Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a fog light fill up with water within days of buying the 2005 RAV4, so I took it back to the dealer to get replaced. The fog light they replaced it with was the same part number, but had a full cone shield over the bulb. The original only had a partial cone over the bulb. The replacement also was more gold in color on the reflector. That replacement lasted about a week, and started to leak. They replaced it again, and that one leaked as well. All the replacement lights were off color and had full cones. I now had fog lights that did not match. What I ended up doing was contacting the dealership owner, who swapped two full cone fog lights off a new RAV4. At least both now match and both are clear color reflectors.

Next time you are at the dealership, check out the fog lights. There appears to be two different models - full cone and partial cone, and the parts replacements are very poor quality - they leak and the reflector is not clear, but more gold in color.

Has anyone had problems with the fog lights leaking or poor quality replacements?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have only had my 05 for a few weeks but I haven't noticed any problem with moisture collecting in the fog lights. Based on your post I will keep an eye on them.

I wonder if the change you mention is a mid year production part change. If so I wonder why they made the change.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leaky Fog Lights - Two different designs - Same Part Numbers

The Toyota dealer had not noticed it until I pointed out that half of their 2005 cars on the lot had one type of foglight (full umbrella style), and the others had the other (partial umbrella style). All the lights on the cars were silver in color, and very shiny. The beam pattern is slightly different between the two umbrella styles.

The service replacement parts were the full umbrella style had a gold tone to them, like they had switched suppliers or something mid year. All were Kotto brands with identical part numbers, and every one of them leaked.

You could see the quality difference in the foglights without even turning on the lights, the gold color was that different.

Toyota need to address this issue because anyone getting a fog light replaced under warranty will not get a matching fog light that is the same design or color. I had 3 leaky gold colored replacements until they finally pulled off a new silver pair off a new car on the lot - no more problems. I had my choice of full or partial umbrella styles. I went with the full umbrella, as that was the same design as the replacement parts, just in case I needed another one.

All I wanted was a matching set of foglights that did not leak.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I just checked mine and they appear to be the full umbrella design at least as far as I can tell. Based on your report I plan to keep and eye on mine. It would seem uncharacteristic of Toyota to have batches of poor quality assemblies.

·
Registered
682 Posts
One of the Aussie members from RAV4OZ.com also had a leaky fog light replaced under warranty. The RAV4.2s arent built as well as the RAV4.1s were.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blistering

I've also noticed both fog lamps, which are only about 2 months old, are blistering on the reflective surface, right above where the bulb site, maybe an area 1/4" round on the reflective surface. I am using standard 55W 9006 bulbs, not anything over wattage that might cause something like this.

These fog lights are really poor quality.

Rather than take my chances at the dealer, I think I can live with it. The dealer fog lamps all leaked.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts