Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 RAV4 body and interior in excellent condition. I'm the original owner. It needs a transmission and probably major engine work due to burning oil.

I have a teenager who needs a car. I could buy a used car for a few thousand or I could use the same money to fix up the RAV4. I'm leaning towards fixing it since I know the history of this vehicle very well. I would pay someone to do the repairs. I know a good mechanic.

Anyone out there do a similar project? Was it worth it?

Thanks, Peter

·
Registered
91 Posts
the easy way out is to find a complete engine/transmission assy from a wreck and swap them out.

what is the car really worth, and what is the cost of a used drivetrain and labor to install it.

cost vs benefit.

Because when the kid wrecks it after you drop 7 grand into it for an engine/transmission/labor, the insurance company is only going to give you 4

·
Registered
54 Posts
How many miles on the Rav and where has it been used. A 2004 Rav with no road salt corrosion may be worth rebuilding.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Your car is only worth keeping if your mileage is very low and has no rust. A car with engine and transmission problem can cost well over 3 to 4 thousand. The car is close to 13 years old so maybe it is better to cut your loss now. Consider starting fresh with a newer and better condition low mileage car than sinking more money in that money pit.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Got $4,500 in trade for an '04 with 150k on it.

You be the judge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies! It has about 160k on it. That's when the tranny went. It had been using maybe a quart of oil a month.

It's been in the SF Bay Area and mostly used as a family car. It has been to the mountains occasionally including some dirt roads but no off road. No rust. Haven't had any suspension, chassis or electrical issues but I suppose that is bound to happen eventually.

Side air bags would be possible in a newer car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well considering how old it is you may want to look for a good used 2004-2005 RAV4 if you like the 4.2's. It may be cheaper in the long run and less headaches.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
I'd put it on CL and see if some mechanic wants to repair and use or resell it. My niece did that with their 4.1 when it overheated and blew a head gasket. It sold in one day.
Could also check our offers on a trade for a newer RAV4. As you said getting newer features that way.

As has been stated unless you keep it a long time you'll never recoup the several thousand dollars you'd be putting into it and an accident, regardless of who's at fault, can take it all away at any time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for everyone's thoughtful comments. I might try the CL route. Had a guy knock on the door already to see if I wanted to sell it. For a bit more I can get my teen something with side airbags that might last through college.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts