Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this report, mentioning the "RAV4 with side air bags" as one of ONLY FOUR vehicles -- and the ONLY SUV!!! -- to receive a "double-best" rating by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. This is a distinctive honor, to say the least. Owners of the RAV4 with side air bags have one of THE safest cars on the road, period.

These stories are essentially the same, with slight differences in the telling. You actually have to read almost the entire article to see that the RAV4 is included in this select group. You'd think the dang headliner would be "new SUV among safest cars ever" but of course that would offend the PC news establishment.

Excerpts: Only four vehicles have earned the "Double best pick" rating from the Institute: Audi A4, Audi A6, the Saab 9-3 and the Toyota RAV4 with optional side airbags.

Along with another Audi, the A4, the A6 is one of four vehicles that have earned the designation of "double best pick" for exceptional performances in both front and side tests. The other two are the Saab 9-3 and the Toyota RAV4 with optional side airbags.

Links:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/iihs_luxury.html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/07/17/iihs_a6_m35/index.html

·
Registered
346 Posts
I know that some on here have lamented the lack of availability of side curtain airbags in some RAV configurations. I would think that a smart move for the 2007 model would be for side airbags to be standard on all configs...ok, that might be too expensive - maybe standard on all non-base configs.

With a glowing safety report like this, I would think Toyota would really want to play that feature up and use it to draw even more people to the vehicle. With a safety rating like this, that could put the RAV in place to make a real home-run for Team-Toyo. =)

-Brian

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the side impact test is a prior year. I don't think the 2006 has had side impact test done yet. :?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I guess I need new glasses

*peers closer at the original title*

Oh. =)
I Must have made an assumption since this was the 4.3 section. [1]

*I'm liking my 2005 RAV4 with side curtain airbags right about now*

-Brian

[1] As Samuel L. says, "Everyone knows, when you make an assumption, you make an ass out of 'u' and 'umption' "

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I goofed on the year - sorry!

This article came up from a google search (don't remember the keywords), and I never even noticed that it was the 2005 model they were referring to... It's still great news, as it refers to the previous model year(s) with the side air bags.

I'm sure the 2006 RAV4 with the extra bags will grade out very nicely in the final analysis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts