Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to ask a question that I've asked before on other forums, but got nowhere. :roll:

How does one access the stereo opening for the 2004+ RAV4? It is different from the 2001-2003, because unlike those years, the 2004-2005 does not have visible access screws next to the stereo and centre dash vents. I had my stereo professionally installed (primarily because I don't know how to do it myself :oops:), but eventually, I would like to access the stereo in order to install other stuff.

Thanks! :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 2 plastic trim pieces on both sides of the radio just "pop" out. Be careful not to break, but a carefully placed flat driver/knife will help your pry them out and off.

You will see 4 Phillips' head screws. Only 2 need to be removed to take out the air duct. I forgot which 2, but the other 2 hold the panel below the radio in.

Once the air duct is out, you will see 4 bolts holding the radio in. Two are set forward close to you, the other 2 deep into the cavity. Takes a size 10mm socket.

Enjoy

jerij

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jerij for your advice! After I posted my initial message, I assumed that those screws were hidden behind those two side "posts". I know those two plastic pieces are simply snapped into place. Could also you tell me exactly where the clips are? I might give it a try tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again! :D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine didn't really have clips. There are 2 "posts" on each side that slide into a shaft on the dash part. As I gently pryed outward while inserting the screwdriver/butter knife in at the bottom of the panel, the piece slowly pops out.

They must be fairly sturdy, I've had my radio out about 5 or 6 times now trying to get my satellite radio/IPOD to work the way I want it and they've never cracked, broken, or anything.

jerij

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jerij said:
Mine didn't really have clips. There are 2 "posts" on each side that slide into a shaft on the dash part. As I gently pryed outward while inserting the screwdriver/butter knife in at the bottom of the panel, the piece slowly pops out.

They must be fairly sturdy, I've had my radio out about 5 or 6 times now trying to get my satellite radio/IPOD to work the way I want it and they've never cracked, broken, or anything.

jerij
BTW, jerij, before I forget...

What kind of satellite radio receiver are you using in your RAV4? Are you using one those universal portable ones, or an add-on for your deck?

We don't have Sirius or XM in Canada yet, but as soon as the CRTC (the Canadian "FCC") approves, I'll seriously consider a Sirius receiver, but I don't know whether to get a Clarion-specific one for my deck, or a universal one that I can carry around, use inside the house, etc.

I too have an iPod (a mini, that is)... I use Velcro to attach the belt clip to one of the side posts on the dash, and attach the deck connector output from my Belkin car adapter to the AUX input at the back of my Clarion deck. :wink:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This will give you a little insight:

http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14615&highlight=

It gets kinda busy, but basically at the moment I'm using a Kenwood xxx902 receiver. That and the IPOD go thru a Kenwood "splitter" --xxS210A. I'm using a KCAR71 controller/modulator hooked up to my stock radio thru a PIE TOY03-AUX via my CD port on the back of the stock HU. The controller lets me switch between my IPOD and the Sirius.

I also have a PNP unit that I have in my home and can carry in my other vehicles.

Supposedly by February, the Scion will have a HU that will support Sirius and XM. I hope at that point to replace my Toyota HU with one of the Scion's and utilize the stock Toyota supplied Sirius at that point. I've had a vehicle with full integration previously and am totally sold on the concept. It's just much nicer having everything controlled from one point.

My current system is as seamless as I can get it without changing out to an aftermarket HU. I don't mind using a Scion since it will fit in the dash and will interface with the rest of the vehicle.

jerij

**For those of you who would never "pay" for radio. I can still remember when the thought of paying for TV was unheard of.
Satellite radio is light years ahead of anything else in its medium.
I virtually never listen to my AM/FM/Cassette/CD period.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...OK, next step?

Hi jerij,

I finally pried open the two trim pieces to expose the screws. :) I undid the four screws that were visible, but still, I was not able to pull the stereo out. I think I have to undo the hex bolts that are behind the install kit. Are there any other screws or bolts that I should be aware of?

I'm taking my car back to the store next week because it turns out that there's something wrong with the Clarion deck that I bought last week. :(

BTW, thanks for the insight regarding Sirius. I too think that eventually satellite radio (or some form thereof) will be pretty much free-of-charge. Sirius's license to operate in Canada is still up for regulatory approval, but my guess is that it will be approved.

Thanks again. :D

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have experience with XM radio in my Rav. I had the Delphi SkyFi receiver hooked into my Alpine with a custom harness for the best signal quality possible. Used it for a year and ditched it because I didn't think it was worth the money, especially on my budget. It's a good technology but it needs improvemet. XM says they are near CD quality and that isn't really true, at least according to my ears. The sound quality is slightly lower than FM, mainly do to the type of digital compression and encoding they use for the signal. It's like listening to a low bit-rate MP3; it just lacks the depth of CD quality audio. Also, the programming is like cable TV, a million channels and still nothing good on...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EHinthe604 said:
I'm going to ask a question that I've asked before on other forums, but got nowhere. :roll:

How does one access the stereo opening for the 2004+ RAV4? It is different from the 2001-2003, because unlike those years, the 2004-2005 does not have visible access screws next to the stereo and centre dash vents. I had my stereo professionally installed (primarily because I don't know how to do it myself :oops:), but eventually, I would like to access the stereo in order to install other stuff.

Thanks! :)
Hey whats up? You know whats so funny I have a chili edition - first person from my area in 2003. Anyways I replaced my stock speakers with clarion and found my stock were better :p I replcaed my front with the Infinity speakers with tweeters still not too impressed with the sound and I even added an amp. Anyways what did you end up doing with your speakers? And how old are you?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff said:
Also, the programming is like cable TV, a million channels and still nothing good on...
Nevertheless, still better than the choices of radio stations here in Vancouver. We have more radio stations per capita than LA (from what I heard from somebody), but we have lots of format duplication. Vancouver (metro) has a population of over two million, and we don't even have a full-time urban (hip-hop) radio station anymore. (I can't pick up KUBE 93, Seattle's urban station, too clearly, even with my new Clarion deck. :-()

As far as cable TV goes, aside from BET, CBC Newsworld, the local news and the occasional sporting event, I barely watch TV anymore. 8)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
csis_agent said:
Hey whats up? You know whats so funny I have a chili edition - first person from my area in 2003. Anyways I replaced my stock speakers with clarion and found my stock were better :p I replcaed my front with the Infinity speakers with tweeters still not too impressed with the sound and I even added an amp. Anyways what did you end up doing with your speakers? And how old are you?
Funny thing... I almost bought a RAV4 Chili back in 2003, but decided to hang on to my 1995 Tercel for another year.

Well, most likely, I will keep my speakers, in spite of all of that talk. :lol: If anything at all, I might upgrade my front pair of speakers with components, and/or add a self-powered sub. Again, I have no plans. :)

BTW, I'm 27.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EHinthe604 said:
csis_agent said:
Funny thing... I almost bought a RAV4 Chili back in 2003, but decided to hang on to my 1995 Tercel for another year.

Well, most likely, I will keep my speakers, in spite of all of that talk. :lol: If anything at all, I might upgrade my front pair of speakers with components, and/or add a self-powered sub. Again, I have no plans. :)

BTW, I'm 27.
Oh cool. There aren't very many young people with Rav4's - especially around BC. I'm 19 btw.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
csis_agent said:
EHinthe604 said:
csis_agent said:

BTW, I'm 27.
Oh also funny thing is that I wanted a silver chili edition as well as a sunroof option - I even contacted toyota customer department and told them that. Next year it comes in silver, the year after this year it comes with sunroof automatically!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just reading the beginning of this thread, may I suggest that anyone wanting to pop a plastic piece off from anything consider using a thin metal putty knife instead of a flat blade screwdriver or knife.

A plastic putty knife would be too thick to fit and the wider blade of a metal one would give more leverage when applying any force. Plus, if sufficiently thin you can get it back far enough not to cause any surface scratching.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
csis_agent said:
Oh also funny thing is that I wanted a silver chili edition as well as a sunroof option - I even contacted toyota customer department and told them that. Next year it comes in silver, the year after this year it comes with sunroof automatically!!
I hear ya loud and clear! It seems like every young person in Vancouver either drives a Japanese or European sports car, or a mid- or full-size SUV. No, I see very few young people among RAV4 drivers here in Vancouver. They're mostly people in our parents' age bracket! I guess many young people prefer the looks of big SUVs or sports cars over compact SUVs. Even the Honda Element (my distant second choice while shopping for my car), with which Honda attempted to target our age bracket, actually has an average driver age of over 40!

During our outings to the Okanagan, we always see full-size pickups and SUVs on the road. In an August 2000 trip to Kelowna, we didn't see our first compact SUV (a Honda CR-V) until the third day of our trip!

Too bad I didn't wait till 2005 to get a Chili RAV4 because the 2005 comes with sports pedals and power moonroof! :roll: Oh well, it would have been cool to get a 2005 Chili RAV4 with all of the extra goodies, but I'm happy with my 2004. :lol:

And, oh yeah, my RAV4 is a Silver too. It seemed like the RAV4 in Canada was available in a wider variety of colours than previous years. For instance, Blue (which was one of my choices, but not a Chili colour) was not available in Canada for a few years, I think. I even test drove an Everglades (light metallic green) Package B, which looked pretty nifty.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stoic said:
Just reading the beginning of this thread, may I suggest that anyone wanting to pop a plastic piece off from anything consider using a thin metal putty knife instead of a flat blade screwdriver or knife.

A plastic putty knife would be too thick to fit and the wider blade of a metal one would give more leverage when applying any force. Plus, if sufficiently thin you can get it back far enough not to cause any surface scratching.
Thanks for the info! I have already been able to pull off the two plastic trim pieces to expose the screws. However, after removing the four visible screws, I still haven't been able to move my stereo! Are there any screws or bolts that I forgot to take off?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah the year the chili edition came out I only had a choice of black and white. And I love black but it is so hard to maintain. And my 2nd choice was blue, and my 3rd choice was silver. The chili edition was the right way for Toyota to move, now they need to be more user friendly with options. e.g. if a person wants to add fog lights or even fender-flares - those would make it look more muscular. My ride gets so many compliments people don't even think its a Rav4 so thats a good sign.

What other modifications do you plan on doing?

I might buy a 2006 Rav4 - its going to be redesigned completely - I may choose the chili edition if they have it. Or I am considering the new RX400h Lexus - which is a huge price jump so I have no idea yet what I will be doing.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
csis_agent said:
Yeah the year the chili edition came out I only had a choice of black and white. And I love black but it is so hard to maintain. And my 2nd choice was blue, and my 3rd choice was silver. The chili edition was the right way for Toyota to move, now they need to be more user friendly with options. e.g. if a person wants to add fog lights or even fender-flares - those would make it look more muscular. My ride gets so many compliments people don't even think its a RAV4 so thats a good sign.

What other modifications do you plan on doing?

I might buy a 2006 RAV4 - its going to be redesigned completely - I may choose the chili edition if they have it. Or I am considering the new RX400h Lexus - which is a huge price jump so I have no idea yet what I will be doing.
I guess both extremes of the colour spectrum - black and white - are the two hardest colours to maintain. :roll:

Toyota Canada introduced the RAV4 Chili to target the youth market, but it seems like almost every Chili on the road (except for mine :lol:) has a 40+ driver behind the wheel. Nevertheless, it is a good option trim level for those who want the little extras of Package B, but not all of the bells and whistles included in Package C. Too bad the Chili doesn't come with ABS (whereas every 2004 RAV4 in the US comes with ABS). :(

I plan to keep my car for a while. I had my 1995 Tercel for nine years, so I plan to keep my RAV4 for just as long, give of or take. Originally, I wanted to buy a Tacoma, but always had the idea of the RAV4 on the back of my mind. I decided to go with the RAV4 instead of the Tacoma because, first, they didn't have anymore of the trim level that I wanted - 4x4 V6, Value package, WITHOUT TRD off-road, 5-speed, XtraCab - and all I found were TRD off-road with automatic! Second, although I've always been a pickup fan since I was little, I have no practical need for a pickup, and I decided to get something less costly to own and operate (gas!). The RAV4 turned out to be an awesome choice! 8) I need the cargo room to fit my bike and other stuff. A Tacoma would be overkill for me, but still a nice truck. :p

The Lexus RX400h is definitely going to be a hot item when it enters the marketplace... the first luxury hybrid SUV. I can't wait till the Highlander hybrid enters the Canadian market (supposed to enter the US market later this year).

What else do I plan to do with my car? Well, I have no plans at this stage - mainly for monetary reasons. :wink: I've already sunk a lot of money for the spoiler, hood defector and side window visors - not to mention the new Clarion deck. I might add little cosmetic things here and there (air freshener, exhaust tip, shift knob, etc.), but again, I have no concrete plans. :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Lexus RX400h is definitely going to be a hot item when it enters the marketplace... the first luxury hybrid SUV. I can't wait till the Highlander hybrid enters the Canadian market (supposed to enter the US market later this year).

What else do I plan to do with my car? Well, I have no plans at this stage - mainly for monetary reasons. :wink: I've already sunk a lot of money for the spoiler, hood defector and side window visors - not to mention the new Clarion deck. I might add little cosmetic things here and there (air freshener, exhaust tip, shift knob, etc.), but again, I have no concrete plans. :)[/quote]

Let me know when you get your chrome exhaust tip. If I keep my Rav4 I want to get one but I guess I've just been waiting. Do you have MSN messenger by any chance?

There aren't many Chili editions around here. I've only seen one other - a white one. But when I'm the city - Vancouver - I see lots more. I see mostly black. Such a hard color to keep in good shape - but nevertheless looks stealth when its maintained. My only regret is getting an auto over a manual :( I was only 17 when I bought it - what was I thinking.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts