21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Kennyupull
Hey Thanks!

Yeah I plan to do the same as you. That AER grill is a bit pricey it seems and I already had a Chili style grill on order before they released it. I'm picking it up down in Vermont tomorrow and I have a landcruiser style emblem on hand.

The shop with the headlights just got back to me by email again today. They are saying they wont be in till March. I may just pull my headlights out and crack them open to do the mod. I'm a fan of the amber turn signal and the model they were selling had them all in clear. I'm planning to Lamin X the fogs in Amber.

Thanks so much for sharing the KennyUPull website. I'm new to the area and wasn't familiar with this resource. Theres lots I'd like to do if I could pick up some parts cheap (Limited series upgrades - heated seats, auto-dimming review mirror, heated side mirrors, etc). Ebay is tough with most of the sellers being US based.

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Introtech - Hexomat Floor Mats:

I like everyone else, I want the same Weathertech Floor liners I've had in my last 3 cars. I took a chance and ordered these on Amazon.com (set of 4) and the rear cargo mat which I haven't received yet. They are available from other retailers as well.

I read a positive review of these floormats in the New York Times. They said specifically:

"We preferred the Hexomats to the similar WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats, which are another model-specific choice and also use factory mounting points. Hexomats fit better in our 2004 Toyota RAV4, and their thinner profile conformed better to irregularities in the floor. The WeatherTech Mats are soft and cushy, but their non-skid surface makes them not only harder to clean than Hexomats, but among the most difficult to clean of all the products we tested. (WeatherTech’s All-Weather Floor Mats use a different material than that of our top pick, the WeatherTech’s FloorLiners, which we found are much easier to clean.)"

The bit about the irregularities in the floor is what sold me. My car came with some Toyota branded matts - which after looking at the back of them I believe are the OEM all weather mats. They have cut outs where the floor is raised in the driver and passenger area and honestly don't provide very good coverage of the floor. The rear matts are tiny. (I'll add some more photos tomorrow of the coverage of the OEM mats - EDIT: see below). These matts mimic more of the stock carpet mats and cover the bumps in the floor no problem as they are super flexible.

(front/rear set or individual sets)

(The other option from this link is a rear seat liner that is 1 piece instead of 2 separate mats)

They fit pretty damn well. It seems to me that they must have a pattern/templates of the floor and they just cut this rubber material to size for different models.

I went with gray - I put gray Weathertechs in my wifes car last year (also has a grey scheme interior) and I felt it really helped to ability to see things on the floor vs black matts. I also dont think they show dirt and dried salt nearly as much.Really lightened up the interior vs the black floor mats I had in there.

Can't wait for the cargo area mat to arrive.

Car Gear shift Vehicle White Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

Great coverage in passenger footwell, even over the big hump int the floor.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

On the right hand side the line they cut isn't quite in line with the shape of the floor. and I feel like it could have extended up on to cover the left foot rest.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Great coverage on the rear matts.In retrospect I wish I would have ordered the single piece rear mat to cover the hump.

Automotive tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive design

Passenger OEM vs Hexomat
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Tints and shades Auto part

Driver OEM vs Hexomat
Grille Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Mesh

Rear OEM vs Hexomat
OEM Rear Wiper (part# 85242-42020)

I read this in several other threads. Aftermarket rear wiper replacements don't have enough torsion in blade to get a clean wipe on the top of the window. Popped this on today (along with a new cover that was missing for where it bolts on the the motor assembly - part# 85292-28030)

Night and day difference. And the new wiper arm cap covered up a rusting nut that was an eyesore.

Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
547 Posts
The WeatherTech floor mats suck for the RAV4.2. They don't fit well over the uneven floors, and get stuck in the seat tracks (rear mats). The cargo liner is contoured to fit, which is nice, but you need to cut out the cargo hook holes and feed the d-rings through the holes in order to prevent slippage of the mat.

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
DIY Prinsu style Roof Rack w/ Factory Side Rails:

Automotive parking light Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Automotive lighting

Before
Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood

After

Just finished this mod today. My plan is to use it to mount a 36 or 42" Plano case (for recovery gear, shovel, etc) and some traction boards like others do on their Prinsu racks.

More details in this other forum thread - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ge...of-rack-with-t-slotted-aluminum-8020.1129809/

Order the parts. I used Tnutz. It came super fast to me in Montreal. I think their distributor must be in Dorval. Available in US as well. Cost me about $135 before shipping.
Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Circle

Assemble 8020 cross bars. I used locktite on each screw.
Window Stairs Wood Automotive tire Tints and shades
Take of back caps. Be careful as the plastic is old and brittle. Slide a trim hook / curved type tool between the gasket and the plastic on the inside. Pull outwards to release the tabs. You should here it "pop" a bit when its released. Then slide the whole assembly toward the rear. This is honestly the most difficult step. I cracked one of mine a bit but it still holding when I put it back on.
Automotive tire Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grey

two lines are approx where the tabs are. Slide a tool between the cap and the rubber gasket and pull toward the roof.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bicycle part Helmet Tread
Vertebrate Hood Waste container Wood Branch
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Window Automotive design

Loosen and remove factory cross bars

Slide 8020 cross bars with their tnuts into the channels
. I used a rubber mallet to help me move it forward as the cross bar lengths I ordered were just the right size. If you want to go down to 6/8 you could, but mine fits pretty flush against the metal sider rails

The actual length of the slotted track on the factory side rails is only about 36" so thats pretty much the max size you can make the rack. I ordered 5 bars, could of done 6. 8020 extrusion is pretty versatile so if you wanted to some how put a longer side rail attached the same way and then mount the cross bars to it to extend the size of the overall platform you could.

Position the bars, and tighten down the nuts

Pop the back caps back on.

I haven't mounted anything yet, so depending on what t-nuts I order I may need to re-install the the appropriate mounting hardware by dissembling. some of the rack I believe there are some track nuts that you don't need to remove. Another option is to grind out part of the channels on each bar like Prinsu does so you can easily slide in more mounting hardware.

Automotive tire Bumper Gas Bicycle part Gun accessory

The OP over on this other thread had some holes bored to easily install accessory hardware. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ge...of-rack-with-t-slotted-aluminum-8020.1129809/

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Snow Hood

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Satoshi Grill:
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

C-Mod's Grill:
  • Took about 2 weeks to arrive, drop shipped to US from China
  • It made of fiberglass, so not quite as robust as the ABS plastic grill
  • Mounting points had to be drilled out
  • There are no bottom clips like the OEM grill to clip in the 3 mounting points on the bottom (use zip ties and turn)
  • There are metal flexible tabs that hold on the mesh T, so if you want to paint it you can. It game with a a gloss black on it
LC Emblem:
  • Ordered off Amazon.com/US
  • Plastidipped the white letters with Gunmetal Gray plastidip for a more subtle look, but not totally black which would of just looked like a mess. I was thinking of doing it in light gray/silver which would of given it that OEM look from newer toyota trucks. May switch it up down the line.
  • Ground down the back mounting pins with a dremel
  • Attached with Goop adhesive
  • Install for the badge I followed was from this video from Custom Car Grills (starts at min 3:30)
Final Thoughts:
Overall the grill is no where as robust as I hoped for the price tag, especially where it bolts on The other options:
  • Do the Satoshi Mod yourself with your own OEM grill
  • Order the new AER one that looks a bit more modern like the TRD Pro Grills on Tacomas, Tundras, etc.
  • Try to find a "Sport" Grill that was on some of the Chili editions I believe and just mod that.

Whats Next?
Fog light install with amber Laminx Covers
Black out of area around Fogs
Black out OEM headlights by cracking them open and painting

Here is a mock up of the fogs.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
547 Posts
I avoided buying that Chinese grill just for these reasons.

I myself am into the more retro look, so I try to keep with original RAV4.2 hardware as much as I can. The one thing I will say about the Chili or Sport grill is it's a simple bolt on replacement. The difficulty is finding one, much less color matched to your vehicle. Although I suppose I would pay to have it color painted if I had to. Currently looking for another one for my second RAV.

Enjoy your detailed thread, much better than I have the patience for (y)

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I avoided buying that Chinese grill just for these reasons.

I myself am into the more retro look, so I try to keep with original RAV4.2 hardware as much as I can. The one thing I will say about the Chili or Sport grill is it's a simple bolt on replacement. The difficulty is finding one, much less color matched to your vehicle. Although I suppose I would pay to have it color painted if I had to. Currently looking for another one for my second RAV.

Enjoy your detailed thread, much better than I have the patience for (y)
I have to admit the OEM grill has really grown on me. Especially with the prevalence of "TOYOTA" style grills these days. I'm def going to hold on to it.

My brother had a 79' FJ40 when I was younger and i always loved the classic grill. I modded my Tacoma to also have one. Old habits die hard.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I hear you, I tried to make my '02 Tundra look like a late model too. I've become grumpy in my older age and now I don't want my RAV to be mistaken for newer models. I'm trying to bring the OG look back. My RAV have been confused as an old Subaru or Suzuki Sidekick on the trails so I guess I'm doing something right :LOL:

Tire Car Vehicle Grille Automotive tire

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
DIY LED Footwell Lights Controlled by Dash Dimmer:
Speedometer Trip computer Car Vehicle Odometer
Automotive design Satellite radio Flash photography Audio equipment Gear shift

I picked up some cheap LED's from the auto store and spliced them into my ash tray light and cigarette lighter ring light. Since those lights are all dimmable they are controlled by my dash dimmer. Pretty easy access through the lower center console. Went with amber to match my interiors. Photos don't do the color matching justice.

Next: I plan to do footwell lights in white wired into the dome circuit to come on when the doors open, etc

Heated Seat Wire Harness??
Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fixture Vehicle

While I was doing the above project. I found these two wire harnesses stuck to the back of my dummy switchplates. They seem to match the same colors of open connectors on the bottom of my seats where the other seat related wiring is. Really tempts me to buy the heated seat kit off ebay if all the wiring is there already...

Anyone know what these are?

Fog Light Stalk Switch / Fog Relay:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

I went to the junk yard a few days ago to pick at another 04 Rav. Sadly one of the OEM fogs was smashed and the other one was so yellowed I didn't think they were worth taking, but I did get an OEM light stalk and pulled a few relays to enable my fogs. I lucked out and my car's fog light wiring is already installed. Just needed the stalk, the relay, and the fogs. I have a set of Winjet fogs waiting to go on (going to tint them amber before install and waiting in the lamin-x in the mail). Did the stalk install without having to take off the steering wheel, wasn't too tough!

Heated Mirror Install:
The junkyard Rav had 1 heated mirror that I got (the driver side door had been taken in its entirety). For those new to this game, the wiring is already there for heated mirrors - controlled by the defroster. Just need to find some OEM or aftermarket ones and install them. If you are junking you can just carefully pull off the mirror glass (tilt it all the way up, and put your fingers on the bottom and pull up and away (it needs a bit of force). When you get it off if you see two wires attached to the glass, you are in business.

Most Ravs with color matched mirrors likely have mirror heaters based on the trim levels. This one was blue in color - I just popped off my black mirror cap from my existing mirror and popped it back. on.

Now to just find a driver side one to complete the mod.

Upcoming Mods:
  • Gentex Mirror in Amber with Compass
  • White Footwell Lights linked to Dome
  • Finish Fog Install

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yes, color matched mirrors do indicate heated applications on '04-'05 models. It was one of the few exclusive benefits on the Limited package - color matched, heated mirrors.

And yes, the wiring behind the dash does power heated seating elements. I'm actually installing some OE heated leather seats in my second RAV soon. Things to remember: Not all leather RAV seats were heated, so be careful of that. The OE seats are typically in rough condition after this many years, so I'm installing seat covers over them. Don't forget to pull the buttons out of the lower console for operation.

On the Gentex mirror install, I'd like to do something like this too. Because I have a modern GPS install in both my RAVs, I'm actually missing an OAT (Outside Air Temperature) display. I would love to have a mirror like the Gentex that displays temp instead . . .

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes, color matched mirrors do indicate heated applications on '04-'05 models. It was one of the few exclusive benefits on the Limited package - color matched, heated mirrors.

And yes, the wiring behind the dash does power heated seating elements. I'm actually installing some OE heated leather seats in my second RAV soon. Things to remember: Not all leather RAV seats were heated, so be careful of that. The OE seats are typically in rough condition after this many years, so I'm installing seat covers over them. Don't forget to pull the buttons out of the lower console for operation.
Nice! I was hoping maybe i'd stumble across some in the next few months, but like you said I bet they are in pretty rough shape after nearly 20 years.

I used to have cloth heated seats in two VWs and I actually loved them because leather get so cold in the winter. I may tackle that project in the coming weeks. I'm a freelancer and work is always slow in January, so trying to put my free time to use.

On the Gentex mirror install, I'd like to do something like this too. Because I have a modern GPS install in both my RAVs, I'm actually missing an OAT (Outside Air Temperature) display. I would love to have a mirror like the Gentex that displays temp instead . . .
There are a few models that display Compass and Temp that are compatible but they all have a green display (I think they can be modded to any color as its just a gel). I'm gonna stop by the wrecker soon to pull one out of a Nissan that are orange.

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Raptor Style Lights on 4.2?

I bought some 3/4" amber LED's from the auto store to do my foot well lights (found them easier to work with than strip lights for that project). I had a few left over and thought I'd see if they fit in the lower bumper grill with out modification - and they do.

Not sure I'm going to do this as it may be a "too much" but here are two mock ups.

One is non destructive using 2 LEDs - they just pop into the center hole on the far and left and right grill inserts - the rubber gromets that come with them hold them in by pressure.

The other would be 5 lights centered in each of the grills inserts. You would have to drill.dremel out some of the plastic to center them as the middle inserts don't have a centered diamond hole (or you could just move them up a bit to get centered holes, but they wouldn't be centered int he grill.

Wire them into your fog or parking light harness.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Snow Car
Mock up of 2 centered in their grills. Non destructive.
(photoshopped amber fogs)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Snow

Mock up with 5 centered in each grill insert, Have to drill out middle 3 grills to fit lights (photoshopped amber fogs)
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Insert rubber grommet into the grill mesh, then insert light. Super easy.
Automotive lighting Audio equipment Font Gadget Auto part

Can finde these anywhere online and auto stores

Does anyone know if there was an actual grill insert for this hole? I've never seen an image with one in online, yet I feel like a parts diagram from toyota alludes to it being there?
Asphalt Water Automotive tire Snow Font

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Overhead Console Mod:
Luggage and bags Bag Gas Gadget Cameras & optics

I decided to mod my overhead console (no 4.3 consoles at the junkyard yet to try that). I installed some of the same lights I got from the auto store into the sunglass holder and added lighted switches. I kept the orange theme going (I like red map lights, but I read a bunch on BMW blogs how orange is a good middle ground - and it matches my other lighting)

I will wire this to the main power thats available for the existing map lights. I then will put the clear bulb back in the existing map lights and wire it to the dome system like described in this other thread. Then the button that controls the exiting map light will trigger all the white lights in the car, while I still have independent night vision friendly map lights on demand.

Things I will change:
I may pick up a closer can of spray paint to color match it more so it looks more OEM. But this gun-metal gray plastidip I had on hand doesn't look bad. I may just pull another sunglasses holder and just do it once more with better measurements.

UPDATE:
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Tire Vehicle
Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Car Amber
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive design

The orange switches I bought were total junk and basically fell apart. I bought newer more robust switches for a few more dollars at Canadian Tire. I decided to give up on painting all the accents to color match and just let the black ride (ill post a photo of it in the daylight.

So I finished the "Map light wired to Dome system" mod today and wired this thing up. It took some time as the the photos were gone from the mod thread, ( I added new ones to help people out down the line).

After doing the above mod, I soldered the wiring onto the switches of the custome map lights (spade connectors made it so I couldn't close the sunglass holder), Grounded the lights with the small screws that screw the console to the metal roof and ran my power wire to a spice in the original map light power source.

Boom, night vision friendly map lights, and my old map light is now on the dome system. Feel like im getting into a brand new car at night!

Attachments

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Beginning of Heated Seat Mod:

Car Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Rim

We've established at 04-05's are pre-wired for heated seats. That leaves the following items:

1. LH/RH switches
  2. The seat heaters themselves
  3. Install the seat heaters (its gonna be a lot of work, but it was minus 20C in Montreal this week)
The seat heater switches that come with the available heated seat kids online for Toyota's have the wrong size switches that won't fit our dummy panels. I looked up the pricing to order these switches and It was looking very very expensive ($85 a switch CDN, plus taxes, and the shipping was insane for how small they were). I can't remember the exact quote but it was over $200. Junk yard it is!

I figured out through some Landcruiser forums that certain models have the same size dummy cutouts our Rav's do. And they were all looking for heated seat switches. Where did they get them? Lexus RX300s from the late 90s.

I punched in the info and found a junker 1999 RX 300 at my local wrecker. Sure enough, heated seat witches that have the right connectors and functioned for $5 a piece!

The only catch is these switches were designed to sit horizontal in the Lexus and the Cruiser - so ill have to get creative to get the little HI/LOW/Seat icons to look correct

So - now we source heated seat inserts.

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
12v Switch Panel in Rear:

Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive tire Vehicle door Automotive exterior

I plan to use the Rav to crash/camp out of in on my yearly trip west to Montana/New Mexico and I wanted to give the tailgate area some love as its where I used to spend all my time when I had my Tacoma.

Picked up a "opened item" BlueSea panel off Amazon for discount. Super well constructed (buy once, cry once). Switchable, 12v cig socket, dual USB and voltmeter (in orange of course!)

I really wanted to mount it where the red box is just above the existing 12v socket its, but after removing the entire trim panel (I had planned to bring it inside to cut it with my dremel) I saw that there is part of metal the body that buts right up against and the sockets would not fit. I am glad I checked first before just cutting into it!

I decided to sacrifice my little cargo storage cubby where I keep my first aid kit. With the trim panel removed I disconnected the existing 12V, drilled a hole in the trim panel and ran it up into the cubby. After installing the switch panel on the cubby door I just put everything back together.

After I wire a new 12V USB socket by the shifter I am going to complete the "12v always on" mod by installing a jumper.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
2004, Automatic
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Blackout of Interior Silver Trim / Head Unit Swap:

Car Vehicle Gear shift Steering part Speedometer

Before
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive design

After
Gear shift Speedometer Car Vehicle Steering part

(promo photos of a limited)

I really wanted to get rid of the early 2000's vibes with the silver trim in the car. I picked up a headunit from a 2012 Rav4 for $30 bucks on marketplace. It fits exactly in exactly (had to swap the mounting brackets) in the existing hole, is all black (vs my silver/black one) and has orange back lights. I've got to some adapters on order to get full functionality (the antenna was non-standard that year, and I need to connect either the parking brake or the VSS wire or Park wire to get the built in Bluetooth to allow me to set it up. The radio/lighting/speaker connections were plug and play).

I'm not really a fan of the apple car play / android auto units. What I really wanted was just a head unit with blue tooth. I've driven my brother's Tundra a bit and he has it, and I just prefer having my phone mounted in a good position. I use and swear by this mag mount from from WixGear (had it on 2 diff cars, my wifes car and gifted them to so many people)

Car Automotive design Satellite radio Radio Personal luxury car
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Steering wheel

Black Trim:

When I was at the wrecker I pulled some black door handle trim inserts off 2003, and then plastidipped the remaining trim black. I left the instrument clusters alone for the time being (the center one is removeable but the other 2 are behind the plastic). I'm debating what to do about the climate control knobs, as they are high traffic and I'm worried anything paint/dip I put on them won't last long.

Vehicle Car Steering wheel Mirror Automotive design

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts