Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this car about 10 months with 10K miles on it. The rear brakes have started to make a clicking or popping noise when depressed. I had the Toyota dealer look at them, and they took them apart and applied an anti-sieze grease on the back of the pads, replaces the springs and clips on all 4 wheels. That seemed to work for about 2 days, then the popping / clicking came right back again. Now the front brakes have started to do the same thing. It's an annoying sound, like the pads are slipping or moving. I am not going backwards and forwards, only forwards when this happens. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Weird! No, I haven't had that experience on my 05 with 15k miles. I have done brake jobs on more vehicles than I care to remember, but the symptoms you describe don't sound familiar especially if they examined them and regreased the oem pads.

Judging from my wife's 99 RX300, Toyota seems to have mediocre oem pads at best. Her pads were replaced once within one year under warranty due to premature wear and factory recall, and then I replaced them about two years ago.

For the price of a nice aftermarket set of pads with more bite and less dust, you might be better off replacing the oems.

But you might want to give the dealer another shot at fixing the problem. Are there any factory TSBs out on RAV brakes? Some dealer's techs don't always check from my experience until you point them out or complain with repeat visits.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes

Thanks, I think I will give them another try at fixing them. It's almost like the pads are the wrong size and are moving back and forth.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine does the same thing (04 Rav4L, 24K miles). I think it's the brake pads shifting around. Examined them, they seem fine except for movement while braking, click, click.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Hmmm... me thinks it is time to send those ilfitting oem pads airborn. :lol:

Now, I'm going to keep an eye (o.k. ear) on mine. But for now mine are just fine.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm having the same sort of problem. But my clunking noise only happens when i'm in reverse and stopping. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the brake pad area. It's a hard call. I'll have to take off the tires and take a look.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the same issue for the past little while too. Honestly, I didn't think much of it until I read this thread. Again, it only happens when I'm reversing.

It just sounds like a faint "pop" upon initial contact, then goes away when I step on the brakes again.

Maybe I could mention it to the service folks when I'm next due for my 48000 km oil change.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a common problem on most makes of car.................why?

The reason is simple, longer service intervals, means the brakes have to last longer without inspection. So to stop the pads sticking in the carrier they are designed to have a little movement. :D
The down side is you can hear them click :(

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update...

Today, while driving in stop & go traffic along West Broadway, I noticed that the tapping occured even when I step on the brake while going forward! It happened only when I was trying to stop from about 10 km/h, but doesn't happen when I go faster or slower than that. Strange, huh? :roll:

It sound similar to the beat of a snare drum.

·
Registered
93 Posts
have the same experience, but the sound just happens when the brakes are cold, and when i apply the brakes from reverse to drive. 05, 16500 miles on them, guess the play from the pads come from normal wear and tear , its the shims from each of the pads that hold them that causes the sharp click

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bngski said:
have the same experience, but the sound just happens when the brakes are cold, and when i apply the brakes from reverse to drive. 05, 16500 miles on them, guess the play from the pads come from normal wear and tear , its the shims from each of the pads that hold them that causes the sharp click
Mine is a 2004, with 42616 km (about 26000 mi), with mostly city and urban highway driving, with minimal stop & go.

I was shocked when I heard the same problem while I was travelling forward! I thought the problem was limited to going in reverse.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've got it too, and I too at first thought it was when reversing but now I think it's maybe when changing direction, like the first time I brake after going to reverse from forward or the first time I brake after going to 1st from reverse. I'll have to pay attention to see if it's other times too.

I thought we had this discussion before and determined that it was something normal to do with the ABS system...unless this is a different sound or set of sounds. IIRC Kelly was involved in that previous discussion, I think he drove one at the port to confirm the sound. Perhaps he can shed some light on it?

Becky

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just to clarify a bit for my fellow CDN's......CDN RAVs have shoes and drums in the rear unlike the 4 wheel discs of our neighbors to the south.......to my knowledge... :?
With about 30k kms, the noise I hear from the rear of my '05, I've assumed is the self adjusters doing their thing. I have to admit they've gotten noisier over time.......normal wear and tear????

·
Registered
225 Posts
I hear the same thing as well. Usually when stepping on the brakes the first time, while still at a low speed, after changing directions (forward to backwards and vice versa). I hear it a lot while trying to make a u-turn at a very narrow street, or while getting in or out of a parallel parking slot.

So it looks like a common occurrence. Does anyone have a known set-up fix? :D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bluenoser said:
Just to clarify a bit for my fellow CDN's......CDN RAVs have shoes and drums in the rear unlike the 4 wheel discs of our neighbors to the south.......to my knowledge... :?
With about 30k kms, the noise I hear from the rear of my '05, I've assumed is the self adjusters doing their thing. I have to admit they've gotten noisier over time.......normal wear and tear????
Yes, you're correct. Canadian RAV4s don't have four-wheel disc brakes until the 2006 model year.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
visit link and info on noise

i posted this on this link - http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=52447#52447

i am from manila and i hope this will help you with the brake problems we all have/had. cheers

thank you for replying guys.... im a dude who really needs help. i had the shocks, bushings and all changed at toyota otis.does Class A Motorcraft do a good job when it comes to rattle and other unknown noises.?thank you mikelsy. autobeat, i had that problem before but it went away when i had my brakes serviced. 2 years ago, i had the master break changed, the guy from toyota otis said that hey recalled all who went back and i had the kit changed for free. thanks for replyin.kordz, thanks for the reply. anyway that damn noise gets louder everyday, now, i suspect it is the steering column ofr anything that is connected to it. thanks yall for the reply. hope we can get this topic to spread. when i first bought the rav4...i knew that the road noise ratio is terrible... i saw it from the reviews. thats why the grand vitara had an edge on that. but i never imagined it will go to this kind of magnitude. anyway hope to hear from all of you again thanks.cheers to all Very Happy

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: visit link and info on noise

drin said:
autobeat, i had that problem before but it went away when i had my brakes serviced. 2 years ago, i had the master break changed, the guy from toyota otis said that hey recalled all who went back and i had the kit changed for free.
drin, was it under warranty then, or was it already considered a "recall"? When I bring the Rav for PM at Toyota, I think they make some adjustments to the brakes, because immediately after the service, the noise is gone. My Ravs due back now, and the noise has gone back again. My Rav is already out of warranty. Can I still pursue a "recall" service from Toyota on this? Thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
at last!!

:D i had it fixed, no more noise!!!they changed the boot and bolts that connect the brake box together. the rubber (boot) was so soft so maintenance of that part is realy a prolem. when i saw the boot... half of it was missing. regarding break pad / disc clicking noise, i spoke with the toyota guys and they told me that it is normal. that it goes with the ravs wear and tear. all you have to do is lubricate the back of the break pads. or what i usually do.... i pump the breaks twice after i start reversing or moving forward. after that no more noise. hope youll get somthing from this post......

·
Registered
225 Posts
Drin, thanks for the update. Clarification if you could, on the "boots" replaced. Is this the rubber portion on the sliding bolts (2 per tire) or the rubber lining on the brake caliper/cylinder (1 per tire)? Thanks.

I don't know if you still have the removed parts. Can you still take a pic of them and post here? Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
that bloomin clicking noise

hi im jamie from essex,england,..my 2002 has very same problem ,have discs all round on my 4wd d4d ,both front and back pads click whilst reversing out of drive in morning or at slow speeds when going forwards...but only on cold starts..bizzaar.my rav has 45000 miles on clock...warranty ends in 2 days...ulp!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts