Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I'm currently in the market for a new vehicle. Initially, I was trying to decide between the Honda CRV and the RAV4 but I decided on the RAV4. The only issue I have with the RAV4 is that it is smaller than the CRV......but I hear the 2006 is bigger (and better?). I want a car NOW but the selection of 2005 RAV's are limited (looking for a fully loaded, limited edition in white or black). I'm thinking of waiting for the 2006's but from everything I've heard, unless you get a V6, it may be sluggish! Fuel economy is one of the reasons I'm not looking at something bigger so I don't think I want the V6!
I'm confused! Can someone help?! Should I go with the 2005 (smaller) RAV4 or a 4cylinder 2006? Also, I can't find a thing in regard to pricing for the 2006 models. Will they be around the same price as a 2005? Right now, I know I can get a fully loaded Limited edition 2005 for about $25-$26.

Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!! HELP (please)

·
Registered
233 Posts
2006 all the way. It will be subantially improved and be close to the same price. It will not be that much more sluggish than the CRV or the 05. If you wan't a SUV and good gas mileage, you will have to make a trade off. You could spend $38,000 and get a hybrid Highlander, but unless gas gets to $8 a gallon it will never pay off. :shock:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Current best estimate on 2006s rolling into showrooms is sometime in December. Too early as of yet for pricing to have been announced. Can you wait that long? That may be the factor right there. Don't expect any deals on 2006s when they first come out, either.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
This is a tough call.

I would jump on an 05 if you can find one optioned close to what you want and the price is right. Toyota dealers should be making some pretty nice deals on vehicles sitting on the lot, especially when a revised model is about to be arriving.

If your budget or time frame is not tight, then you might want to wait and get a nice new model optioned exactly like you want. Just be prepared to pay the price.

Let us know what you decide.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked in with my toyota dealer, says the 06 is coming in late november to wrestle with the competition.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking at the Rav4 for my wife to replace a POS Chevy Venture. We are waiting for the 2006. To answer some of your questions regarding engine choice, mileage, price, etc., I will tell you what I have found in Denver, CO as told to me by my auto broker (a guy I have used for my last 2 vehicle purchases).

The 4 cylinder 2006's will be available in late November and the 6's in February.

Pricing on the new Ravs will be about $300 over 2005 (this is a guess by both the fleet manager at John Elway Toyota that I met with and the HM Brown auto broker rep).

There is no manual transmission. The Toyota manager felt that the refinement of the automatic transmission that Toyota puts in these negates any advantages you might have gained with a manual.

The 6 cylinder is the same as in the Avalon so you can look at those specs and reviews to get an idea of performance. Both of the guys I talked to expected gas mileage benefits in the 4 banger of 3 MPG city and 5MPG Highway. Seems high, but I found similar numbers on a few other sites as well as looking at the 4 cylinder Camry vs. the 6 Cylinder Camry (albeit a different one than the Rav4 V6).

Back to pricing. There was only one 2005 on the Elway lot and they are a huge dealership. I don't know how much they were negotiating. I saw an ad in the paper for $2000 under invoice but you know how hokey most of those bait and swith ads are.

That said, I am paying INVOICE + my auto broker fee of $500. They also waive that dealer prep fee that you see at some dealers. They can't waive the shipping and handling (nor can the dealer). I purchased my 2001 F250 Diesel crew cab Lariet under the same terms and my 2005 Pilot the same way with the same terms when both of these were quoted at around $2000 over invoice by local dealers (I bought them in the fall of 2000 and 2004 when dealers were putting the screws to the consumer for the "new" models).

I would advise you to look for a broker or talk directly to the Fleet Manager at your Toyota dealerships and tell them this is what you want. I would also go for the 2006 for the simple fact it is a year newer if anything. The fact that it was completely redesigned is another obvious reason to buy the 2006. It is almost identical in size to the Highlander and costs much less.

These are my 2 or 3 cents for what it is worth. I am glad I found this forum. I solicited much information from the Honda Pilot forum before commiting to that car and have not regretted that decision. Based on all the good feedback on the Rav 4, I am comfortable buying the 2006 sight unseen (I test drove a 2005) over the dated looking CRV.

Thanks! Eric

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm also in the market for a small SUV. I've been looking at the CRV, the Forester, and the RAV. While I like the way 05 RAV drives and looks, I'm waiting for the '06. Basically I'd like just a little more room and the new RAV definitely provides it. It will be interesting to compare the V6 and 4-banger, but I'd suspect the 4 should suffice unless you intend on towing, or hauling people around. Just a matter of test-driving the two if you can wait. Everyone's definitely anxious to check the new one out.

Keep in mind that new generations/models typically have glitches and kinks that need to be worked out (although with Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc. that shouldn't be as much of an issue compared to American makers). But that still wouldn't keep me from buying the 06 RAV if I really like the way it drives, etc.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't wait for the 2006 to come out. I really like what I am seeing. I am all for the 3rd row seat :lol: (I have kid issues) and the dvd player, sunroof. It has everything I want. Whenever I talk to the dealers they tell me they won't be available until spring even tho I thought they would be available the end of the year. The waiting is killing me.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback! It's a great help in my decision making process. Right now, I have eliminated the CRV totally.... it's too dated, and much more truck looking. It's the RAV4, for sure...... just don't know between the '05 or '06. One thing that I'm leary of is when they will actually be available! If I can get one towards the end of November, great! Don't know I want to hack out the winter with my tired, old minivan...lol! Then again, I don't believe there are any Limited Edition '05's left anywhere!

Just need a few more clarifications from all of you (if you could)......

Sounds as if the '06 will not be much more money than the '05.. is this true? (I do have a friend who is "tight" with a Toyota dealer.....won't steer me wrong.....right now, he's quoting me around $25,000 for a '05 Limited, fully loaded.)

Would a 4 cylinder on the '06 model be sufficient?

Didn't quite understand what some of you said about the difference in gas mileage with the 4 cylinder versus the 6 cylinder. I know the '05 models get around 23/27mpg....is that true of the '06 models?

Thanks again for all your help! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
SummreSun said:
Thank you, everyone, for your feedback!
I have somewhat of a different thing for you to think about than has been mentioned here. The 2005 model is relatively speaking, a "veteran" with all of the kinks worked out of it over the last four years. The dashboard rattle, and others like it that affected the 2001 through early 2004 models. The 2006 on the other hand is "completely redesigned" meaning that it's completely brand new, from the ground up.

It has been my experience in life to call these "version .zero" models, in that much like software, they will release the 2006 model then spend the next few years fixing all the little glitches, rattles, and so forth. The V6 they're putting in has also not been "consumer tested" in the RAV4, so -- again, solely in my mind -- these are all strikes against the 2006 in my book.

The fact that the 2006 doesn't offer a manual is an instant buzzkill in my book as well. There is no real "advantage" to a manual transmission any more (paraphrasing ericjohnson's response). It's a matter of preference. The difference to me between a "sport ute" and a "soccer mom's grocery getter".

For the record, while my 2005 isn't flawless (see the 4.2 thread on "love/hate relationship"), I absolutely adore it. It's just like a car company however to finally get something right, then decide to go and screw it all up. They've been doing that to us since the 1967 Corvette

:)

Sincerely, best of luck to you, but personally, I'd go with the 2005 for all the reasons I outlined above. The only strike I can think of against the 2005 against the 2006 would be the smaller size if you need to carry kids or more stuff.

Wayne

·
Registered
8 Posts
New to the forum and very impressed.

Comments about 2006 Rav. Overall I like it. Questions that remain for me include: Noticed dual climate which I love but no display of temperature settings. Is that hiding somewhere or we're not getting it.

Continue to wish the rear door was hinged at the top and the rear window could be opened seperately. Often need to throw something in the Vibe that might be a bit long, opening the rear window really helps.

I'd be in the market for the 4-cylinder, adequate for me. why no 5 speed automatic?? Otherwise I looking forward happily.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I forget where I saw it, but one picture had the temp setting showing (if it's an auto system, it has to be there).

In another picture, the location of the rear wiper lead me to believe that it will open on its own. The design is similar to what is on the Matrix. These 2 issues are also matters of interest with me.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vonnyvonce said:
New to the forum and very impressed.

Comments about 2006 RAV. Overall I like it. Questions that remain for me include: Noticed dual climate which I love but no display of temperature settings. Is that hiding somewhere or we're not getting it.
You can see the Climate Control/Clock display in this picture of this Japanese RAV4 from Tokyo Motorshow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hadn't seen the picture of the climate control display. Very nice and thank you. If the rear windows opens also it is going to be hard for me not to like this alot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts