD emblem
  • Grill swap to mesh grill with TOYOTA Landcruiser style front badge (on order)
  • Foglight install (on order)
  • Headlight replacement with blacked out headlights (waiting for stock...)
  • Lift Kit (about to order)
  • After winter will be ordering new tires (likely Falken Wildpeak, any suggestions?)
  • Paint front and rear bumper black (maybe?)

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Cloud
Cloud Sky Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
742 Posts
Welcome to RAV4world. I hope you'll enjoy your new toy as much as I do!

Reactions: EvergladeRav

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't know what kind of lift you're interested in, but the OME suspension could come with a six month wait. I ordered my second set this July, cancelled the order in October, and low and behold they arrived on my doorstep last week! I never actually paid for them I don't think? Merry Christmas to me I guess . . .

What brand LED's did you go with inside?

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RockRoad just replied to my email enquiring about the kits. Seems like it could take awhile

Art Font Circle Number Pattern

RE: LED's

I went with what was available on Amazon.ca with good ratings/reviews. All my dome lights were burnt out so was eager to get them replaced.

Did 5500k color temp in the two dome/door activated lights and red LED for the map light.

I don't know what kind of lift you're interested in, but the OME suspension could come with a six month wait. I ordered my second set this July, cancelled the order in October, and low and behold they arrived on my doorstep last week! I never actually paid for them I don't think? Merry Christmas to me I guess . . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also received my OEM kit. I ordered it in June and just got it yesterday. I think they might be coming in faster now that the parts from Australia came in. I look forward to see your future projects!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey All,

Just purchased a 2004 Rav4 in Everglade Metallic/Mica. I just "traded down" from a 2017 Tacoma TRD Offroad. I had built the "Ripcord Popup Camper" and had modded it quite a bit.

I had to sell my tacoma as I just moved to Canada from the US and the import taxes / and paying off the remainder of my car loan something I wasn't interested in.

Pretty stoked to have picked up a very clean 2004 Rav4 with 192,000KMs on it outside of Montreal and I thought I'd start a build thread.

Thank's to all who have already shared great information in the 4.2 forum section. Invaluable!

Week 1:
  • Swap from original silver steel wheels to black OEM style stock steelies for a more rugged look
  • Removed spare tire cover
  • Removal of bug deflector (may put back on, can't decide)
  • removed dealer 17 year old dealer logos
  • LED swap of all interior lights
  • LED swap out of headlights, running lights, taillights, breaks lights
Soon:
  • Debadge /Replacement of back emblems with classic "TOYOTA" logo and black out of 4WD emblem
  • Grill swap to mesh grill with TOYOTA Landcruiser style front badge (on order)
  • Foglight install (on order)
  • Headlight replacement with blacked out headlights (waiting for stock...)
  • Lift Kit (about to order)
  • After winter will be ordering new tires (likely Falken Wildpeak, any suggestions?)
  • Paint front and rear bumper black (maybe?)

View attachment 174926 View attachment 174927 View attachment 174925 View attachment 174923 View attachment 174924
View attachment 174928 View attachment 174929
Looking to do a lot of the same stuff you are, any chance you can post links to where you found your parts? Left a Tacoma for a Rav4 too

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had quite a few parts come in over the holiday and hoping to get them on this week
Holding off on the lift kit for a minute, till I see how much the holidays set me back.

AER who makes the e-locker just posted about a new grill they will have for sale soon for 4.2 / 4.3 Ravs. Wish I would have known it was coming or I would have waited. No details on pricing.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Progress Update:

It wasn't too cold outside today (-5 C / 23 F) so I went ahead and took off the tow hitch that had been installed. Took a bit of WD-40 and a heat gun to get the seized bolts loose.

I figured it was a good thing to do - extra weight, better departure angle, and it was just a bit ugly / rusty. I don't plan on towing anything and would prefer a spare tire bike rack if I need to carry my bikes on the outside of the car.

I also used the heat gun to take off the Toyota logo emblem. I'm going to replace it with the Toyota logotype this "TOYOTA" emblem above the Rav4 badge that I picked up on Ebay as soon as I plastidip the other emblems black (its a hard life not having a garage).

Additionally here is an extra shot of the front without the bug-deflector on. Hope to do the grill replacement and fogs next week.

Before:
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

After:
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Plant

·
Registered
546 Posts
The 2.4L with the U140F transmission is a sensitive (expletive) to weight. Pounds matter. Off-roading this summer demonstrated how badly this needs a two-speed transfer case, and I've only got 225/70s. I really wish I could find a low mileage/good condition 5-speed RAV4.2.

THREAD DRIFT
You say you came from a 2017 Tacoma? I just pulled an orange '17 Tacoma out of a ditch this afternoon. I asked him why he put chains on the rear wheels only and not the front. He told me Toyota prohibits chains on the front of the Tacoma due to control arm issues. Did you ever experience something like this? I couldn't believe how useless that thing was in the snow. We have almost three feet in our neck of the woods.

P.S. I came from a 2002 Tundra with a Detroit rear locker. My RAVs are without debate a better winter rig than my previous. My best explanation is weight distribution: an unloaded truck bed just doesn't generate as much traction in the rear as these 98" wheelbase RAVs do.

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The 2.4L with the U140F transmission is a sensitive (expletive) to weight. Pounds matter. Off-roading this summer demonstrated how badly this needs a two-speed transfer case, and I've only got 225/70s. I really wish I could find a low mileage/good condition 5-speed RAV4.2.

THREAD DRIFT
You say you came from a 2017 Tacoma? I just pulled an orange '17 Tacoma out of a ditch this afternoon. I asked him why he put chains on the rear wheels only and not the front. He told me Toyota prohibits chains on the front of the Tacoma due to control arm issues. Did you ever experience something like this? I couldn't believe how useless that thing was in the snow. We have almost three feet in our neck of the woods.

P.S. I came from a 2002 Tundra with a Detroit rear locker. My RAVs are without debate a better winter rig than my previous. My best explanation is weight distribution: an unloaded truck bed just doesn't generate as much traction in the rear as these 98" wheelbase RAVs do.
I wish mine was manual too. I was in a rush to buy as I had a lot of other things going on (immigration, work, etc).

I never have had to use chains, so afraid I'm not very knowledgeable in that department.

I'm pretty happy with the car so far. I haven't done any off roading since I got it, but its a huge difference driving it in the city. My Tacoma was a double cab, long bed. So only a few inches shorter than your Gen1 Tundra. Not to mention the sight-lines in the Rav are pretty great. Its a better suited for the city, and I bet my neighbors are happy that 2 compact car spots are now available for street parking.

Where did you find that grill? Looks retro cool
AER is starting to sell them http://instagr.am/p/CX_RSZArNqT/

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Small Win:

When I bought the car I was told it had an aftermarket remote start installed, but there were no remotes. Luckily the owner had kept the manual for the system in the glove box.

In a stroke of luck today I found 2 remotes on Facebook Marketplace for $30 that matched the system. The guy who I bought them from actually used to be a tech for a company who installed and set it up for me on the spot.

Happy to now have remote locking and start now. Makes a huge difference coming from a newer car. It's been almost 10 years since I didn't have a fob.

Hand White Car Finger Automotive design

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish mine was manual too. I was in a rush to buy as I had a lot of other things going on (immigration, work, etc).

I never have had to use chains, so afraid I'm not very knowledgeable in that department.

I'm pretty happy with the car so far. I haven't done any off roading since I got it, but its a huge difference driving it in the city. My Tacoma was a double cab, long bed. So only a few inches shorter than your Gen1 Tundra. Not to mention the sight-lines in the Rav are pretty great. Its a better suited for the city, and I bet my neighbors are happy that 2 compact car spots are now available for street parking.

AER is starting to sell them http://instagr.am/p/CX_RSZArNqT/
AER want $288 for them

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

I recently found this image of what I believe is a 4.3. I think its got a real clean but rugged design and is the first illustration of what I'm trying to accomplish with my build aesthetically. LC style grill, fog lights, black wheels, window deflectors, antenna replacement.

I liked the antenna idea so I thought I'd give it a try.

Antenna Mast Replacement:

I picked up a cheap mast replacement from Canadian Tire which had a few adapters. Went on easy and I feel like its a good look.

I mostly just listen to music on my iPhone through a bluetooth adapter, so any reduction in signal is not an issue. I didn't see much noticeable change while in the city of what frequencies I could pull in. Will throw the old one in the trunk floor storage just in case.

With that said my Radio Antenna Mast Cover is cracked and could use a replacement, and the nut was so corroded it basically disintegrated. So I will end up replacing these two parts. For reference to other users the Toyota part numbers are

Radio Antenna Cover - 8639242010
Radio Antenna Base Nut - 8639616020

When you unscrew the OEM antenna mast, you will see the base nut. If you unscrew the base nut from the antenna assembly itself the antenna cover will pop out easily and you can replace it.

Automotive parking light Car Sky Window Wheel
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Window Motor vehicle
Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Rectangle Font

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
LED Bulb Swap Details:

Thought I'd share from links from Amazon Canada that I used for my LED light swap. Can't attest to ones that are stocked on Amazon US or anywhere else.

I haven't replaced the front turn signals or the rear turn signals yet as I am waiting on a relay to arrive that will prevent hyperflashing on these bulbs. I went with this one from Diode Dynamics.

Its backordered on their website but I found one from a shop in Winnipeg. Just search CF18 (LM449) and you should be able to find a shop in your country that stocks them.

Additionally here is a photo from my owner's manual that details bulb types:

Font Number Pattern Office equipment Symbol

• Interior Dome Lights(clear)
    • Big improvement in visibility inside the car
  • Interior Map Light (Red)
    • I'm always a fan of RED for the map light as it helps not kill your night vision
  • Rear Brake Lights (Red)
    • Left, Right and Third Brake Light behind rear hatch glass
    • Getting Red LED's really helps them pop vs normal bulbs behind the red plastic
    • Note: This is the same bulb type for the rear turn signals, but when I installed them they hyper flashed.
  • Rear Back-up-Reverse Lights
    • Huge improvement over the existing bulbs
  • License Plate Light
    • I initially bought a 10 pack of these because its the same type of bulb in the sidemarkers up front, later decided to go with amber bulbs.
  • Front Running/Sidemarkers Lights(amber)
    • I found that getting actual amber colored LED's makes a huge difference in the quality of color coming from the amber sidemarkers in the headlights. I had first installed the regular white lights, and just swapped them out for these.
  • Headlights
    • I'm on the fence about these. They seem brighter but as I've read from other users on this forum, they seem to scatter the light more in the housing. I need to spend some time adjusting my beam height and a the portion of my headlight that covers the bulb on my passenger side fell off into the housing at some point before purchase, that that may be explaining what I'm seeing. I'm eventually going to replace the headlights so not worried about it at the moment. Additionally the high-beam indicator does not work when used with these bulbs.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Headlamp

Font Number Pattern Office equipment Symbol
      Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Headlamp

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rear Badge Change / Blackout:

Toyota Logo to Logotype, blacked out with plastdip.

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Before:
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
After:
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
DIY 8020 Aluminum Extrusion Roof Tray:

SEE POST #24 for build details

I've been debating picking up a roof basket over the last few days. The thing is I really don't need one (I don't for see loading all that much on the roof if I can help it), and I don't really want to add to drag and increase the wind noise. What I would want from a roof basket would be additional mounting points for lights, maxtrax, shovel, etc

I started thinking about roof tray type accessories which have the t-slot functionality for easy mounting of gear. Yet they are spendy and they don't look quite as integrated as say the Prinsu racks being offered for later year Ravs, Tacomas, etc.

Then I stumbled upon a DIY roof-rack thread on another forum for 200 series cruisers that used 8020 extrusion to expand the number of bars and their functionality in the factory side rails. It's a perfect idea, relatively cheap and gives an integrated look, with less drag than a full on basket or platform.

In short, get 8020 (1020 is the size) extrusions cut to size. Get some corner brackets and t-lot nuts. T-slot nuts slide in the factory side rails and bolt the new cross bars. With the t-slot tracks you can add mounting accessories from many aftermarket rack producers.

Cost w/o shipping for my order of 5 cross bars and mounting hardware was $135 from TNutz.

I'll post some photos and an install guide when my order arrives and I get it installed.

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Circle

Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wheel Black Out:

Its a small detail, but I swapped out my chrome lugs for black lugs from McGuard. Photos look a little funny because the wheels are so dirty and the lugs are clean. Only chrome left is on the headlights.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like what i'm seeing so far... I also wanted to replace the Toyota symbol with the lettering so thanks for showing me what it would look like. I planned to just have the TOYOTA and nothing else. I have the chili version and will also do the same to the front grill, kinda like a cheap version of the land cruiser.

I actually just picked mine up as well and saw this one you got for sale, but I'm way too far in Ontario. I was also interested in those blacked-out headlights and can't wait to see what they look like if you do get them. I've done a few retrofits in the past and might go that route - just take the stockers apart and paint them black and either retrofit some projectors with HID's or remove that anti-glare shield that fell off on yours and put some mini projector led bulbs in there.

I am also in need of some fog lights... you're lucky there are so many Gen2 Rav's listed on Kennyupull (Wreckers) closer to your area so junkyard parts are aplenty.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts