Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to install a new stereo with backup camera. I have the camera mounted and the video cable routed to the console by the driver side door. I cant seem to find anything anywhere about which wire is for the reverse light (to activate camera when in reverse). I thought i had the correct one (red/black) and the back wiper kept going even when turned off... Any help would be appreciated, only wiring diagrams i can find for 2005 show backup light wire in the engine compartment, but i know there has to be one under the dash somewhere.

· Registered
786 Posts
I cant seem to find anything anywhere about which wire is for the reverse light (to activate camera when in reverse).
Just a thought, but why wire it to the reverse light at all? One of the things I enjoy about installing new electronic equipment is not having the nanny limitations OEM units have. My Kenwood unit will split the infotainment screen to display rearview camera feed alongside navigation and music, in Park, Drive, or Reverse. Just an idea 💁‍♂️

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a thought, but why wire it to the reverse light at all? One of the things I enjoy about installing new electronic equipment is not having the nanny limitations OEM units have. My Kenwood unit will split the infotainment screen to display rearview camera feed alongside navigation and music, in Park, Drive, or Reverse. Just an idea 💁‍♂️
[/QUOTE
To be honest i dont really use the camera ever in my other vehicle, i just look behind me, but it came with it and i figured id use it. I ended up finding the wire though. Its a green/yellow wire that comes in from the driver side by the floor board if anyone else needs to know.

· Registered
2004 Rav4 L 4wd, 2005 Galactic gray 4runner V6 4wd
424 Posts
I have been trying to install a new stereo with backup camera. I have the camera mounted and the video cable routed to the console by the driver side door. I cant seem to find anything anywhere about which wire is for the reverse light (to activate camera when in reverse). I thought i had the correct one (red/black) and the back wiper kept going even when turned off... Any help would be appreciated, only wiring diagrams i can find for 2005 show backup light wire in the engine compartment, but i know there has to be one under the dash somewhere.
the head unit should have a reverse trigger wire, or you simply tap power from the reverse lights line to feed the reverse cam, since the reverse light only gets power when the car is in reverse.

the major disadvantage of this method is that you can only view the reverse cam when the car is in reverse

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.