Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found a 2005 Toyota RAV4, one owner and no accidents, 47,397 miles, for not quite $8,000. As per the Carfax, from 2005-2015, only registration was noted, then 9/9/16 "vehicle serviced," 1/16/17 routine maintenance, 2/8/17 "vehicle serviced," and then it went up for sale on 9/4/17.

I read around that paint issues were a problem for RAV4's and this one in question seems to have some pain issue above the driver's side brake light.

I was told the middle seat of the back is a "dummy" seat and is unusable due to the belt overlap. The three seats have shoulder seat belts, which I was also told is unusual. Is the middle seat unusable?

I read on carcomplaints that 2005 had excessive oil consumption as it head into the 100,000 miles and on.

We average 3,000 miles in 45 days, as a one car family. Our goal is 10-years owning a car, or at least 150,000 miles. So either this car will be 22-years-old in 10-years or we'd have the car for 4/6 years going by mileage goals.

A 22-year-old car boggles my mind and 4/6-years owning a car would be the shortest span we'd ever own a car and seems, for lack of a better phrase, pointless of the investment. But I've read such great longevity posts about the RAV4, so maybe my hesitations are unfounded?

Given paint issues, potential oil issues, and our goals, would you consider this car? We'd have it looked over first, but we wonder if it's work the 45-minute drive to look at it.

Has any 2005er's experienced paint and oil problems?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
The rear middle seat can be used. The seat belt is attached from the ceiling. Have you sat in the back to try it out? The rear seats overall is not very comfortable and any passenger that sat at the back often complain about this. The Gen3 models (2006-2012) have more room at the back and the seats are much better. This is one of the main reason I traded it in. The Gen3 seats can move forward or backward for more or less room. Plus they recline too. The 2005 have the advantage that the rear seats are removable. (without any tools)

There does not appear to be any issue with oil consumption problem with my previous 05. It was common for 06 to 08 models mainly. I have never read anyone having oil consumption problem on a 2005.

Overall my 05 did not have many problems just the lock actuator on the driver side failing and a few holes in the exhaust pipe.

The 2005 is a very reliable vehicle which should last a long time if properly maintained. The price for your vehicle seems a bit high but the mileage is very low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear middle seat can be used. The seat belt is attached from the ceiling. Have you sat in the back to try it out? The rear seats overall is not very comfortable and any passenger that sat at the back often complain about this. The Gen3 models (2006-2012) have more room at the back and the seats are much better. This is one of the main reason I traded it in. The Gen3 seats can move forward or backward for more or less room. Plus they recline too.

There does not appear to be any issue with oil consumption problem with my previous 05. It was common for 06 to 08 models mainly. I have never read anyone having oil consumption problem on a 2005.

Overall my 05 did not have many problems just the lock actuator on the driver side failing and a few holes in the exhaust pipe.

The 2005 is a very reliable vehicle which should last a long time if properly maintained. The price for your vehicle seems a bit high but the mileage is very low.
No, we haven't seen the car in person. The dealership is a distance away, so we just wanted to be sure it was worth the drive.

The car is about $1,200 more than average around me, but they're usually 135,000+ miles, so I figure it makes sense to cost a bit more to get lower mileage.

I appreciate your feedback!

·
Registered
499 Posts
You can find a 2004-2005 RAV4 for sell near you. Just make a road-test like every buyer. If you like it; go see the one that interest you at 45 min from where you live.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts