Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I was driving my friend's 2004 RAV4 with all wheel drive on the interstate in light rain (straight road). All of a sudden the traction control light came on and the truck veered into the left lane. I was able to get it straightened out. My friend took it to the Toyota Dealer the next day but they could not find anything wrong. The traction control light has not come on since. Any ideas?
Thanks....

Rick46

·
Registered
31 Posts
hmm
as far as I know(I'm not an expert) the ESP(electronic stability program) works by detecting differences in wheelspeed and activates the brakes individually to stop the car from skidding sideways. if there was water on the road an you had waterplanning(is this the correct english word for it?) your ESP might sense it as if the car was skidding, and then activated the breaks on the left front wheel a little?

if so happened. the system problably was thinking that your car had a skid towards the left(rear end of the car going to the left), because the system activated the breaks on the left front wheel, which is a normal reaction for the system to stop a skid to he left.

on winter conditions the system works great! I just wish it had a switch so I turn it off to have some fun!! (but if you make shure that all 4wheels are spinning... the system is confused an you can make great powerslides)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts