Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a 2004 that started acting weird, slow slipping starts , then a thump and its ok in 2nd 3rd 4th. Also harder than normal going into reverse. I've come to realize its not actually going into first, its starting in 2nd and the thump is when it locks into 2nd. I've altered my driving to slow starts knowing that. It throws a p0776 code which says it is not in the gear the ecm says it should be, probable cause is a sticking sl2 solenoid. I changed all the solenoids, no change. Cleaned the filter and changed fluid at same time, another possible cause. Dropped the pan again and removed and cleaned valve body, checked that all the valves were moving freely, no change. I'm kinda stumped , has anybody ever heard of this problem. I saw some posts about the ECM and watched video about the resolder thing but my ECM is a different style. The resistors that are supposed to be the problem are not in this one. Any idea what can be my next step. thanks

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Well you tried so the next thing to do is to take it to a good mechanic to see what is wrong. It is possible the transmission is damaged in which case you will not be able to fix yourself.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Possible causes
  • Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid
  • Faulty line pressure solenoid 'B' valve
  • Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve harness is open or shorted
  • Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve circuit poor electrical connection
Tech description
When the a transmission solenoid is stuck off, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Also, did you see this page:
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0776

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Possible causes
  • Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid
  • Faulty line pressure solenoid 'B' valve
  • Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve harness is open or shorted
  • Line pressure solenoid 'B' valve circuit poor electrical connection
Tech description
When the a transmission solenoid is stuck off, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Also, did you see this page:
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0776
I've found info on the u241e trans and the ecm but the diagrams I'm seeing don't seem to match the rav. The testing portion of the paper work shows the ecm as having 4 plugs and gives wiring terminal numbers but the ecm in my rav has 5 with 1 empty in the middle. that matches what I'm seeing when I google it as far as repair places go. The solenoid testing portion of the trans shows the plug on the trans as having 10 equaly spaced terminals but the receptacle only has 9.Just trying to find correct info somewhere to do proper testing instead of throwing money at it

·
Registered
2001, Toyota RAV4 auto 4x4
1 Posts
I've found info on the u241e trans and the ecm but the diagrams I'm seeing don't seem to match the rav. The testing portion of the paper work shows the ecm as having 4 plugs and gives wiring terminal numbers but the ecm in my rav has 5 with 1 empty in the middle. that matches what I'm seeing when I google it as far as repair places go. The solenoid testing portion of the trans shows the plug on the trans as having 10 equaly spaced terminals but the receptacle only has 9.Just trying to find correct info somewhere to do proper testing instead of throwing money at it
Is your RAV4 a 2.0 4x2 2WD or 2.4 4x2 2WD or 2.5 4x2 2WD?
Or is it a 2.0 4x4 AWD?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well you tried so the next thing to do is to take it to a good mechanic to see what is wrong. It is possible the transmission is damaged in which case you will not be able to fix yourself.
Is your RAV4 a 2.0 4x2 2WD or 2.4 4x2 2WD or 2.5 4x2 2WD?
Or is it a 2.0 4x4 AWD?
Sounds like you need to rebuild your ECU/computer. All 2001 to 2005 have defective ECUs that will cause that shifting problem. You need to rebuild your ECU before you damage your transmission. The problem is Toyota / Fujistsu used defective solder that micro cracks over time, depending on the temp.,/climate, mileage and bumbs. Fujistsu did this to their consumer electronics, medical gear and RAV4 ECUs. The ECU is giving out false info and erroneous P codes. I've had 3 RAV4s with this, 2003 and 2005. This is common known problem with 2001 - 2005.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts